PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Best Buy sucks - anyone else have this problem? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47035)

xxxjdoggxxx 11-29-2008 08:42 PM

Best Buy sucks - anyone else have this problem?

I bought a Touch Pro over a month ago from bb (first day they had them) and it is defective. After calling bb every weekend for over a month they finally have them in stock today. So I explained my situation to the person on the phone and they said since I have insurance through them they can send it in for repair (which he said will take up to 2 weeks and they don't have any smartphones for loaners). Then I asked if they could fix the chip in my chrome (which was there when it came out of the box, not from dropping it) and he said they don't cover cosmetic defects. I even talked to sprint before my 30 days was up and they said they would note my account so I could exchange it after 30 days and the guy from bb said they can't see notes sprint leaves on my account my only option is send it in for repair.

I also have the Sprint insurance. I really don't think I should have to pay the $50 deductable but if it is going to be a pain in the *** dealing with best buy I guess I have no choice (I don't want to drive an hour to best buy to talk to the manager just to be told the same thing I was told on the phone). I have a couple questions about the Sprint insurance. Do they cover cosmetic defects? Will they just repair my pro or give me a new pro? Say I get a non-defective pro from sprint, if I have problems a few months down the road are they going to give me crap about exchanging it again? I plan on canceling either the sprint or bb insurance, which one should I cancel?

rstoyguy 11-29-2008 08:53 PM

Re: Best Buy sucks - anyone else have this problem?

Cancel your Worst-Buy insurance...

bombzhome 11-29-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 549751)

Yeah, I work for Best Buy Mobile and our insurance thing is the worst thing in the world. Especially since they just recently made it $9.99 for any phone that retails for more than $299.99 (which is 80% of our phones). The carrier's insurances are much better and cheaper.

pokerrus78 11-29-2008 08:58 PM

Well there a couple of things you should know! first you should go tho a real sprint store no third party stores and make sure thay do repairs 2nd. that will take it in the back to make sure it is broken,(thay all most never to fix it in the store) 3rd Tell them u have insurance, it will take about 3 days to get a new phone so just have them ship to the store so you can keep your phone for the 3 days And last ask them if you can get a credit you account for the $50 bucks scene it is a defective phone and they will almost never give you crap because you have insurance, oh ya dont even talk about bb with sprint thay will just say it is not sprints falt that bb scrued up and tell u to go to bb

darren.wlsn1 11-29-2008 09:02 PM

funny how everybody love bb a month ago now everybody hates the place. one of many reasons i only deal with sprint. i do have problems with sprint sometimes but they fix lots of these with new phones or money off my bill. ya live & learn. pay the 50$.

captblaze 11-29-2008 09:08 PM

if the phone truly has a mechanical or electronic defect your sprint insurance will cover the cost of a refurb for free. on the other hand if you dropped it in the toilet, stepped on it or cracked the screen by sitting on it you will be responsible for the 50 buck deductible.

Insoc 11-29-2008 09:14 PM

All this for chrome chip, that will happen anyway?

What should you do... I think you dropped the ball by not getting BB to stand by their product weeks ago when it was out of stock, and promise you a new one even after 30 days were up.

If you had issues with the phone when you purchased it, you were a fool to keep it, unless they promised you a replacement when they had new stock. Did they promise you one? If not, why did you buy a phone you had issues with?

"Hey this phone is bad, I want a new one."

"Sir this is the last one."

"Ok, I guess I will pay full price for it then, oh wait before I pay for this, can I talk to your Manager please?" Gee, I wonder if I ask their manager, will he:

1. Promise to replace this one when they get new ones in stock, that would be nice.
2. Give me a Discount on this phone seeing it is scratch and dent.
3. If I am offered nothing, I will take my business elsewhere...

Seems to me that you compromised yourself when you accepted the phone with the chip. You could have returned it just before your 30 days for a full refund, then gone to Sprint to buy a new one, but no, that would have been hard and you would have had nothing to cry about. You had a choice, noone but yourself made you do it. I would go out and buy a chrome paint pen and paint the chip and call it a hard day's end.

P.S. For insurance purposes I have heard that some of the TPs were recalled due to Chrome issues. The ESN range was listed here, a quick search should find it. If your phone is one of them, you get a new one lucky you! Also, I understand BB sends out for repairs before replacing, but they do not have any deductibles. I am not sure what Sprint Insurance is like, I paid for it for too many years and never once used it.

xxxjdoggxxx 11-29-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombzhome (Post 549760)
Yeah, I work for Best Buy Mobile and our insurance thing is the worst thing in the world. Especially since they just recently made it $9.99 for any phone that retails for more than $299.99 (which is 80% of our phones). The carrier's insurances are much better and cheaper.

The guy I talked to on the phone said if I go to the store and talk to the manager he may be able to call sprint about the note on my account. Considering you work for Best Buy is this going to be just a waste of time (and gas) or will the manager actually be willing to exchange my phone after seeing I have a note on my Sprint account?

If I decide to go the Sprint route should I go to the Sprint store, call the insurance company or call Sprint directly (or any other option I may have missed)? Also is it best if I don't mention bb or should I explain the whole situation? Is there any possible way I can get Sprint to credit me for the $50 deductable?

pokerrus78 11-29-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerrus78 (Post 549761)
Well there a couple of things you should know! first you should go tho a real sprint store no third party stores and make sure thay do repairs 2nd. that will take it in the back to make sure it is broken,(thay all most never to fix it in the store) 3rd Tell them u have insurance, it will take about 3 days to get a new phone so just have them ship to the store so you can keep your phone for the 3 days And last ask them if you can get a credit you account for the $50 bucks scene it is a defective phone and they will almost never give you crap because you have insurance, oh ya dont even talk about bb with sprint thay will just say it is not sprints falt that bb scrued up and tell u to go to bb

WOW THIS IS A GOOD IDEA DOOO IT lol

CaliforniaPlaya 11-29-2008 09:24 PM

(1) BBs return policy is 30 days on phones. They are abiding by their return policy which is posted in the store. I had a similar situation and called the BB store where I got it from. They said to bring it in, they would note the account # and ESN and call me when more came in. They said that even if more don't come in until after 30 days, if it is noted, they will exchange it. Luckily I didn't have to do this as they received more a couple of days later.

(2)What is defective with it? Is it just the chrome or something else as well? Apparently there were problems with the chrome cracking around the corners on some early models. Some on here have said that Sprint is aware of this issue and will exchange them for this reason if it is within a certain range of serial numbers.

(3)Contact Sprint and explain the situation to them. Since they made notes on your account before your 30 days was over, they may be willing to exchange it for you if you explain that BB wont.

Can't tell you which insurace to cancel. I am not familiar with what BB offers. But I do have TEP and have used it in a Sprint store as well as a third party repair center to exchange an Apache a few times with no problems, concerns or costs. Not sure if BB will let you do that. I've seen posts on here that TEP does cover cosmetic defects, but I have no firsthand experience, ymmv. If its just a defect, there should be no cost to you even if you do go through Sprints insurance, but be aware you may end up with a refurbished Pro. Not sure if they're doing this yet though. My advice would be to contact Sprint asap and see if they'll do an exchange for you either in store or over the phone. If that doesn't work, claim in on insurance and they should send one out and send return mailer to send the defective one back so you wont be without phone.

Good luck!!!

xxxjdoggxxx 11-29-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insoc (Post 549783)
All this for chrome chip, that will happen anyway?

No this is not all for a chip in the chrome. If that was the only problem I wouldn't even bother returning it. If you want to know all the problems with my Pro read some of my posts from the past couple weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insoc (Post 549783)
What should you do... I think you dropped the ball by not getting BB to stand by their product weeks ago when it was out of stock, and promise you a new one even after 30 days were up.

If you had issues with the phone when you purchased it, you were a fool to keep it, unless they promised you a replacement when they had new stock. Did they promise you one? If not, why did you buy a phone you had issues with?

"Hey this phone is bad, I want a new one."

"Sir this is the last one."

"Ok, I guess I will pay full price for it then, oh wait before I pay for this, can I talk to your Manager please?" Gee, I wonder if I ask their manager, will he:

1. Promise to replace this one when they get new ones in stock, that would be nice.
2. Give me a Discount on this phone seeing it is scratch and dent.
3. If I am offered nothing, I will take my business elsewhere...

Seems to me that you compromised yourself when you accepted the phone with the chip. You could have returned it just before your 30 days for a full refund, then gone to Sprint to buy a new one, but no, that would have been hard and you would have had nothing to cry about. You had a choice, noone but yourself made you do it. I would go out and buy a chrome paint pen and paint the chip and call it a hard day's end.

P.S. For insurance purposes I have heard that some of the TPs were recalled due to Chrome issues. The ESN range was listed here, a quick search should find it. If your phone is one of them, you get a new one lucky you! Also, I understand BB sends out for repairs before replacing, but they do not have any deductibles. I am not sure what Sprint Insurance is like, I paid for it for too many years and never once used it.

I noticed the chrome defect a few days after purchasing the phone and like I said it is not enough alone to make me want to return the phone. After about a week I noticed all the other problems and decided I needed to exchange it. So I call bb and they were out of stock. So I figured I would wait considering I also had Sprint insurance. Then it got down to the last week before the 30 days was up, I emailed Sprint to confirm the insurance would cover it, explained the situation with best buy and they said they would note my account and it wouldn't be a problem exchanging after 30 days.

I work a lot of hours every week and bb is a hour drive from me so needless to say I don't have time to call or go to bb 10 times a week. There is no need to get all hostile about this. My cell phone is not the number 1 thing in my life. If I pay a good amount of money for a phone I expect to take it out of the box and it to have no defects (even cosmetic) is there something wrong with that?

dlbrummels 11-29-2008 09:56 PM

Caveat emptor

kirov42 11-29-2008 10:11 PM

This is my First ever post on this forum. I read a lot what people say about issues with their phones, I find it very interesting. But this thread about Best Buy, could not keep me on the side. No, I did not purchased phone from them, I purchased many things from them and they never stand behind their products. It is the most Unfreindly consumer company I've ever dealt with. My only advice on this issue is to go to the store and confront store manager
Good luck:angry7:

1999TL 11-29-2008 10:14 PM

Go to a sprint store. Check to see if your phone falls in the ESN's that have the bad chrome. Sprint is replacing those. check this site for that list.

xxxjdoggxxx 11-29-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 549875)
Go to a sprint store. Check to see if your phone falls in the ESN's that have the bad chrome. Sprint is replacing those. check this site for that list.

I saw a post a few weeks ago with the esn #s. My phone was not in those #s.

Insoc 11-29-2008 11:17 PM

So you have been told what to do, what are you going to do, and WHY did you not act sooner? You should have returned the phone for a full refund if you were going to have problems with BB after your 30 days were up.

You might want to get your credit card company involved if BB won't fix your problem. Try a different BB, or a BB Mobile, I have had no problems exchanging phones with them, three so far, and they have been VERY helpful.

Sorry, but I still feel like you fell asleep at the wheel, and want to blame everyone but yourself...

p.s. I wish the damn chrome was metal like on the GSM phones, not damn plastic...

moneymike6800 11-29-2008 11:43 PM

xjdogx. I have inside people with sprint and it is noted with all repair centers that the crome defect is on all tp phones until further notice. If you go to a repair center no matter if it is 3rd party or sprint you will still be on back order. that is what my people showed me on the sprint repair screen today. so if i was you i would cancel bb and keep my tep as they will insure anything that happens to your phone even if you dont have it anymore. I saw that bb had the tp in stock and had to have it. I used my bbrz card to get 20% off of the tp. dropped it 1 week later. had my people order me another one and just returned the tp to bb for the full price.

moneymike6800 11-29-2008 11:46 PM

So even if you dont have any insurance on the phone you will be insured with sprint on this defect.. fyi. go to sprint

IFMISM 11-29-2008 11:53 PM

that is exactly what I was thinking about the touch pro being on back order and most of the stores aren't getting them any time soon. I must agree with the previous poster about dropping the ball. if I had that many problems from a third party purchase I would have returned it within the a lotted time simply because they cannot see the notes on your acct. good luck. if you press bb they will cave.

a1aone 11-30-2008 01:00 AM

Yeah bad buy insurance sucks..

xxxjdoggxxx 11-30-2008 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insoc (Post 549955)
So you have been told what to do, what are you going to do, and WHY did you not act sooner? You should have returned the phone for a full refund if you were going to have problems with BB after your 30 days were up.

You might want to get your credit card company involved if BB won't fix your problem. Try a different BB, or a BB Mobile, I have had no problems exchanging phones with them, three so far, and they have been VERY helpful.

Sorry, but I still feel like you fell asleep at the wheel, and want to blame everyone but yourself...

p.s. I wish the damn chrome was metal like on the GSM phones, not damn plastic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFMISM (Post 550019)
that is exactly what I was thinking about the touch pro being on back order and most of the stores aren't getting them any time soon. I must agree with the previous poster about dropping the ball. if I had that many problems from a third party purchase I would have returned it within the a lotted time simply because they cannot see the notes on your acct. good luck. if you press bb they will cave.

I don't understand how I "dropped the ball" on this when I called bb a few times a week to see if they had any in stock and they didn't til today, I also spoke with Sprint about this and they told me wait til bb gets them in stock and they would put a note on my account. Yes I could have taken it back for a refund but then I would have had no phone or a phone I didn't want. Yes I could have went to bb and talked to the manager but like i have repeatedly said I live a hour away from bb and work almost every day of the week. I don't see what else I could have done but that is in the past now I am simply trying to figure out what to do now.

The guy from bb said if I go to bb and talk to the manager he may be able to call sprint and see if the note is on my account. People have suggested other options so I am simply trying to weigh my options and not ignoring anyones suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneymike6800 (Post 550000)
xjdogx. I have inside people with sprint and it is noted with all repair centers that the crome defect is on all tp phones until further notice. If you go to a repair center no matter if it is 3rd party or sprint you will still be on back order. that is what my people showed me on the sprint repair screen today. so if i was you i would cancel bb and keep my tep as they will insure anything that happens to your phone even if you dont have it anymore. I saw that bb had the tp in stock and had to have it. I used my bbrz card to get 20% off of the tp. dropped it 1 week later. had my people order me another one and just returned the tp to bb for the full price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneymike6800 (Post 550006)
So even if you dont have any insurance on the phone you will be insured with sprint on this defect.. fyi. go to sprint

I did not know this. I read the thread on this forum a few weeks ago and it had a range of esns and mine did not fall in that range so I thought mine wouldn't be covered. I'll have to call the sprint store tommorow to see what can do (hopefully they can swap it with no $50 charge). So do I have to go to a repair center or just a sprint store (sprint store is half hour drive, there probibly isn't a repair center within 2 hours).

CaliforniaPlaya 11-30-2008 02:52 AM

WOW jdogg, I hope not everything in your life is made to be as complicated as this. OK, lets get this figured out. We know BB isn't very willing to help you out.
Go to http://storelocator.sprint.com/SL2/Default.aspx enter your zip code, that will show you all the Sprint stores with and without repair centers as well as some (not sure if all) indirect stores some of which have repair centers. You may be surprised that you have a store closer than you think.

Before you go, try giving them a call. Briefly explain the situation and find out how (not if) they are able to help you. I say how, because the worst they will do for you is make you use your insurance to order a replacement phone. Your best bet might to go with an exchange based on the chrome problem. If they don't know about, have them look in their system that they apparently have (based on information i've seen on here) to check for the Pro chrome issue. If that doesn't work, have them pull up your account (don't know if they'll do this over the phone), if the notes are on there as you say, they should be able to see it. If none of that works, go for the insurance exchange and have them order you one. I'd insist on getting a new one though, since its a new device I wouldn't settle for a refurb. Once you've confirmed that they will exchange it for you, get the name of the person you spoke to. Then go to the store to do what you gotta do so you don't waste a trip there for nothing.

Now, keep in mind, if they are backordered, there is nothing at store level that can be done about this. They will get them when they get them. I know thats frustrating, but it is what it is. Make sure they take your information and call you once your phone arrives. I would think this should take care of it, but if that doesn't and they can't help you and you don't want to contact another store, call customer service. Escalate the issue to retentions if you have to. I hate to suggest that as that seems to be the way for some people to see how much they can get for free from Sprint, but it sounds like you have legitimate problem (even though I think you should have been a little more proactive getting BB to do something within the first 30 days). Between the store level and customer service/retentions, I'd be willing to bet you'll get this issue resolved fairly simply.

Good luck!!!

xxxjdoggxxx 11-30-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya (Post 550246)
WOW jdogg, I hope not everything in your life is made to be as complicated as this. OK, lets get this figured out. We know BB isn't very willing to help you out.
Go to http://storelocator.sprint.com/SL2/Default.aspx enter your zip code, that will show you all the Sprint stores with and without repair centers as well as some (not sure if all) indirect stores some of which have repair centers. You may be surprised that you have a store closer than you think.

Closest repair store is 60+ miles away. I will call the closest Sprint store tomorrow even though last time I called them (about a week ago) they didn't answer the phone all day (I was calling about a replacement they were supposed to get me a week earlier and call me back about which they never did, forgot to mention this on the OP). Hopefully this time someone will answer the phone.

Insoc 11-30-2008 04:01 AM

Work everyday, but stores are open later then working hours and have weekends off, phone costs lots of money, live in the middle of nowhere, phone calls don't work...

Email Ecare, call Sprint Telesales. Tell BB that you are returning your phone because you can't wait for a replacement anymore, yeah you are past your 30 days, but they never (so you say) had stock. Do something, you had 30 days to do something before but you lost that. Don't wait till the last minute and then expect everyone to jump at your whim.

CaliforniaPlaya 11-30-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxjdoggxxx (Post 550306)
Closest repair store is 60+ miles away. I will call the closest Sprint store tomorrow even though last time I called them (about a week ago) they didn't answer the phone all day (I was calling about a replacement they were supposed to get me a week earlier and call me back about which they never did, forgot to mention this on the OP). Hopefully this time someone will answer the phone.

Don't know if I'd be willing to travel that far either, but then again being in NorCal, I'm lucky to have a dozen Sprint stores, some more indirects and several BB within 30 miles. Like I said, if that doesn't work or you want to try to do it without going to a store, call customer service and see what they'll do for you. You can also do an insurance claim over the phone or online (I think), but you might end up having to pay the deductable that way.

IFMISM 11-30-2008 07:38 AM

I don't know if I would do an insurance claim due to just about everyone who had a pro has received a diamond as a replacement. if bb is not willing to help then the sprint store is your best bet. the only reason some ppl feel as though you dropped the ball is because you are now going through a lot more trying to get another phone after the 30 day period than you would if you had taken the phone back sooner. now you still have to drive atleast 40 mins out of your way to get it done. anyway that is my 2 cents. good luck. hopefully you don't have to go thru much more getting it replaced

DaPeeps 11-30-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 549751)

+1 on cancelling that crappy Best Buy plan. If you have TEP on your Sprint account...use it....its worth paying 50 bux rather than deal with Best Buy.

Dr.8820 11-30-2008 10:44 AM

i tried to stay out of this because the op started a thread like this last week.the advice has not changed.for the 50th time,return your phone to worst buy and go to the sprint store.there is no reason to keep posting about how far it is 1 way,if you want a good phone you will make that drive period.good luck if you still are going to make the drive your sticking point.