PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Proximity sensor supposed to work on Sprint TP? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41740)

stevenmh 10-27-2008 12:51 AM

Proximity sensor supposed to work on Sprint TP?

Got my Touch Pro today... love it so far. I thought I had seen in some Diamond threads that users weren't happy with the way the proximity sensor turned off the screen when you put the phone to your face. Mine doesn't do that. I've searched here and SprintUsers and don't see anyone talking about it one way or the other. Did I hallucinate those threads with the Diamond proximity sensor? Or did they disable that feature on the Pro?

stevenmh 10-27-2008 08:11 AM

Re: Proximity sensor supposed to work on Sprint TP?

Anybody? Does your screen turn off during calls or not?

Cicatrize 10-27-2008 08:33 AM

Mine doesn't do that. I don't think the TPro has a proximity sensor...

dew.man 10-27-2008 09:26 AM

Mine does not turn off either - hopefully that remains as my BIGGEST complaint about this phone...

snovvman 10-27-2008 10:00 AM

As far as I know there is no "proximity" sensor in the Diamond nor Touch Pro. By that, I presume you mean using either infrared, sonar, capacitance, or other similar technology.

The Diamond and Touch Pro DO have an ambient light sensor that is located adjacent to the speaker. The "fast sleep" feature is designed so that when the face covers the light sensor during the call, the screen will blank. This mimics the iPhone feature, which uses capacitance to detect the face (much more reliable).

It is well discussed that the CDMA Diamond (don't know yet about the TP, haven't tried it) does NOT turn off the screen like the GSMs do.

Funny thing--the people who have this feature don't want it, and those who don't have this feature do want it. I've looked at many registry settings and researched, but have not found a way to activate this feature.

stevenmh 10-27-2008 02:36 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

Actually, I don't really want the feature. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something wrong with my phone. My use of the phone has been very limited so far, but I haven't had any trouble with anything on screen being accidentally pushed when held to my face.

Baffles 10-27-2008 02:39 PM

Since when does the iPhone use capacitance to detect the face? I specifically remember messing with my friend's iPhone, and covering a small sensor he showed me with my finger in a call, and the screen shut off.

freeza 10-27-2008 02:43 PM

I want this feature! :-\

apex seals 10-27-2008 05:09 PM

Why not just touch the power button up top in the middle of the call?

No1ustad 10-27-2008 05:41 PM

use s2u2, that automatically turns off the screen in a call.... why we tryin to get all fancy when we already have something that works? much more reliable if you ask me...