PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

cforster is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I Love This Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
I recently purchased this phone and for the past week I have been in love... I have the same issues that everyone else has

- Battery last less than a day with normal-heavy usage ( bought multiple chargers.. waiting for seido battery)
- Case creaks when pressure is applied (fixed with tape fix)

So far this is the only issues I have had with the device, I do have the occasional slow down and sluggish performance.. But compaired to other windows mobile phones i've had this one is a dream.. I've gone through so many pda phones and had so many problems that so far the pro's outweigh the cons.

Sprint Visor Prism Phone
- Very heavy
- had to reset at least twice a day
- 36.6 data connection!!
- random lockups and resets
- dropped calls

Treo 300
- Cracked flip
- random lockups and resets
- slooowwwwwww
- non user replaceable battery
- no memory...

Treo 650
- data connection issues... many
- still random resets and lockups
- palm os... getting old...
- sd card issues..

Hitachi G1000
- very very heavy..
- data loss when battery removed
- slow slow slow!
- battery life... literally a 30 minute phone call...
- black/white screen of death...
- Died within first week...

HTC Apache 6700
- Slower than my G1000
- Random memory card issues
- battery life.. Camera sucked

HTC Mogul
- White spots
- button issues on keyboard
- random resets..
- memory leak issue (reason i got rid of it)
- OK battery life...
- 10 seconds after i open the keyboard the phone would think about going to landscape mode..
- typing had to catch up with me.. big annoyance

Blackberry 8703..
- amazing battery life
- no camera
- no touchscreen..
- poor internet browser

I've probally had at least 4-5 other phones as well... none compare!

All of the issues I have had in the past almost make this phone seem perfect to me... yeah the battery life sucks but that's what I expected when I purchased the phone.. I know I'll be purchasing the biggest battery that becomes available the minute it comes out.. The memory issues are gone compared to the mogul for me.. The camera is amazing for a phone and the speed issues are manageable. I have gone from windows mobile and back to windows mobile many times... i just keep coming back to it because of your support.. The support is amazing here and compared to every other OS I have used I love how much these phones can be customized.. Its awesome that the 6700 still has custom roms being made.. that phone isn't even made any more.
Agreed - I am fairly new to windows mobile and to this forum. There is some real knowledgeable people here that are more than happy to help. Much appreciated. And the TP really speaks for itself. I was pretty impressed with the out of the box usability with this phone. Not a real emergency to flash a custom rom. They did a good job. Not that it mattered for me, I like tweaking my phone anyway

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: axim, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, touch pro

j10376 is becoming a great contributor
Re: New swapped out Touch PRO is better

My man date 11/03 hardware 0002 and this is my second one however the battery cover is still there and I still have issue with touch flow crashing when scrolling thru pic and music I assume that is software update thou I don't have the touch problems anymore I haven't got to use gps enough to comment and I am still testing battery heat charge problem but as far as battery life goes this is a tremendous improvement over the mogul and touch I owned both. With the faster processor I can not say anything bad about battery life I have been using PDA's since there introduction to the market starting all the way back to the apple newton. I am impressed with the battery life on the tp would I like better yes but I can at least get through a whole day now with medium talk time without having to charge I had to charge my touch all the time.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

CaliforniaPlaya is just getting started
Re: Touch Pro Reviews

Scored a new one today, couldn't hang with the earpiece volume anymore. It sounds a lot better, haven't had time to play with other things to see if everything is working. I was disappointed in the date though. Got it from BB and they said they just came in yesterday, but the date was only 10/29/2008. I was expecting something later...oh well, as long as it works.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Verizon

viper3two is just getting started

Thought I would chime in here.......
I purchased the VZW TP 2 days ago. It is being sent back tomorrow.
Reasons:
Cost: I spent 300 bux on this thing and in my opinion, it is not worth 50 bux.
Build quality: Pretty good except for what appears to me a bubble in the lower center of the screen. Should have been caught with QC.
Responsiveness with operating system: I would love to throw this thing out my car window one day just to laugh about it. This thing is so dang slow it ain't funny. Forget even making a call while driving, you get so messed up because you have to wait forever for the phone to respond to what you are doing and constantly have to look down to see what the phone is doing. I'm not wrecking my Eclipse over this thing.
Responsiveness with TF3D: As above, sure it looks great but you can't even run it because it slows the phone down even worse than what it is.
Camera: Impossible to take a picture. I can't even take a picture of a fence post without it blurring due to a 5 to 7 second lag between clicking the button and when the shutter actually snaps.
SMS: With my trusty ol razr v3m, when I get an sms there is no waiting for 2 minutes for a sound that comes with that message.

Not to mention I get a message all the time saying that Voice Command has stopped due to low memory, and I need to close programs. I don't have anything opened. Geesh.

And...battery life is aweful at best. The specs say 250 minutes talk, 250 hours standby or something like that (I may be wrong), but I can't make it 8 hours without it dying.

I have been reading and waiting on this phone for several months now and even got up at 1am when VZW put it on their site so I could get it. Wish I hadn't now, this thing is beyond horrible.
Not trying to start a flame war, but this is just my opinion. Something is either badly wrong with this phone or VZW should be hung for thinking the public would accept something like this.

JUST A REMINDER: This is a review of the VERIZON version of the TP. The TP itself is an amazing phone, but once given to Verizon....you wind up with something about useless.....

Last edited by viper3two; 11-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO

NewMC is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to NewMC Send a message via Yahoo to NewMC

This is just a quick post but my first impression of the phone in comparison to my 700wx & PPC6700 was wow!. The general user can use this phone for probably about anything they are going to do right out of the box. Alot of the tweaks/hacks that we all did & software that we paid for on the Treo 700wx are already included or have been fixed in WM6.1, which Sprint should have given us an upgrade for anyway but I know their goal is to sell more phones so I guess it's working. Off the subject, anyway us geeks/power users can limp by happier than before for a week or so without modding anything with this phone and that says alot, I've had mine for about a week and haven't been on PPCGeeks in that time so I've been ecstatic about this phone. The size difference and increase in hardware & system functionality are tremendous and I haven't had any error messages or had to reset once, a soft reset was necessary 3-4 times a day at moderate use with the 700wx after making a few adjustments from a hard reset. HTC gets two thumbs-up from me and Sprint gets a pat on the back for now. Of course we are all going to customize and tweak to our own liking but I think most of us won't necessarily need anything more than freeware and the great minds here on this forum. I did have battery issues the first day of use but I think that may have been from insufficient charge or leaving an app. running...all we need now is an extended battery for the CDMA version without going to a bigger back cover.

Last edited by NewMC; 11-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700 (Verizon HTC Apache)
Carrier: Only PPCGEEKS.com; I don't even pay monthly anymore.

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMC View Post
This is just a quick post but my first impression of the phone in comparison to my 700wx & PPC6700 was wow!. The general user can use this phone for probably about anything they are going to do right out of the box. Alot of the tweaks/hacks that we all did & software that we paid for on the Treo 700wx are already included or have been fixed in WM6.1, which Sprint should have given us an upgrade for anyway but I know their goal is to sell more phones so I guess it's working. Off the subject, anyway us geeks/power users can limp by happier than before for a week or so without modding anything with this phone and that says alot, I've had mine for about a week and haven't been on PPCGeeks in that time so I've been ecstatic about this phone. The size difference and increase in hardware & system functionality are tremendous and I haven't had any error messages or had to reset once, a soft reset was necessary 3-4 times a day at moderate use with the 700wx after making a few adjustments from a hard reset. HTC gets two thumbs-up from me and Sprint gets a pat on the back for now. Of course we are all going to customize and tweak to our own liking but I think most of us won't necessarily need anything more than freeware and the great minds here on this forum. I did have battery issues the first day of use but I think that may have been from insufficient charge or leaving an app. running...all we need now is an extended battery for the CDMA version without going to a bigger back cover.
Yes, I completely felt the same way, just after using it for a few minutes in the store. HTC and Sprint really have done a great job, and I think more is deserved than a "pat on the back" for Sprint. Look at what ATT and Verizon did to their phone... They deserve a SMACK on their back, just to see what kind of ludicris excuses they'll have come out, for what they were thinking when they made theirs the way they did.
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

willnj is just getting started

Just moved from the Touch to the Touch Pro yesterday, so this is a quick first impression.

Physical
I like the look of the phone. VGA screen is beautiful, I watch lots of movies commuting on the bus. I like the feel of the phone in my hands, but hate the fingerprints that show up on it. I have noticed the creak with the case talked about in some post. Even though it thicker than the touch its worth it for the keyboard, I lived with a soft keyboard and tried to tell myself its as good. In my one day of use I have noticed it heatup but its not as bad as I thought it would be. I do miss the camera button, I had S2U2 mapped to it. I wish HTC added a button or 2 instead of taking away the one from the touch.

Functionality

I'm impressed with the speed so far, but its still early. On my Touch streaming media would slow down, but so far no problems on the Touch Pro. The T3D seems more responsive than the manilla 2d I had on the Touch, no real lag time yet. I am still using the stock rom with Goodthings2life cleanup. My bluetooth is working as expected, I use a Jabra BT8010 headset.

I'm still learning my way around and will followup after a few more days
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to bboyneko

So I just my HTC Touch Pro from sprint store in DC on Dec 24th. It is a new smartphone from High Tech Computer Corporation of Taiwan.

ROM version 1.03.651.4
Build Date 11/11/08

First, I'll post my conclusion first, then the details.

Conclusion: holy ^$&#*# this is the greatest thing I've ever owner or seen, my life up until this moment has been lived just to experience the HTC Touch Pro.

Review Details

Basically, this all started when I saw that Sprint was offering a 450 minutes + unlimited data plan for $69.99 a month (this includes sprint nav GPS services, internet, mail, text messages, EVERYTHING) This plan is cheaper than what my current plan was, so I switched. Then I glanced at my phone, a KRZR and realized it would not be able to fully take advantage of the data plan. So I began hunting for a smartphone.

I've never owned a smartphone before, so I was intimidated. I looked at the iphone, blackberrys etc. But the HTC Touch Pro really got to me. It has a beautiful interface, the touchflo 3d interface made by HTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pENEldRxuwQ

That is the default touchflo interface, I modified mine to look like this:

I like my modified interface MUCH better than the stock interface..but I'll return to that topic later.

The phone has a full keyboard, which I love! I tried typing on iphone, its so annoying. This phone runs on Windows Mobile 6.1, which is a pretty boring-looking OS but it lets you do SO much.

Thanks to the developer community at http://forum.xda-developers.com and http://forum.ppcgeeks.com i was able to change many things about the phone to make it way better. I even loaded a UI called iFOnz that turns the device into an iphone clone, just for laughs:

What I love
  • Full, easy to type on keyboard
  • Touchflo 3D
  • Opera Browser is fantastic
  • VGA high res screen
  • No need for Stylus
  • It has a stylus
  • ability to heavily modify, device is not as padlocked as iphone
  • Sprint GPS with turn-by-turn directions, extremely fast lock and accurate
  • Built in AIM, Yahoo, MSN chat clients that parse URLs
  • Weather animations in touchflo 3D
  • SD card can be hot swapped
  • Came with high quaility screen protector, tons of accessories
  • Phone is tiny!
  • Phone is FAST, it really feels like a handheld laptop capable of just about anything
  • installing and uninstalling programs is very very easy

What I didn't love, but managed to fix within 24 hours
  • Low speaker volume in phone calls (loaded a tweaked sound modification, now its PERFECT)
  • Slow SD card navigation
  • Sprint branded UI (I removed sprint logo and all sprint crap)
  • Locking is boring (I loaded a slide-to-unlock program just like iphones feature)
  • Screen does not always rotate (loaded a file to make this work in everything except touchflo 3D)
  • Did not come with car charger (bought one for $7)
  • Boring looking contact list (loaded iContact for an iphone-like contact list)
  • File explorer does not give you the kind of power you'd need to copy lots of files, rename etc.
  • Calendar is boring
  • Opera kept taking me to mobile versions of website

What I didn't love but I can't fix
No headphone jack without a USB adaptor

So once you remove the stuff I didn't like since I fixed it with programs, then theres only one tiny thing I don't love, the no headphones thing. I dont plan on storing a ton of music on here though but it would be nice to have the jack without the usb adapter.

A lot of people felt the phone was thick, not me. This is my first smart phone so maybe people are used to other thinner phones, but the keyboard makes me so happy. I really really really love the GPS. The phone is beautiful and worth every penny. If you are considering a smartphone this is the one for you, you can get it really cheap at bestbuy until dec 25 with a new account and 2-year contract, or at a sprint store. To me, this is the iPhone killer. But then again I can understand that many people don't want to go around to forums installing applications to modify their phone and prefer it just works out of the box without much hassle.

Here is another good video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecvGg8qgq5o
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

pyehac is a n00b

I can't really say much since this is my first smartphone, and it just arrived on the 31st.

I love the keyboard, high quality screen, touch is nice, and a slide out keyboard is better - using an iPod touch, I'm used to typing on a touchscreen but didn't feel like it would be my one and only mode of input. The ability to make word documents would have helped me during my school days, but having that ability is nice and will be put to good use sometime in the future.

The only thing I hate about this phone is the ATT branding since I'm with Tmobile - but I did buy it as an unlocked ATT Fuze, so I guess it was my fault.

What could make this wonderful device better? 8gb memory cards which are headed my way as we speak. If it wasn't for my iPod touch already integrated in my car, this would be my GPS navigator/music player/movie watching device.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

bujin is becoming a great contributor

I bought mine about a week ago, and have to say that this is easily the best smartphone I've ever owned. I've had a number of Treos (600, 650, 700p, 755p, and 800w) and was satisfied with all of them. I also previously experienced a slider with the PPC6700. This one is in a class all its own.

I have been trying to modify it as little as possible, in order to maintain stability, although I've done many of the power management regedits that are on these boards. I can't say enough good things about it.

My only concern remaining is that on two occasions it wouldn't wake up in the morning (a problem I share). I'm worried that it'll freeze one night and I'll really need to get a morning call - I'm a school administrator and morning snow calls are kind of important. But I'm sure I'll figure out what's causing that.

I will highly recommend this phone to anyone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro