PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   getting stuff from my phone to my computer without microsoft activesync? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=129387)

kaine8 07-21-2010 09:31 PM

getting stuff from my phone to my computer without microsoft activesync?

ok so my phone charger broke and my dad bought me a new one, the only problem is this charger doesnt hook up to my computer, i mean the only way it charges is with a little battery pack and the usb cord that connects to my phone, so theres only one usb cord side meaning i cant connect my phone to my computer, are there any programs that i could use to get files from my phone to my computer so that i could upload to sites? thanks in advance guys

Biggzz 07-21-2010 10:20 PM

Re: getting stuff from my phone to my computer without microsoft activesync?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1877368)
ok so my phone charger broke and my dad bought me a new one, the only problem is this charger doesnt hook up to my computer, i mean the only way it charges is with a little battery pack and the usb cord that connects to my phone, so theres only one usb cord side meaning i cant connect my phone to my computer, are there any programs that i could use to get files from my phone to my computer so that i could upload to sites? thanks in advance guys

Just pull your microSd card out of the phone and put into an adapter and put into your computer. Then you can transfer photos, files and music.

kaine8 07-21-2010 10:48 PM

dnt hav an adapter

TPMJB 07-22-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1877440)
dnt hav an adapter

Short of messing with bluetooth (providing you have an adapter for your laptop/desktop) either...

1)Spend 4$ on an adapter
2)Spend 4$ on a usb cable.
3) Use wifi to upload files to a website/ftp server then access from your computer.

08cherd4 07-22-2010 12:59 PM

you could use microsoft my phone, it will back everything up every night(if you want) and you can download the info from their website onto your computer, You'll need a windows live ID though (I'm sure you have one fore marketplace though)

here's the link,

http://myphone.microsoft.com

Mylt1 07-22-2010 12:59 PM

the USB cable from several digital cams will work as well as the USB cable from a sony PSP. if the charger broke whats that got to do with the actual USB cable unless that is what broke?

arrrghhh 07-22-2010 02:13 PM

It looks a little off, but any mini-usb cable will work. So if you have a PS3, or any device that has a usb A plug on one end and a mini-usb on the other... You're good to go.

http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galle...anon-37467.jpg

It doesn't look like it'll fit does it... well, it will :D

darren.wlsn1 07-22-2010 02:18 PM

sprint gave me the big sdcard looking thingy, adapter i guess it is. ask at store but be nice. lol

coolwhip1220 07-22-2010 02:27 PM

I have a thousand of these cords laying around.

kaine8 07-22-2010 07:14 PM

you guys dont understand. this is the charger: http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/im...HOMECHARGE.jpg

arrrghhh 07-22-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1878681)
you guys dont understand. this is the charger:

We do understand, evidently you don't. I'm saying that the plug doesn't have to match exactly - any mini-usb cable will do. You really don't have any lying around? I have a ton, there are a plethora of devices that use that type of plug. PS3 is one which I already mentioned, there's a lot of BT headsets that use it, cameras, old phones... If you really, truly do not have a single mini-usb cable then go buy one. Like another poster said, $4 or less. Monoprice.com they're dirt cheap, just gotta wait for shipping.

Other than that, wifi/3g transfer of your stuff is the only other option save BT which is a little tricky - and I'm guessing your PC doesn't have BT built-in, and if you're too cheap to buy a usb cable you probably don't have a BT dongle either.

Mylt1 07-23-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1878681)
you guys dont understand. this is the charger: http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/im...HOMECHARGE.jpg

if thats your charger then HTF were you transferring things in the first place?

arrrghhh 07-23-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 1879603)
if thats your charger then HTF were you transferring things in the first place?

First line from the OP:

Quote:

ok so my phone charger broke and my dad bought me a new one

Mylt1 07-23-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 1879607)
First line from the OP:

i asked earlier what happened to his original charger USB cable. even if the charger(OEM) stopped working or broke that doesnt mean the USB cable was bad.

arrrghhh 07-23-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 1879626)
i asked earlier what happened to his original charger USB cable. even if the charger(OEM) stopped working or broke that doesnt mean the USB cable was bad.

Oh, I just assumed it was the cable itself that broke... I hope for the OP's sake that was a correct assumption.

kaine8 07-28-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 1878720)
We do understand, evidently you don't. I'm saying that the plug doesn't have to match exactly - any mini-usb cable will do. You really don't have any lying around? I have a ton, there are a plethora of devices that use that type of plug. PS3 is one which I already mentioned, there's a lot of BT headsets that use it, cameras, old phones... If you really, truly do not have a single mini-usb cable then go buy one. Like another poster said, $4 or less. Monoprice.com they're dirt cheap, just gotta wait for shipping.

Other than that, wifi/3g transfer of your stuff is the only other option save BT which is a little tricky - and I'm guessing your PC doesn't have BT built-in, and if you're too cheap to buy a usb cable you probably don't have a BT dongle either.

my next door neighbor who im good friends with, has a ps3, ur saying he has some kind of usb cable that will plug from my phone into my computer to work microsoft activesync? and to the guy asking about my charger yea its a totally different kind, and i know its not working because it feel apart, the wires came unbined and maybe a simple fix like electric tape would work, but even before the wire unbined the computer wasnt reading the usb so it was just broken.

arrrghhh 07-28-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1886415)
my next door neighbor who im good friends with, has a ps3, ur saying he has some kind of usb cable that will plug from my phone into my computer to work microsoft activesync?.

yes!!

Mylt1 07-28-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 1886579)
yes!!

not only yes, but you can go to any best buy, staples, or walmart and buy the cable. its just a USB to mini usb. its used in cell phones, digital cams, PSP's, Playstations, hell, even the little photo key chain thing i have uses it. they are everywhere. take the phone with you just to make sure you get the right one.

http://www.usb-cable.com/mini-b-usb-...ort-8-inch.jpg

Mojary 07-28-2010 01:09 PM

OP, don't you have a digital camera? if you've bought a digital camera in the last couple of years, that camera came with a data cable so you can connect the camera to your computer to transfer photos. you can use that same cable on your phone. meaning before you borrow your neighbor's, you may already have this laying around the house.

arrrghhh 07-28-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary (Post 1886853)
OP, don't you have a digital camera? if you've bought a digital camera in the last couple of years, that camera came with a data cable so you can connect the camera to your computer to transfer photos. you can use that same cable on your phone. meaning before you borrow your neighbor's, you may already have this laying around the house.

I'm pretty sure I said just this on page one somewheres... For whatever reason the OP is intentionally being coy and/or difficult... I won't list the alternatives.

coolwhip1220 07-28-2010 03:02 PM

You know, I'm gonna cut the op a break. Some people just don't understand cords. My wife has the hero and refuses to use any cord other than what came with it. It drives me bonkers. She even marked it so I can't switch it on her to prove her wrong. So op, I live with your ignorance everyday. I forgive you.

arrrghhh 07-28-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolwhip1220 (Post 1887039)
You know, I'm gonna cut the op a break. Some people just don't understand cords. My wife has the hero and refuses to use any cord other than what came with it. It drives me bonkers. She even marked it so I can't switch it on her to prove her wrong. So op, I live with your ignorance everyday. I forgive you.

But if you come in here for advice, take it! Especially if several people confirm it!

I agree that it is confusing, but c'mon. Don't come in here looking for advice and then seemingly ignore it completely. That drives me bonkers.

Mojary 07-28-2010 03:57 PM

yeah that's how my wife is too. if it didn't come with the device originally, it will be a cold day in hell before she uses another cord with the device. if i tell her she can use another cord we have laying around, she'll say "but the person we bought it from said this and that..." :violent1:

Mylt1 07-28-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary (Post 1887142)
yeah that's how my wife is too. if it didn't come with the device originally, it will be a cold day in hell before she uses another cord with the device. if i tell her she can use another cord we have laying around, she'll say "but the person we bought it from said this and that..." :violent1:

for both of you, i would hide the cord or just cut an extra up so she thinks it was hers and is dead and gone to force her to use another cord. of course, im an a$$ like that sometimes. :twisted: LOL.

coolwhip1220 07-29-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 1887306)
for both of you, i would hide the cord or just cut an extra up so she thinks it was hers and is dead and gone to force her to use another cord. of course, im an a$$ like that sometimes. :twisted: LOL.

You know those things that only bother you when you're already in a bad mood but other than that you don't really care, you just laugh at it and call the person stupid? It's one of those. But when we start fighting, I pull out the "AND USE A DIFFERENT ****ING CORD WITH YOUR CHARGER!!!"

kaine8 07-29-2010 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 1886785)
not only yes, but you can go to any best buy, staples, or walmart and buy the cable. its just a USB to mini usb. its used in cell phones, digital cams, PSP's, Playstations, hell, even the little photo key chain thing i have uses it. they are everywhere. take the phone with you just to make sure you get the right one.

http://www.usb-cable.com/mini-b-usb-...ort-8-inch.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary (Post 1886853)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 1886897)
I'm pretty sure I said just this on page one somewheres... For whatever reason the OP is intentionally being coy and/or difficult... I won't list the alternatives.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 1887111)
But if you come in here for advice, take it! Especially if several people confirm it!

I agree that it is confusing, but c'mon. Don't come in here looking for advice and then seemingly ignore it completely. That drives me bonkers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary (Post 1887142)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 1887306)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolwhip1220 (Post 1887902)
You know those things that only bother you when you're already in a bad mood but other than that you don't really care, you just laugh at it and call the person stupid? It's one of those. But when we start fighting, I pull out the "AND USE A DIFFERENT ****ING CORD WITH YOUR CHARGER!!!"

geez way to highjack my thread, and sorry im only 13 i know about computers but barely anything about wires but anyways thanks for helping me with my problem, and i wasnt tryna be stubborn, like i said, im just didnt know anything, because on like the first page i guess i wasnt understanding your answer, which i then understood on like the 2nd page, but anyways thanks a lot guys idk i hardly come on this forum but if i had more rep power id rep u, again thanks and have a good day

arrrghhh 07-29-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaine8 (Post 1887981)
geez way to highjack my thread, and sorry im only 13 i know about computers but barely anything about wires but anyways thanks for helping me with my problem, and i wasnt tryna be stubborn, like i said, im just didnt know anything, because on like the first page i guess i wasnt understanding your answer, which i then understood on like the 2nd page, but anyways thanks a lot guys idk i hardly come on this forum but if i had more rep power id rep u, again thanks and have a good day

13 and you've got a TP... man, I hope you bought that yourself! Kids today... listen to your elders! Damn whippersnappers :D

Mojary 07-30-2010 11:09 AM

OP still didn't say anything about if he did any of what we suggested to him. and if you know about computers...i suggest you start knowing about your cables as well. for the past so many years...mobile devices (among other electronics) have been providing data cable for you to use on your computer.