PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Internet Speed via. EVDO SLOW on touch pro!!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124830)

gokuman56 06-11-2010 10:45 PM

Internet Speed via. EVDO SLOW on touch pro!!!!

I have no idea why, but it takes forever, literally, to open a page, I checked my speed and it showed 51 kb/s. Shouldn't it be a LOT More!!!!!!!! Is there some thing wrong, I am running the tank rom (latest version) and can you give me all possible ways to make this go faster, all tweaks, etc. Thanks

gokuman56 06-13-2010 02:41 AM

Re: Internet Speed via. EVDO SLOW on touch pro!!!!

Can People also post their speeds??? Thanks

Thursday 06-13-2010 02:47 PM

Check your signal strength. I can literally go from one spot in my apartment getting 20kb/s and move 10ft in any direction and get +/- 10kb/s. It's all about signal strength.

If you can give us more info like what are you doing for your speed test?(are you going straight to a site from your phone. Or are you hooked up through usb running internet sharing and doing a test on your computer browser)

Also go into your dialer and type in ##33284# and that will bring up "fieldtrial" if your dialer doesn't except codes then go into your windows directory with a file explorer and find fieldtrail.exe or fieldtest.exe forgot which one it's called, although I believe it's fieldtrial. This will give you the most accurate information as to your signal strength (the bars are a very bad representation imho).

Below is a brief overview on the readings, for EVDO speed I believe your going to want to go and select HDR from the left softkey menu. Also change your sample rate to 1. The link below will take you to a thread explaining pretty much anything you would need to know. I know it's not exactly what your asking for, but if you can get a signal strength to go with your speedtest numbers it might make things a bit more clear as to what is going on and why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strra (Post 1028982)

Q: How can I view my signal levels?
A: - ##33284# is the DEBUG menu. If you are prompted for a password,
enter 183729
. Under here you should look at the following 3 sections
(the closer to 0 you are, the better):
Rx Power
Rx Ec/Io
Rx FER

Here is a link to the radio thread which has more information, hopefully it will be helpful to you.

gokuman56 06-15-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thursday (Post 1812562)
Check your signal strength. I can literally go from one spot in my apartment getting 20kb/s and move 10ft in any direction and get +/- 10kb/s. It's all about signal strength.

If you can give us more info like what are you doing for your speed test?(are you going straight to a site from your phone. Or are you hooked up through usb running internet sharing and doing a test on your computer browser)

Also go into your dialer and type in ##33284# and that will bring up "fieldtrial" if your dialer doesn't except codes then go into your windows directory with a file explorer and find fieldtrail.exe or fieldtest.exe forgot which one it's called, although I believe it's fieldtrial. This will give you the most accurate information as to your signal strength (the bars are a very bad representation imho).

Below is a brief overview on the readings, for EVDO speed I believe your going to want to go and select HDR from the left softkey menu. Also change your sample rate to 1. The link below will take you to a thread explaining pretty much anything you would need to know. I know it's not exactly what your asking for, but if you can get a signal strength to go with your speedtest numbers it might make things a bit more clear as to what is going on and why.

Here is a link to the radio thread which has more information, hopefully it will be helpful to you.

I go to DSL Reports and even if I am in a high coverage area, full service, I only get 100 kb/s! Is there a problem with my phone?

Mswezey 06-15-2010 09:41 PM

on my touch pro in the DFW area i max out around 140 KBs with the FULL signal.
now with 2-3 bars i get between 70-120 KBs. So 100 isn't that bad, wait you are doing kilobytes instead of bits?
if your getting 100 kilobits then yeah that sucks haha
KB = kilobyte
Kb = kilobit

in witchita falls i can get 180 KBs all day while im at college

gokuman56 06-16-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mswezey (Post 1817573)
on my touch pro in the DFW area i max out around 140 KBs with the FULL signal.
now with 2-3 bars i get between 70-120 KBs. So 100 isn't that bad, wait you are doing kilobytes instead of bits?
if your getting 100 kilobits then yeah that sucks haha
KB = kilobyte
Kb = kilobit

in witchita falls i can get 180 KBs all day while im at college

I get the same as about you

Mswezey 06-16-2010 12:45 AM

Then that's about where you're stuck out with Sprint's 3G network.

I've peaked out at 3 Mbps on one speed test up around college, but it couldn't sustain the speed.

gokuman56 06-16-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mswezey (Post 1817903)
Then that's about where you're stuck out with Sprint's 3G network.

I've peaked out at 3 Mbps on one speed test up around college, but it couldn't sustain the speed.

WOW, I live in Atlanta, and it should be a lot more if you get 3mbs!! lol

Mswezey 06-16-2010 01:44 AM

haha you would think.
but i think the main reason i get such great 3g speeds in witchita falls is because few people have sprint up there. which idk why, because att didn't have 3g up there till 4 months ago. which i laughed when my roommate's gf was like oh look we have 3g for our iphones!! :/ ...i've had it since i've been up there with sprint.

But less people up there with sprint means less strain on their network which means awesome tethering speeds for me :)

My avg speed is in my sig below. That should be your mark in judging how good your 3g from Sprint is doing
Though the ping wasn't that good lol. I avg 170 ping though best was 150 so far

Mayhem8869 07-15-2010 03:26 PM

I tethered with PDANet/Stock ROM on Alltel TP and would get between 300KB-1000KB on RevA EVDO. Average would be about 500KB. I have tethered a Verizon 3g BB in the same area and get about 100KB-300KB. I have noticed that 3G is much slower in my area.