PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   To flash or not to flash (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93747)

BROOKNAM 10-31-2009 01:18 PM

Re: To flash or not to flash

I always use spritebackup to return everything to before may last alteration, its a pretty good program i've been using since my 700wx.

aznmode 10-31-2009 01:32 PM

I love the way the sprint stock is now. the only thing I want is the weather in the main screen and files being more spaced out in file explorer. I'm gonna stick to it for now. unless mighty comes out with a sprint version then maybe.

Spiderman313 10-31-2009 01:42 PM

You can always flash back if you dont like the 6.5 roms.

rainfreak 10-31-2009 01:44 PM

WM 6.5 has better memory management that is evident in the ROMs that I have flashed recently and in the past. I flashed several ROMs last night but ultimately left Juicy's running and am very happy with it. I originally planned on just running Titanium but Sense is nice and not that much of a memory hog.

But i agree with others here and recommend that you do what I did. I flashed a new ROM about once an hour last night and went through a few before I found the one that I wanted to keep.

BOO B) 10-31-2009 01:46 PM

I must agree with most in this thread. There is nothing wrong with stock ROM. Added GoodThings2Lifes tweak and a couple cosmetics and it is almost perfect. Actually a boring phone cause it works so well right out of the box, unlike previous phones. Thats why I can't understand all the name calling and anxioty by so many the last 2 weeks waiting for the unlocker. This is the craziest I have ever seen this forum. I'm going to wait and see and just upgrade to stock 6.5 sprint ROM when it's released. If you go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...5-upgrade.mspx it says release is oct/nov even though many are saying jan 2010.

BOO B)

jdisrael 10-31-2009 01:49 PM

I'm new to the whole flashing thing, and I was really intrigued to see what the hype was about as people were waiting for the unlocker. I didn't know what ROM to try, so I went with Mighty's because it seemed to have the reputation of being the most stable.
Honestly, now that its flashed... I don't understand the reason people were freaking out over the unlocker. I have wm6.5 now sure... and the start menu and window skins look nicer... and there are some minor other polished to the UI and some new program features... But I feel like I'm back to square one again.
My phones resources keep creeping up in usage... I have had some brief freezes, etc. I don't know why there is even a talk about manila 2.1 vs 2.5. I just ended up turning off TouchFlo again and installed SPB Mobile Shell 3.5. The lag when I would first try and slide the TF3d slider was annoying. Mobile shell still seems to outperform TouchFlo and get you to your programs and whatnot, faster.
By the way, I do want to make sure to say that I appreciate the crap out of the cooks, and the Elite Team for all the time they put into this. I'm just waiting for someone to post a definitive review of all these ROMs so I can really understand why I would even benefit from a flash.

otterit 10-31-2009 01:50 PM

I just created a poll that asks the same question. I am curious how many people are going to stay on the current ROM.

chong67 10-31-2009 01:56 PM

I have never done cook ROM before.

I notice some bug in the stock ROM. Annoying sms confirmation. I have read my SMS or Email and it still show up as new message on the main screen.

The only thing I have done is two cabs to get about 25mb free memory.

Sprint will release their 6.5 in Jan? Long way off and slow.

I do have interest in the unlock SIM for domestic use but I think it need to the stock ROM unlock first. True?

freeza 10-31-2009 02:00 PM

To be honest, there are no current ROMs that are better than the Stock for me. Once the chefs get time to work on them more, they'll surpass the Stock ROM for sure. Even better, once a kitchen is released i'll be cooking and flashing my own that is Sprint specific. :)

WireX 10-31-2009 02:03 PM

the speed increase, nicer ui, and decreased ram usage of all the roms I've tried compared to Telus means I'm definately not going back.

So far tried: Juicy's (has a few issues), MM was very nice, and trying Energy 6.5.1 release right now (I like the new bottom controls)