PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sim card and Sim Unlocker? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93652)

SkunkApe 10-30-2009 10:55 PM

Sim card and Sim Unlocker?

well...when it comes to unlocking the phone....installing roms...etc, ive done that for a while now... however, im not too familiar with the sim card, unlocking the sim card, the benefits of unlocking it, etc.

Would anybody be able to give me any sort of info so i could get a better understanding?

rstoyguy 10-30-2009 11:29 PM

Re: Sim card and Sim Unlocker?

Moved to the Touch Pro 2 forum.

krnfrk6663 10-30-2009 11:38 PM

The sim card unlock, just unlocks the sim for US carrier use. (T-mobile, AT&T). It also allows you to change radios. I put a thread out about it to not to long ago. Tried searching for it, but couldn't find it.

Boo Boo 10-31-2009 12:05 AM

why doesnt this stay in the cooked forums?

CovKid66 10-31-2009 12:07 AM

A stock CDMA carrier TP2 has GSM capabilities, but the carrier's original intent was for it to be used for International GSM use only. By SIM unlocking you can pick up a GSM SIM card from any N/A GSM carrier, pop it in, and use that carrier's GSM network.

SkunkApe 10-31-2009 12:20 AM

ahhh ok. thanks :)

c0011j 10-31-2009 03:41 AM

Is it necessary to unlock the SIM? If I am with Sprint and dont plan on using it on a GSM network do I need to bother if I wanna used a different rom?

dallastx 10-31-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0011j (Post 1281853)
Is it necessary to unlock the SIM? If I am with Sprint and dont plan on using it on a GSM network do I need to bother if I wanna used a different rom?

No Sim Unlocker is only for using other SIM cards in your sprint phone inside of the USA. You will still be able to use another Sim outside the country with no alterations to your phone. You only need to use the hspl unlocker is you want to change ROMS. And you will need the Patched Radio "located in other threads" if you choose to unlock you Sprint SIM.

c0011j 10-31-2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1281918)
No Sim Unlocker is only for using other SIM cards in your sprint phone inside of the USA. You will still be able to use another Sim outside the country with no alterations to your phone. You only need to use the hspl unlocker is you want to change ROMS. And you will need the Patched Radio "located in other threads" if you choose to unlock you Sprint SIM.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking and hoping.

subzero1313 10-31-2009 09:21 AM

Ive gotten conflicting answers on this, now that the dust has settled, maybe someone would know now. Is it possible to use both the GSM and CDMA at the same time if I get it unlocked?