PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   WM 6.5.1 Question for you Rom Cooks. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93340)

dehx 10-29-2009 04:04 PM

WM 6.5.1 Question for you Rom Cooks.

I've been seeing screenshots and even tried some roms out for the vogue and tp1 that seems to have change the position of the start button... is this NATIVE to 6.5.1? Wouldn't this break alot of applications. Although given that developers such as myself can theoretically "code" a check in the application and make adjustments to the screen accordingly.

So my questions with you kernel addicts is thus:

1. Is the change in position for the start menu on the bottom and native permanant part of 6.5.1, or is it a preference that the user can set.

2. Would you agree that this seems to be out of step with how M$ has traditionally kept backwards compatibility one of the key features of their (not just smart device) OS platforms?

Your intelligent input is appreciated. Please no crazy "Microsoft has godda ketchup".
Thanks

rstoyguy 10-29-2009 04:10 PM

Re: WM 6.5.1 Question for you Rom Cooks.

Moved to the Touch Pro 2 forum.

dgourd 10-29-2009 04:22 PM

It is built natively to the the OS. I dont think it will break functionality cause the menus will be the same. They are just displayed in a different location. There will be some incompatabilities, but I dont think it would be too much of a problem.

dehx 10-30-2009 08:50 AM

Dont you agree however, that it conflicts with Microsoft's usual trend of keeping backwards compatibility?

If your app its some simple tool or utility, or a home screen plug-in it is a big deal.

nonzenze 10-30-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehx (Post 1278153)
Dont you agree however, that it conflicts with Microsoft's usual trend of keeping backwards compatibility?

You do not understand what the phrase "backwards compatibility" means. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

Beandogg 10-30-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonzenze (Post 1278391)
You do not understand what the phrase "backwards compatibility" means. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

whoa...why so hostile?

nonzenze 10-30-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beandogg (Post 1278414)
whoa...why so hostile?

I was being honest. The OP thinks "backwards compatibility" means "interface icons where they used to be". That's just utterly and irredeemably wrong, as a matter of the plain meaning of the term.

When I say something stupid or wrong (which is often!), I really wish people would tell me, directly, that I'm wrong. That way I can learn. There's nothing embarrassing about making a mistake or misunderstanding the meaning of a technical term and there's no reason to be insulted when someone corrects you.