PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sprint didn't give me a SIM (UIM/RIM) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92228)

HTCotta 10-23-2009 08:44 PM

Sprint didn't give me a SIM (UIM/RIM)

I'm one of the lucky ones who got their (5th!) original Touch Pro replaced with the TP2. Loving my phone but whenever I install a custom taskbar, it shows the no sim icon on the taskbar so I went to get a SIM card at my local sprint store, and the guy didn't know how to take the battery cover off. He had unsurprisingly never seen a TP2 in his life, nor a sprint phone with a slot for a SIM card (!). He gave me the number for Sprint International and told me they could ship me one, got transferred to multiple departments, all of which told me I was speaking with the wrong department. Can anyone (maybe a sprint employee who could take my information and get one shipped to me?!) help me out with where to get a SIM card? It'll keep you busy and pass the time waiting for the HSPL i promise...Thanks in advance!

ajac 10-23-2009 08:45 PM

Re: Sprint didn't give me a SIM (UIM/RIM)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 1259134)
I'm one of the lucky ones who got their (5th!) original Touch Pro replaced with the TP2. Loving my phone but whenever I install a custom taskbar, it shows the no sim icon on the taskbar so I went to get a SIM card at my local sprint store, and the guy didn't know how to take the battery cover off. He had unsurprisingly never seen a TP2 in his life, nor a sprint phone with a slot for a SIM card (!). He gave me the number for Sprint International and told me they could ship me one, got transferred to multiple departments, all of which told me I was speaking with the wrong department. Can anyone (maybe a sprint employee who could take my information and get one shipped to me?!) help me out with where to get a SIM card? It'll keep you busy and pass the time waiting for the HSPL i promise...Thanks in advance!

wow going in circles typical sprint Id say call retentions and see if you can get anywhere with them Tell them enough is enough

apristel 10-23-2009 08:46 PM

Did you get a NIB or refurb?

HTCotta 10-23-2009 08:50 PM

Can someone help me out and tell me the code to see that menu again? I think it was a refurb because I didn't get a retail box, just a phone.

tmz 10-23-2009 08:53 PM

##778# Thanks T M Z

HTCotta 10-23-2009 08:59 PM

Thanks tmz. Alright! I got a brand new one. Still no SIM though, haha. Anyone got some help for me?

bigchico67 10-23-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 1259145)
Can someone help me out and tell me the code to see that menu again? I think it was a refurb because I didn't get a retail box, just a phone.

##786# Many people when replaced to the TP 2 from the TP got brand new phones, but they did not come in a box or anything. Just phone and battery.

Cicatrize 10-23-2009 09:13 PM

Have you physically checked for the SIM card underneath the battery?

HTCotta 10-23-2009 09:16 PM

Yes I have, it is indeed missing. Weird that the icon only shows when I install a custom taskbar though.

leylomo 10-23-2009 10:13 PM

get one on ebay, it can be as cheap as $2.50

hypeo 10-23-2009 10:18 PM

I had the same issue where the sim card was not in there. I spoke to the local rep and stated that the phone is supposed to come with the sim card, to do his research. I ended up with a sim card in the mail from Sprint.

bigchico67 10-24-2009 08:09 PM

If you have a TP 2 as a result of it being replaced because you had a defective TP then most likely 95% did not get a box or accessories. Sprint is not entitled to give you a sim card at all with the phone because they are considered refurbished. Although if you look in your rtn menu most are not refurbished. Basically don't get bent out of shape if your phone didn't come with one, just call in and most likely you can get one sent to you, that or your local service center might have some laying around.

apristel 10-24-2009 08:14 PM

ya they will hook it up for ya. just ask!

firebrain 10-24-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leylomo (Post 1259372)
get one on ebay, it can be as cheap as $2.50

No DONT. You got the phone from Sprint. They have to give you a SIM card.

aaron580 10-24-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 1259134)

Did you get it through sprint or Asurion?

Mutiny32 10-24-2009 09:12 PM

Insurance replacements won't have SIMs, as they assume you are swapping phones and are using your old SIM.

aaron580 10-24-2009 09:15 PM

Oh shoot thats what im getting. Still trying to figure out if its NIB or not will be here monday so I will find out then

neodarksaver 10-24-2009 09:19 PM

just call sprint, they have to get you one.

leylomo 10-25-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebrain (Post 1261790)
No DONT. You got the phone from Sprint. They have to give you a SIM card.

i went to the stores and repair centers and they told me .. its not necessary for domestic functions.. personally i feel its not worth the trouble ... i rather just spend that $2.5

HTCotta 10-25-2009 03:53 AM

I did go to the store and ask, they had no idea what i was talking about or where to get a hold of one. I'm just gonna go back and make it their problem, since they didn't give it to me in the first place. I'm not gonna deal with "customer service" again.

bigchico67 10-25-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 1262685)
I did go to the store and ask, they had no idea what i was talking about or where to get a hold of one. I'm just gonna go back and make it their problem, since they didn't give it to me in the first place. I'm not gonna deal with "customer service" again.

How did you get your phone?? new in box or replaced through advanced exchange??

krohnjw 10-28-2009 10:09 AM

If anyone got a refurb TP without a SIM I do have an extra from a NIB TP2 (dup ESN - wouldn't activate) I'd be willing to send to someone in need.

letsgoflyers81 10-28-2009 10:16 AM

My wife and I got our TP2s without SIM cards as well. We got them from a repair store in exchange for our TPs, they're not refurbished but came in OEM non-retail packaging. Fortunately I have access to plenty of deactivated T-Mobile SIM cards at work so I was able to pop on in to get rid of the notification. It's not useful for anything, but at least the notification is gone.

Meanee 10-28-2009 10:24 AM

Why do you need a SIM card anyway? Sprint's international rates are a ripoff anyway.

If you just want a SIM card, go to any mom and pop cell phone store and ask them for any used SIM cards. Some SIM cards cannot be reactivated and they may have a bunch of old ones laying around. Ask for one and you will get it for free most likely.

aznmode 10-28-2009 02:06 PM

I believe if you go to your network settings and change it to "CDMA Only" you wont get that error. Normally it's set to Global so it's looking for the card.

bigchico67 10-29-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 1272306)
I believe if you go to your network settings and change it to "CDMA Only" you wont get that error. Normally it's set to Global so it's looking for the card.

That is correct, thanks for posting that fix.

letsgoflyers81 11-01-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 1272306)

I get the notification even when set to CDMA only. But for now I've got a disabled SIM in and it's working fine to prevent the notification.

cmdauria 11-01-2009 01:00 PM

Mine is already set to cdma only. Are there any other suggestions you can think of?

cmdauria 11-01-2009 04:01 PM

Somebody has to have another idea...Please!!!!!!!!

unsane 11-01-2009 04:08 PM

Just go get yourself a prepaid T-Mobile or something...the sprint sim is useless unless you plan to trravel outside the US...

Skelator03 11-01-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neodarksaver (Post 1261988)
just call sprint, they have to get you one.

love your avatar forza juve!!!!!!

vonnieglen 01-28-2011 01:35 PM

Just do a search for sprint global sim on Ebay and you will probably find a seller.

boredandtattooed 01-28-2011 01:41 PM

your responding to a post on 11-1-2009.. im sure he figured it out by now lol

vonnieglen 02-05-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2046529)
your responding to a post on 11-1-2009.. im sure he figured it out by now lol

Sorry. I actually did not post this for him. I just bought a SIM from Ebay for my own TP2 and thought that other persons searching for answers here might find updated info useful.:wink:

Mojary 02-05-2011 02:28 AM

Major necro bump!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

ctiger 02-05-2011 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdauria (Post 1286297)
Mine is already set to cdma only. Are there any other suggestions you can think of?

Use an android build, I couldn't get network with a sim card, have to pop it out.
If any sim can disable the warning, no point to buy a sprint card, too expensive to actually use oversea.

Sent from my FROYO X using Tapatalk