PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   TouchLockPro or PocketShield for TP2? Looking for S2U2 alternative... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91641)

snovvman 10-20-2009 11:51 PM

TouchLockPro or PocketShield for TP2? Looking for S2U2 alternative...

Cost [of PocketShield] notwithstanding, what are the pros/cons between the two?

For you who used both, wich one is more refined, stable, and less intrusive or have fewer side-effects on the device? Which is more battery friendly?

Thanks for your input.

xpsworm 10-20-2009 11:54 PM

Re: TouchLockPro or PocketShield for TP2? Looking for S2U2 alternative...

I'm using the lastest version of Pocketshiel, it is on sale now. It runs smoothly on my phone, but you need to disable the "Protect incoming calls" and on Unlocking tab--> application permission --> add your fav Dial program

snovvman 10-21-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpsworm (Post 1250407)
I'm using the lastest version of Pocketshiel, it is on sale now. It runs smoothly on my phone, but you need to disable the "Protect incoming calls" and on Unlocking tab--> application permission --> add your fav Dial program

Thank you.

Are you indicating that PocketShield's protect incoming calls function has to disabled? I like how S2U2 can put up its own answer interface. It all but eliminates accidental answer or activation (of other stuff on the screen) when the phone wakes up and rings and it's in pocket.

redd214 10-21-2009 12:31 AM

+1 for pocketshield. very lite weight and gets the job done right without the battery drain of s2u2. the missed notification reminders are a nice addition as well.

also if you are gooing to spring for pocketshield i highly recommend their new app volumex as well. they integrate wonderfully

xpsworm 10-21-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 1250442)
Thank you.

Are you indicating that PocketShield's protect incoming calls function has to disabled? I like how S2U2 can put up its own answer interface. It all but eliminates accidental answer or activation (of other stuff on the screen) when the phone wakes up and rings and it's in pocket.

I think three is a conflict between PS and HTC Dialer. PS incoming phone protection works well for WM dialer only. There is a post on pocketshield forum about that.

zeuswsu 10-21-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpsworm (Post 1250652)
I think three is a conflict between PS and HTC Dial. PS incoming phone protection works well for WM dial pad only. There is a post on pocketshield forum about that.

Yep, i went back to s2u2 because of wierd things that would happen to the dialer when i was using PS. Most annoying to me was that the "mute ring" button wouldnt work.

WisdomWolfX 10-21-2009 03:27 AM

I have to give another vote to pocket shield. It works easily and most of the time you don't know it's there since it unlocks automatically with light. As long as you turn off the call lock as mentioned previously and use the built-in one it functions almost flawlessly.

The only problem I have with it is that the phone always defaults back to portrait if it falls asleep while open. I used to have to close/reopen the keyboard to get back to landscape, but I solved the problem by assigning a long press of the envelope to rotate 270 degrees and now I'm all set. The developers are also aware of a problem so a fix should be coming soon.

Even with the above noted inconvenience Pocket Shield is still better than anything else I've tried (nothing, S2U2, WM 6.5 auto-lock).

ashoush 10-21-2009 08:20 AM

I have used S2U2 and pocket shield and must say that pocket shield is a much easier procudt to use. I also like the fact that you do not have to swipe in the same place each time. as long as you start at the top some where. I ended up wearing out my mogul in the exact place that S2U2 forced you to slide to unlock.

BK111968 10-22-2009 10:27 AM

I was using S2U2 until yesterday when I started having issues with it (when locked it would sometimes bring up the align screen and crosshairs and only a soft-reset would fix it).

I haven't had any sort of problems with Pocket Shield but the one thing I don't like about it is that it puts your phone into sleep mode after the phone is locked for a user defined period of time. I have mine set to 50 seconds and then it goes to sleep.

snovvman 10-22-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK111968 (Post 1253944)
I haven't had any sort of problems with Pocket Shield but the one thing I don't like about it is that it puts your phone into sleep mode after the phone is locked for a user defined period of time. I have mine set to 50 seconds and then it goes to sleep.

What about that don't you like? I would imagine that sleep mode would help battery life? Is there a side-effect I am not aware of?

snovvman 10-22-2009 10:35 AM

Not a single TouchLockPro user eh?

BOO B) 10-22-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK111968 (Post 1253944)
I was using S2U2 until yesterday when I started having issues with it (when locked it would sometimes bring up the align screen and crosshairs and only a soft-reset would fix it).

Don't know if that is a S2U2 lock issue. It has been found out if you accidentally push both volume keys at the same time (like if they hit on bottom or side of a pouch) then tap screen it brings up the align screen menu. It is built into the phone to do that. Having said that I'm not a fan of S2U2. I have been using pocketshield since having my Touch Pro and now on TP2.

BOO B)

jmorton10 10-22-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOO B) (Post 1253977)
I have been using pocketshield since having my Touch Pro and now on TP2.

Same here, PS is awesome.

I used s2u2 for a year or more in my xv6800's but when I tried to use it in my original TP I had nothing but problems with it despite try various different versions before giving up.

At that point, somebody here suggested trying PS. Once I tried it, I was totally hooked. All my problems disappeared & my battery life noticeably improved.

I leave all the boxes unchecked on the phone tab in the PS setup (& answer the phone with the stock s2a setup). I set it to unlock with either light, a finger swipe or pulling the stylus out.

When I click the top button on my TP2, the screen goes out & it's locked. A second press lights the screen & if there is light it unlocks almost instantly. If it is dark, I unlock it with a quick finger swipe.

Since swapping to PS over a year ago, I have never once had a problem answering any of my phones & they don't dial or answer unless I want them to. Running PS has no affect on battery life, so to me it is a perfect app.

~John

adam12 10-22-2009 01:23 PM

+1 for pocket shield. It solved my align screen issue

freeza 10-22-2009 01:35 PM

I was reluctant to try pocketshield, and while the interface sucks balls compared to S2U2, battery life is noticeably better. This is after I, for the first time, actually did a battery test because of one of the threads about battery life a few days ago and noticed S2U2 has my phone idling at well over 100+mAh.

At any rate, I may get an extended slim battery and start using S2U2 again.

I guess pocketshield is okay, definitely nothing to write home about. I am hoping they will incorporate some sort of pin locking system because as it stands now, it's almost useless to me as nothing more than a mediocre screen locking app, and this is where S2U2 excels.

BOO B) 10-22-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeza (Post 1254648)
I was reluctant to try pocketshield, and while the interface sucks balls compared to S2U2, battery life is noticeably better. This is after I, for the first time, actually did a battery test because of one of the threads about battery life a few days ago and noticed S2U2 has my phone idling at well over 100+mAh.

At any rate, I may get an extended slim battery and start using S2U2 again.

I guess pocketshield is okay, definitely nothing to write home about. I am hoping they will incorporate some sort of pin locking system because as it stands now, it's almost useless to me as nothing more than a mediocre screen locking app, and this is where S2U2 excels.

Actually if you go into their phorums, You will see that pin locking is on the agenda for next update.

BOO B)

EDIT: You can find it here: http://forums.jdbp.mobi/phorum/read.php?2,5466

freeza 10-22-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOO B) (Post 1254709)
Actually if you go into their phorums, You will see that pin locking is on the agenda for next update.

BOO B)

EDIT: You can find it here: http://forums.jdbp.mobi/phorum/read.php?2,5466

Thanks! Hopefully sometime soon.

kevmo1965 10-22-2009 03:32 PM

-1 for Pocket Shield for me. Even with the the setting earlier regarding an incoming call, my bluetooth device's buttons still will not answer or end a call. Also the bottom buttons on my screen would change back to wm6 default (calendar and contacts) rather than the manila settings for each tab.
All fixed after uninstall.

dew.man 12-09-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 1253964)
Not a single TouchLockPro user eh?

I finally gave up on PS after trying every setting possible only to have my TP2 still unlocking in the dark.

They, after stumbling accross your post, tried the latest version of TouchLockPro, and after a day of running it, could not be happier!

It does exactly what I want, is very easy to customize, and does not appear to hog resources or drain my battery.

Great, great product!!!

1999TL 12-09-2009 08:06 AM

I dont have a problem with it unlocking in the dark. I just installed the latest v.3.2.5.4 RC2. Funny thing is that you can't calibrate the light sensor on that beta. It closes the program, but the stock settings work fine.

I'm back on Pocketshield after a few months hiatus b/c I kind of got tired of having to slide to unlock. I like the light sensor feature.

jmorton10 12-09-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1398801)

I'm back on Pocketshield after a few months hiatus b/c I kind of got tired of having to slide to unlock. I like the light sensor feature.

yea, the light sensor feature is awesome (especially in the TP2 where you don't have the center round D-Pad button to unlock like you could with the TP)

I LOL when people say "it doesn't look as cool as s2u2". When it is set to unlock with light & calibrated correctly, it unlocks so fast you don't even see the screen 95% of the time so who cares what it looks like??

There are a bunch of themes for it, but I can't see any reason to use them as you'll never see them most of the time anyway. I do have to "slide to unlock" once in a great while if it is pitch dark when the phone rings, but even that feature is done much better than s2u2 as others have mentioned (although I don't use the feature, you can also unlock by shaking the phone or pulling out the stylus if you set it that way). You can swipe down from anywhere on the screen instead of just one small area like an iphone or s2u2 + someone unfamiliar with the phone would really have no clue how to unlock it.

I have use PS in at least 6-8 different phones now & set up correctly it works perfectly. It just sits there & does exactly what it's supposed to do with no drama. It is a MUCH MUCH lighter program than s2u2 & does not affect battery life enough to even notice. I have used it for over a year & never once had any phone "pocket dial" or refuse to correctly answer an incoming call.

Someone did an awesome post with every single lock program available listed at one point (there's like 10 of them) & I have tried them all. PS, set correctly in the options, is the only one I found to have no disadvantages whatever. It just sits there & does what it's supposed to perfectly every time.

~John

dew.man 12-09-2009 10:27 AM

With the TouchProLock, if I need to unlock in the dark, I have it set to pick a shaking gesture off the GSensor - and the gesture is customizable.

As for looks, it changes nothing other than shows a thin, red bar along the top when locked.

Oh, and there's a setting that let me set it to vibrate once on lock, twice on unlock.

Very cool piece of software!

dumpringz 12-09-2009 07:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeuswsu
Quote:

Originally Posted by xpsworm (Post 1250652)
I think three is a conflict between PS and HTC Dial. PS incoming phone protection works well for WM dial pad only. There is a post on pocketshield forum about that.

Yep, i went back to s2u2 because of wierd things that would happen to the dialer when i was using PS. Most annoying to me was that the "mute ring" button wouldnt work.

under phone tab in the settings if u check enable hard keys u can choose which 1z n just put a check in the box for mute/volume keys. worked for me & the same problem i to had, disappeared

WisdomWolfX 12-09-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1398834)
yea, the light sensor feature is awesome (especially in the TP2 where you don't have the center round D-Pad button to unlock like you could with the TP)

I LOL when people say "it doesn't look as cool as s2u2". When it is set to unlock with light & calibrated correctly, it unlocks so fast you don't even see the screen 95% of the time so who cares what it looks like??

There are a bunch of themes for it, but I can't see any reason to use them as you'll never see them most of the time anyway. I do have to "slide to unlock" once in a great while if it is pitch dark when the phone rings, but even that feature is done much better than s2u2 as others have mentioned (although I don't use the feature, you can also unlock by shaking the phone or pulling out the stylus if you set it that way). You can swipe down from anywhere on the screen instead of just one small area like an iphone or s2u2 + someone unfamiliar with the phone would really have no clue how to unlock it.

I have use PS in at least 6-8 different phones now & set up correctly it works perfectly. It just sits there & does exactly what it's supposed to do with no drama. It is a MUCH MUCH lighter program than s2u2 & does not affect battery life enough to even notice. I have used it for over a year & never once had any phone "pocket dial" or refuse to correctly answer an incoming call.

Someone did an awesome post with every single lock program available listed at one point (there's like 10 of them) & I have tried them all. PS, set correctly in the options, is the only one I found to have no disadvantages whatever. It just sits there & does what it's supposed to perfectly every time.

~John

This has been my experience as well. I disabled all the options for protect on incoming call as the default slide 2 unlock does it's job quite well. I you missed one of the biggest advantages though and that's the option to lock during calls ONLY when using bluetooth. This is especially helpful with the TP2 due to the crazy proximity sensor.

BooDaddy 12-09-2009 09:34 PM

+1 for TouchLockPro. Screw Pocketshield and its cost! TouchLockPro is free, and works wonderfully. Also it only uses like 38k of ram, whereas PocketShield uses like 1.7 meg. S2U2 uses around 4 meg. TouchLockPro is extremely lightweight, and runs perfect. Tons of customization, and it makes full use of the light sensor and all the other sensors on the phone.

Oh yeah, its kinda hard to beat the price.... FREE :)
Heres the link, check it out, and it ya like it, hit the "thanks" button, and maybe be nice and make a donation to the authors (not me) on their site:
http://www.zuinigerijder.com/

I love it.

jmorton10 12-09-2009 09:59 PM

Too each his own, but I used TouchLock Pro before switching to PocketShield & I didn't really care for it at all.

~John

BooDaddy 12-09-2009 10:04 PM

Have you tried the newest release? They made ALOT of great changes in the newest version.

jmorton10 12-09-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1400626)
Have you tried the newest release? They made ALOT of great changes in the newest version.

I really have no reason to, I will never use anything but ps at this point anyway. I never liked how it didn't have an actual lock screen(half the time I wasn't sure if it was locked or not), and I hated what it did to the taskbar icons.

John

BOO B) 12-10-2009 04:39 PM

Don't no if I'm missing something and didn't want to start a new thread. But I went to use my speaker phone today and it wouldn't work. I have tracked it back to pocketshield. If I shut pocketshield off I can then use my speaker phone (turning it upside down on the table speaker phone). Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it fixable without shutting pocketshield down? Thanks in advance for any info.

BOO B)

WisdomWolfX 12-10-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOO B) (Post 1402885)
Don't no if I'm missing something and didn't want to start a new thread. But I went to use my speaker phone today and it wouldn't work. I have tracked it back to pocketshield. If I shut pocketshield off I can then use my speaker phone (turning it upside down on the table speaker phone). Has anyone else had this problem and if so was it fixable without shutting pocketshield down? Thanks in advance for any info.

BOO B)

Disable unlock by gesture and you shouldn't have this problem. My speakerphone works just fine when I turn my phone over and I always use pocketshield.

BOO B) 12-10-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1402896)
Disable unlock by gesture and you shouldn't have this problem. My speakerphone works just fine when I turn my phone over and I always use pocketshield.

Thank you for responding. I just tested it out and that is the safe way just disabling gesture. But after testing it, it is just the gesture that flips. If you set it to the side to side gesture the speaker phone still works. Thank You so much that was driving me crazy!

BOO B)

ZuinigeRijder 12-19-2009 10:42 AM

TouchLockPro version 2.9 supports now the *NEW* ZoomBar unlock. Great for the TP2.

See http://www.zuinigerijder.com

Have fun :joker:

BooDaddy 12-19-2009 02:19 PM

Now thats a great feature!! Thanks for keeping an awesome program up to date ZuinigeRijder, you guys do great work! Downloading it now.

webparrot 01-11-2010 11:16 PM

Is anyone having issues using your bluetooth with Pocket Shield. I have a Discovery 925 and Touch Pro 2 (all stock rom). Seems I can't answer incoming calls using my bluetooth button. When I press it during an incoming call the ringer transfers to the BT.

Thanks,
WP

****I changed the following settings and everything works great****

Protect touch screen on incoming calls - Unchecked
Unblock Answer/End hard keys on incoming calls

bax767 04-28-2010 07:44 PM

Thumbs up for Pocket Shield - very effective, intuitive, and easy to set up. I wasted a couple of hours today trying to decipher all the complicated settings for TouchLockPro and finally gave up after I still couldn't get it to work right. TouchLockPro may be a great program, but I don't have the time to decipher the inadequate instructions. Pocket Shield was well worth the 15 bucks.

horndoctor 04-28-2010 07:55 PM

Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Has anyone tried Slide2UnlockPro?
I use it on my diamond and it works just fine! It's free and it only uses about 600kb of ram. :D

pckshd 05-17-2010 03:06 PM

New version of PocketShield available, and new cool layouts! :wave:

http://www.pocketshield.net/skins/1040/preview_qvga.jpg http://www.pocketshield.net/skins/1051/preview_qvga.jpg http://www.pocketshield.net/skins/1060/preview_qvga.jpg

http://www.pocketshield.net

For skins: http://www.pocketshield.net/skins

kgb247 05-17-2010 05:47 PM

+1 for pocketshield. awesome software, free upgrades.

playaed 05-17-2010 10:00 PM

The best lock app in my opinion is the stock lock app on the 6.5. I use keyboard config to remap the powerbutton to lock my phone.