PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Question about HSPL and official ROMS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89058)

yaco 10-06-2009 10:36 AM

Question about HSPL and official ROMS

ok.. so, i know there are people working hard on the HSPL and I don't mean to interfere with that at all. I am patiently (seriously) awaiting for when it comes out.

My question is completely out of curiosity... It has to do with the official upgrade ROMS... The official ROM includes the code needed to allow you to upgrade your ROM, right?

So, wouldn't in be possible to "copy that part of the code" out of an official ROM and then "embed it" to a custom ROM making it look like an official upgrade ROM?

Kamokazi 10-06-2009 10:53 AM

Re: Question about HSPL and official ROMS

I'm assuming no, or people would have been doing it by now. My knowledge of software development is limited, but I am guessing it has to do with some sort of signature based on a CRC of the image/files so changing it would make it invalid.

rstoyguy 10-06-2009 11:13 AM

Moved to the HTC Touch Pro 2 forum.

yaco 10-06-2009 03:39 PM

ok.. really not sure why would one move a question about HSPL UPGRADES from the TP2 UPGRADES forum (while there are other threads about it in there)... if it's just ROMs then rename the forum...

Anyway, the question still stands... anyone know why can't we do it?

MightyMike 10-06-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaco (Post 1217834)
ok.. really not sure why would one move a question about HSPL UPGRADES from the TP2 UPGRADES forum (while there are other threads about it in there)... if it's just ROMs then rename the forum...

Anyway, the question still stands... anyone know why can't we do it?

The upgrade forum is meant for any roms,radios,kitchensetc, not questions.

Just to clarify.

You will get more responses within the general discussion. :)

gTen 10-06-2009 03:57 PM

Let me give explain...in windows you got certified drivers, and when you change them they are not certified any more.

There is a CRC/MD5/SHA not sure the exact but similar concept a Digital Signature that validates it bit by bit, just by changing 1 would completely break the digital signature.

Now sure you can match it and make it exact signature..but that would be 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

simply put not possible.

The only way to make an unofficial rom run on none HardSPL is by knowing the algorithm and the secret key used. And don't about cracking the key..unless you got a few super computers running at 1.105 PFLOPS lying around in the basement somewhere.

yaco 10-06-2009 04:08 PM

Thanks man! That makes more sense... I'll work on that PFLOPs farm while we wait for the HSPL. :)

yznhmr 10-07-2009 07:52 PM

ill see your PFLOPs farm, and raise you 2 PFLOP farms....

"Green acres is the place to be..."

relisted 10-09-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1217866)

Now sure you can match it and make it exact signature..but that would be 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

simply put not possible.

its still possible...:P :]

just VERYVERYVERYVERY (etc.) unlikley ;D

hahahahaha jk

relisted 10-09-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yznhmr (Post 1221137)
ill see your PFLOPs farm, and raise you 2 PFLOP farms....

"Green acres is the place to be..."

+1!

lmfao