PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Dyeing battery cover-(SPRINT) (Video of dyeing/removing orange backing)-UPDATED! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88405)

[sammich] 10-02-2009 08:22 PM

Re: Dyeing your battery cover- Instructions (Pics of orange removed)

Personally, I think this thread should be kept and kept separate from the VZW thread. It offers valuable information for the users who have the battery covers of different carriers.

To the OP: I really like your idea! Do you think it's possible to dye the actual orange part of the device, though? I ask because I kinda like the perforated look.

leepriestenator 10-02-2009 09:13 PM

The Verizon Battery cover thread has Verizon's mentioned in the title. It would be wierd to find a SPRNT cover there.

@OP... can you edit it to reflect SPRINT in the title? Creating a seperate thread for it was a great idea. I was looking for something like this earlier today specific to the SPRINT's battery cover and couldn't find anything.

Either that or merge both threads with a "MOD your TP2 Battery Cover" title.

SolApathy 10-02-2009 10:47 PM

I don't think it will dye the orange. Since I have the orange pieces from my tear-down I will try to dye it & see if it sticks when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the support!

orlandojumpoff 10-02-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolApathy (Post 1210518)
I don't think it will dye the orange. Since I have the orange pieces from my tear-down I will try to dye it & see if it sticks when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the support!

wait, so what exactly are you dyeing? i thought u dyed the orange part behind the holes... if not, aren't the holes exposing the back to water damage? or are there two back pieces behind the battery cover? if so, how are you putting it back on after prying it off?

SolApathy 10-03-2009 12:36 AM

The rear battery cover does not protect it from water damage. There are 2 speaker holes at the top & the lanyard hole at the bottom that opens into the device, not to mention the other holes :)

I did not dye anything yet. I am about to dye the orange part separately to see if it can be dyed. That way people can decide on what they want to do before making the plunge into dyeing or physically removing the internal insert.

You cannot remove & replace the orange insert. It is 1 black plastic piece glued to the Orange plastic "grill" material. In the actual battery cover they applied a light epoxy to the mesh area to hold it on. It is a little messy to remove & takes a few minutes to clean off.

The inserts I am creating are made out of colored electrical tape. The third picture is actually a Photo of the American Flag, with cutout ares for the camera, mute button, and speakers made on a piece of glossy photo paper.

brisk 10-03-2009 02:34 AM

interesting...i will do this once i get sick of the orange.
for now i actually dont' mind the orange.
but im wondering why sprint didn't go with yellow...since it is their company color it seems.

BROOKNAM 10-03-2009 11:04 AM

Re: Dyeing your battery cover-(SPRINT) Instructions (Pics of orange removed)

not really fond of the orange, but no biggie, i also think you should post a youtube video of this. good work!

BROOKNAM 10-03-2009 11:32 AM

funny i just peeled the orange part right off i didnt need a razor or anything i pulled it with my finger nail and it came right off. it looks all black with holes, i might put different color electrical tape on it from time 2 time, but fro the most part i think i will keep it just black.

SolApathy 10-03-2009 12:24 PM

The second TP I peeled off in 2 pieces. The first half came off nicely, but the second half left part of the orange material stuck & I had to do some more scraping so I think it's hit & miss. just depends on the quality of the glue job they did.

I may make a youtube video on dyeing the battery cover. I just have to decide what color I want. It's pretty simple process, though.

BROOKNAM 10-06-2009 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this is the back dyed with the orange removed...