PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   ActiveSync with Gmail for push email support (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86586)

bstan 09-22-2009 02:51 PM

ActiveSync with Gmail for push email support

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...l-support.html

Right now everyone is killing google's servers, so don't expect this to work just yet.

silverkorn 09-22-2009 02:58 PM

Re: ActiveSync with Gmail for push email support

i was able to get it working for my TP2 but noticed the battery life suffered quite a bit. So im going to stick with IMAP Gmail for now.

bstan 09-22-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverkorn (Post 1185792)
i was able to get it working for my TP2 but noticed the battery life suffered quite a bit. So im going to stick with IMAP Gmail for now.

Interesting. How long did you test this for, this feature was just released today. I can't imagine why this would take any more battery life than a regular exchange server. On my Samsung i760 I noticed little decrease in battery life with exchange. I haven't been using exchange on my TP2 though.

rainfreak 09-22-2009 03:03 PM

I use Exchange sync with my TP2 and I also use IMAP to another personal domain (10 minute checks) and I get amazing battery life.

silverkorn 09-22-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstan (Post 1185798)
Interesting. How long did you test this for, this feature was just released today. I can't imagine why this would take any more battery life than a regular exchange server. On my Samsung i760 I noticed little decrease in battery life with exchange. I haven't been using exchange on my TP2 though.

i was testing it for about 2-3 hours today and noticed a 10% drop in battery life with it only receiving two test emails. I was going to give it 24 hours to fully test it but for me the IMAP version of Gmail is all i really need. I Sync my phone with my computer at work, without an Exchange Server, so i wouldnt need the Google Contact and Calendar sync just yet.

eldersoul 09-22-2009 03:19 PM

So this actually goes through activesync or a third party program?

silverkorn 09-22-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldersoul (Post 1185855)
So this actually goes through activesync or a third party program?

it uses the activesync on the phone to connect to Google's servers

How to here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299

tmwes 09-22-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 1185809)
I use Exchange sync with my TP2 and I also use IMAP to another personal domain (10 minute checks) and I get amazing battery life.

Exact same setup here (and what I had on my TP1), and the battery life is tremendous.

regression 09-22-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverkorn (Post 1185845)
i was testing it for about 2-3 hours today and noticed a 10% drop in battery life with it only receiving two test emails. I was going to give it 24 hours to fully test it but for me the IMAP version of Gmail is all i really need. I Sync my phone with my computer at work, without an Exchange Server, so i wouldnt need the Google Contact and Calendar sync just yet.

I noticed when I was testing the ActiveSync sync was running almost continuously in the background, ie, almost constantly in the process of syncing. Do you known if it was doing that on yours? That would likely be the cause of battery drain. I am hoping this is because everyone is hitting the server at once (like one poster said) and causing overload.

I plan on testing again later today or tomorrow after the initial surge is over. Maybe battery life will be better then.

silverkorn 09-22-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regression (Post 1185908)
I noticed when I was testing the ActiveSync sync was running almost continuously in the background, ie, almost constantly in the process of syncing. Do you known if it was doing that on yours? That would likely be the cause of battery drain. I am hoping this is because everyone is hitting the server at once (like one poster said) and causing overload.

I plan on testing again later today or tomorrow after the initial surge is over. Maybe battery life will be better then.

that might very well be the reason for the battery drain as i noticed it took a couple minutes to receive the email AFTER i got the notification through Gmail Notifier on my desktop computer. I will wait a week or so for it to die out a little and give it another shot/

regression 09-22-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverkorn (Post 1185928)
that might very well be the reason for the battery drain as i noticed it took a couple minutes to receive the email AFTER i got the notification through Gmail Notifier on my desktop computer. I will wait a week or so for it to die out a little and give it another shot/

Same here. Maybe trying tonight or tomorrow like I originally said might be too soon..... But at least this is a step in the right direction.

i700plus 09-22-2009 04:38 PM

I just signed up for Mail2Web and got my forwarding all nice and setup and now this?

I'm amazed!

two-rocks 09-22-2009 10:47 PM

Could not get it working on Sprint TP or TP2....

pdawg17 09-22-2009 11:39 PM

Calendar and email is fine but I can't get my gmail contacts to sync to my phone...phone is new and had no contacts so I want them to go right to my phone...nothing...

orlandojumpoff 09-22-2009 11:50 PM

for those who can't get it to work, does it give you a message indicating it's not working?

marctronixx 09-23-2009 12:34 AM

cant use it since im already using Async for the company exchange server...

vzwdts 09-23-2009 12:40 AM

I tried it this afternoon and it took about 20 tries to even connect. I think Google's servers are getting hammered.

orlandojumpoff 09-23-2009 12:54 AM

every time i try to sync, it takes me to the enter password thing... is that because of the servers or am i doing something wrong? i putin the right password and everything, so i'm not sure what's going on. i did just sign up for a gmail account today...

rjmjr69 09-23-2009 12:54 AM

Uncheck Tasks it will not sync TASKS!!!

amw1972 09-23-2009 12:57 AM

I'm assuming that Google have different servers for WinMo and Apple...because my contacts sync onto my iPod Touch with NO probs today. ( I just did the set up today, since I upgraded to 3.0)

My TP2 synced calendar events, email AND contacts initially this morning...HOWEVER, since then, my contacts have NOT synced at all...I know they're still syncing to their servers, but its not coming back down to the phone. Did I mention that my contacts all disappeared this afternoon?? Over 200...sigh...

I'm hoping that the servers straighten up tomorrow, so I can get my contacts back. :protest:

pdawg17 09-23-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw1972 (Post 1187002)
I'm assuming that Google have different servers for WinMo and Apple...because my contacts sync onto my iPod Touch with NO probs today. ( I just did the set up today, since I upgraded to 3.0)

My TP2 synced calendar events, email AND contacts initially this morning...HOWEVER, since then, my contacts have NOT synced at all...I know they're still syncing to their servers, but its not coming back down to the phone. Did I mention that my contacts all disappeared this afternoon?? Over 200...sigh...

I'm hoping that the servers straighten up tomorrow, so I can get my contacts back. :protest:

Oh ok...it's not just me then...I can't get contacts to sync either...

WythDryden 09-23-2009 01:30 AM

This has been working flawlessly for me... I was using rk-smsSwitch before, but this is so much better.

orlandojumpoff 09-23-2009 07:33 AM

am i missing something? in order to get push gmail to work just sign up for a free gmail account at gmail.com then apply the settings when you add an email account on the tp2? i did this and when i try to sync it just tells me to correct my exchange server credentials...

can anyone help?

PPCFreak 09-23-2009 09:10 AM

Question about the data plans for Verizon and using Gmail Sync..
Verizon has 2 data plans, $30 and $45.
$30 is for light surfing of web and smtp mail
$45 is for work related....i.e. Exchange sync.

There rules state that if they see you setup and use Exchange Sync they will up your data charges to the $45 since the $30 is everything BUT Exchange Sync.

Has anyone seen or tried this with the $30 data plan?

I turned it on this morning and sync'd email and then thought about the data plan rules...and switched back to the old method (which works well for me as it auto checks every hour and Gmail is not my primary email account).

Thanks.

two-rocks 09-23-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmjr69 (Post 1186997)
Uncheck Tasks it will not sync TASKS!!!

Just in case anyone missed it! This fixed it ..thanks.

WythDryden 09-23-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPCFreak (Post 1187376)
Question about the data plans for Verizon and using Gmail Sync..
Verizon has 2 data plans, $30 and $45.
$30 is for light surfing of web and smtp mail
$45 is for work related....i.e. Exchange sync.

There rules state that if they see you setup and use Exchange Sync they will up your data charges to the $45 since the $30 is everything BUT Exchange Sync.

Has anyone seen or tried this with the $30 data plan?

I turned it on this morning and sync'd email and then thought about the data plan rules...and switched back to the old method (which works well for me as it auto checks every hour and Gmail is not my primary email account).

Thanks.

I believe the difference in the two data plans is tethering, not exchange. I haven't seen any extra charges to my account, I have the $30 unlimited data plan.

northernpenguin 09-23-2009 11:01 AM

I tried this out, and got the continuously running Activesync. Seemed almost to be fretting about 0/1 Calendar and 0/1 Contacts constantly even when no changes made.

Also noticed the sync was *slower* than my Exchange running off my home server, but I assume that's due to the massive rush to try the service.

For contacts, it sucks because the only way to get your contacts to the phone from Outlook is to export to CVS, and import that file to Gmail. As in goodbye Outlook categories and your contact photos disappear.

Be warned about the limitations of Google Sync too -- things like recurring appointments have a LOT of bugs on the Google Side of things. I ended up with 3 copies of all my recurring appointments, but the other potential side effect includes the mobile device dropping it altogether:

http://google.com/support/mobile/bin...&answer=139655

helix139 09-23-2009 02:52 PM

Contacts, calendar, and mail are working for me, but I can't get mail to show any attachments. Anyone have a fix?

abaldman74 09-25-2009 10:40 AM

same here and bad battery life.

bobturismo 09-25-2009 12:23 PM

If you can't even get it to sign in, I made a thread on connecting to googlesync on the TP2.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ghlight=google