PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Registry change not sticking? (ForceCellConnection) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83797)

SweetBearCub 09-10-2009 01:16 PM

Registry change not sticking? (ForceCellConnection)

EDIT: Partial solution found. See post #7 of this thread.

Ok, so I finally got a generic screen protector on the phone while I wait for a real case and got it activated on my account.

I used Total Commander and went into HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\ and deleted the value data for 'Extension'. (In other words, the key is still there, but it's blank.)

Then I went a level deeper, to \Settings. In there, I completely deleted the 'ForceCellConnection' key.

I waited 15 minuted, exited Total Commander, and turned the phone off and back on. When it came back up, the ForceCellConnection' key was back. The 'Extension' key was still blank.

I've tried this several times, no luck. I can get it temporarily working by deleting the key and launching Internet Sharing without rebooting the phone.

Any ideas to fix this?

In \Windows\Startup I did see a link for HTCStartup.lnk (I think that's what it was..)
Thinking that it might be some piece of HTC code such as HTC_CM_Guardian, I created a folder in the StartUp folder named Disabled and move the HTC link to it. Upon reboot, I got an error that the folder 'Disabled' was not signed and could not be executed. Good. But the registry changes still would not stick.

horndoctor 09-10-2009 01:27 PM

Re: Registry change not sticking? (ForceCellConnection)

I recommend using phm regeditor instead of total commander. I have had much better luck editing the registry with it. I have heard of this happening before with TC.

SweetBearCub 09-10-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 1154402)
I recommend using phm regeditor instead of total commander. I have had much better luck editing the registry with it. I have heard of this happening before with TC.

Umm, you sure? The latest version of PHM Registry Editor I found is 0.70 and it's almost 7 years old...

boredandtattooed 09-10-2009 01:41 PM

why r u editing the reg??? ics works right out of the box

SweetBearCub 09-10-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1154442)
why r u editing the reg??? ics works right out of the box

Not for me. It errors out with error 67 username/password failure. I do not have PAM on my account, and need to use the 'Sprint' connection instead of 'Phone as Modem'. Stock ICS doesn't allow this, due to to that 'ForceCellConnection' key. I tried changing the key data to 'Sprint', but it's back to 'Phone As Modem' after a reboot, the same as when I try to delete it.

Something is either overriding my change, or TC isn't making the change correctly, although I find it odd that all the other registry changes I've made (such as erasing the value for the 'Extension' key) works..

jimmyz 09-10-2009 02:20 PM

I have exactly the same problems- see the thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83581 and some of my posts in the hacks sticky- I can temporarily tether after changing the forcecellconnection key but then it reverts back!
Here are some of my posts:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=30
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=310

SweetBearCub 09-10-2009 03:22 PM

Partial solution found

Ok, I found a partial answer to this problem.

You can stop the "HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConne ction\" key from re-appearing (or reverting back to the default value) if you run DotFRED's Task Manager, move to the Services tab, and press and hold "HTC CM Guardian" for a pop-up menu of options. In the menu, choose "Set Manual". Soft-reset the phone and the key will stop reverting.

Note that if you don't want to have to keep choosing "Sprint" in the "Network Connection" drop-down in Internet Sharing, you are free to change the value of "ForceCellConnection" to "Sprint", instead of deleting it.

However, this does not stop the "Error 67" (Incorrect username/password) error from appearing. So far the only way I have found to prevent it is to open Pocket Internet Explorer (or initiate a data connection some other way) before clicking 'Connect' in Internet Sharing. I thought clearing the HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Extension\" key would do the trick, but apparently not.

Any ideas on solving this last part of the problem are welcome.

If this post helped you, please don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button. :-)

jimmyz 09-10-2009 03:59 PM

Re: Partial solution found

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1154707)
Ok, I found a partial answer to this problem.

You can stop the "HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConne ction\" key from re-appearing (or reverting back to the default value) if you run DotFRED's Task Manager, move to the Services tab, and press and hold "HTC CM Guardian" for a pop-up menu of options. In the menu, choose "Set Manual". Soft-reset the phone and the key will stop reverting.

Note that if you don't want to have to keep choosing "Sprint" in the "Network Connection" drop-down in Internet Sharing, you are free to change the value of "ForceCellConnection" to "Sprint", instead of deleting it.

However, this does not stop the "Error 67" (Incorrect username/password) error from appearing. So far the only way I have found to prevent it is to open Pocket Internet Explorer (or initiate a data connection some other way) before clicking 'Connect' in Internet Sharing. I thought clearing the HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Extension\" key would do the trick, but apparently not.

Any ideas on solving this last part of the problem are welcome.

If this post helped you, please don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button. :-)

Sweetbear- did you try all three registry changes:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint"

MaxCMCon=0

SweetBearCub 09-10-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyz (Post 1154826)
Sweetbear- did you try all three registry changes:

Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint"

MaxCMCon=0

Yes, I tried all of those standard changes last night. They all "took", except for the one that involved changing or deleting the "ForceCellConnection" key. If you look at my original post, I specifically called this out as the problem. I have no issue with any other registry edits.

Though I'm scratching my head wondering why you posted these 3 registry edits, asking if I tried them. They're already listed in the stickied "Touch Pro 2 Tweaks, Hacks, Tips & Modifications" thread, and you also already linked to the single post with these edits.

jimmyz 09-10-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1154835)
Yes, I tried all of those standard changes last night. They all "took", except for the one that involved changing or deleting the "ForceCellConnection" key. If you look at my original post, I specifically called this out as the problem. I have no issue with any other registry edits.

Though I'm scratching my head wondering why you posted these 3 registry edits, asking if I tried them. They're already listed in the stickied "Touch Pro 2 Tweaks, Hacks, Tips & Modifications" thread, and you also already linked to the single post with these edits.

I ask because I am a pain in the a** and want to get this fixed- also I thought for some reason that the adding the maxcon key somehow took care of the problem where you had to have an active data connection before you hit connect