PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Anyone take the subway on a regular basis? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83523)

pistol44 09-09-2009 10:40 AM

Anyone take the subway on a regular basis?

I take the subway to and from work. I had this same experience on my Diamond and now on my TP2. When I'm on the subway the phone is roaming. And because it's roaming it operates in slow motion as if I'm in the Matrix or something.

I hate watching everyone play around with their iPhones while I struggle to do simple tasks like check my email or play a game. In fact it's almost embarassing when I'm trying to show off my phone to a co-worker on the ride home and I can barely slide the tab over to weather without waiting 10 seconds for it to respond. The lag is about 10 times what you'd experience on a bad day. Resetting in the subway makes no difference...

Anyone have a suggestion??

O'Neil Mitchell 09-09-2009 10:56 AM

Re: Anyone take the subway on a regular basis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistol44 (Post 1150928)
I take the subway to and from work. I had this same experience on my Diamond and now on my TP2. When I'm on the subway the phone is roaming. And because it's roaming it operates in slow motion as if I'm in the Matrix or something.

I hate watching everyone play around with their iPhones while I struggle to do simple tasks like check my email or play a game. In fact it's almost embarassing when I'm trying to show off my phone to a co-worker on the ride home and I can barely slide the tab over to weather without waiting 10 seconds for it to respond. The lag is about 10 times what you'd experience on a bad day. Resetting in the subway makes no difference...

Anyone have a suggestion??

Haven't you seen the Rogers commercial.

pistol44 09-09-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'Neil Mitchell (Post 1150980)
Haven't you seen the Rogers commercial.

I only remember the ones with the 2 guys. One guy struggling to find service then another guy with no problems. Then the other guy watches him in envy.. Is that the one??

Anyway I'm not wondering how to solve service issues as I don't have problems with that. I'm wondering if there is a workaround to perhaps disable roaming.. I don't know if that's the best solution but it's all I can think of.

freebie 09-09-2009 11:07 AM

You could always set the phone to "Home Only" and that way you would never roam, just loose signal in subway.

Settings-All Settings-Personal Tab-Phone-CDMA Services-Network Services-Get Settings-Home Only.

Huggybear 09-09-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistol44 (Post 1151005)
I'm wondering if there is a workaround to perhaps disable roaming.. I don't know if that's the best solution but it's all I can think of.

Have you tried setting your phone to home mode only?

Go to the phone settings, phone, options, cdma services, network service, get settings

pistol44 09-09-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huggybear (Post 1151014)
Have you tried setting your phone to home mode only?

I didn't actually know such an option/function existed. How do you enable it?

freebie 09-09-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistol44 (Post 1151028)
I didn't actually know such an option/function existed. How do you enable it?

Look a couple of posts up!:mrgreen:

pistol44 09-09-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebie (Post 1151009)
You could always set the phone to "Home Only" and that way you would never roam, just loose signal in subway.

Settings-All Settings-Personal Tab-Phone-CDMA Services-Network Services-Get Settings-Home Only.

Thanks guys for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to try it tonight. Is it ok to leave it permanently on "Home Only" or should I be switching it back to "Standard" when I get out of the subway again?

railslave 09-09-2009 11:33 AM

i run a train on a regular basis. does that count?

freebie 09-09-2009 11:36 AM

I havn't noticed any problems leaving it in home only, but if you do notice any signal loss I would just switch back. I leave it on home only so I dont roam onto US towers while close to border.