PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   TP2? Sprint Hero, here we come! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82522)

Alksion 09-04-2009 03:38 AM

TP2? Sprint Hero, here we come!

Nice unboxing videos today may I add. Okay lets be realistic though, first I hear it has the same hardware as the first TP. Now I see Sprint doesn't even bother to give a case or other acessories. Maybe we could let this stuff slide, but wait! Why dont we just crank that price up well were at it? Plus everything should be capacitive now anyways. Well the newly announced Sprint Hero is sounding better and better and with that lovely price tag, I might be having a change of mind.

In all honesty, I'm going to wait anyways for October 6 and then make up my mind!

Anyone else?

bikeandestroyx 09-04-2009 03:43 AM

Re: TP2? Sprint Hero, here we come!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alksion (Post 1139549)
Nice unboxing videos today may I add. Okay lets be realistic though, first I hear it has the same hardware as the first TP. Now I see Sprint doesn't even bother to give a case or other acessories. Maybe we could let this stuff slide, but wait! Why dont we just crank that price up well were at it? Plus everything should be capacitive now anyways. Well the newly announced Sprint Hero is sounding better and better and with that lovely price tag, I might be having a change of mind.

In all honesty, I'm going to wait anyways for October 6 and then make up my mind!

Anyone else?

The hero has the exact same hardware as the tp and tp2. They couldnt make it capacitive, 6.1 doesnt support capacitive, and 6.5 does, but not very well yet. Plus this is for business, most people using this phone for business need the stylus to write notes etc.

SweetBearCub 09-04-2009 04:31 AM

While the Hero is cheaper to acquire initially - It has much higher plan requirement, so Sprint, despite being perfectly/technically capable of activating it on a SERO line, will not. I'd rather pay a higher up-front price for the TP2 and come out ahead in the long run due to a cheaper plan.

Alksion 09-04-2009 04:54 AM

It's cool i got the everything plan

takimaki 09-04-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1139586)
While the Hero is cheaper to acquire initially - It has much higher plan requirement, so Sprint, despite being perfectly/technically capable of activating it on a SERO line, will not. I'd rather pay a higher up-front price for the TP2 and come out ahead in the long run due to a cheaper plan.

Hey, where is it confirmed that the Hero will not work on SERO? I only saw some conjecture based on a cnet report that it requires an unlimited data plan, and then it was followed by a plug for the Everything Plus plan. It didn't say specifically that it was required.

MikeElGiga23 09-04-2009 11:55 AM

i sold my pre to save up for a touch pro 2 but the hero has swayed me to wait till october with the new (non gold) design and updated firmware that makes it smooth as butter

Meanee 09-04-2009 11:58 AM

I do remember HTC saying that they will start putting Sense on WinMo devices, going forward. If that's the case, you should see ROMs with HTC's sense (I know there's a PointUI one out there). So you would be able to get Hero experience on Touch Pro 2, if you are on SERO

SweetBearCub 09-04-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takimaki (Post 1140038)
Hey, where is it confirmed that the Hero will not work on SERO? I only saw some conjecture based on a cnet report that it requires an unlimited data plan, and then it was followed by a plug for the Everything Plus plan. It didn't say specifically that it was required.

I based that off of a front page news item on this site. It linked to the CNET report and said something to the effect of "Sorry SERO peeps, Simply Everything required"

But I wonder... If the Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, and Hero all share the same hardware.. And we can easily make TP2 software run on a TP1.. Why can't we port a fully working copy of Android from the Hero to either TP variant?

takimaki 09-04-2009 12:14 PM

Well, as is typical with Sprint, we are getting conflicting reports about the Hero and SERO. I found this on sprintusers:

Quote:

-- After being on hold for about 5 minutes she comes back on and says that in a con-call that literally just occurred, Sprint has backed off of that position. SERO will not be phased out, and the only phone right now that will require a forced change is the Pre. She said that I would still be eligible for the Hero on my current SERO plan (to which I told her to please make a note of that on my account).
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=193546

It does seem strange for Sprint to be excluding HTC devices from SERO, as they have always left the door open to them. I guess we'll see what happens!

MikeElGiga23 09-04-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meanee (Post 1140155)
I do remember HTC saying that they will start putting Sense on WinMo devices, going forward. If that's the case, you should see ROMs with HTC's sense (I know there's a PointUI one out there). So you would be able to get Hero experience on Touch Pro 2, if you are on SERO

thats touchflo3d 2.6 and up. it has the sense design now cuz they are changing prectically every tab to resemble sense. but its still manila.