PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Plastic-like noise on the right side of space bar (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80537)

edu1992 08-22-2009 08:26 AM

Plastic-like noise on the right side of space bar

Hi
I have just received the Touch Pro 2, and I have noticed a very strange clicking noise when pressing the right side of the space bar. It is like a plasticky noise. Initially I thought there was a plastic cover over the keyboard, similar to the one in the screen.
When pressing all other keys, they feel and sound very steady and firm, as I would expect. Similarly, when pressing the center of the space bar, or even the left side, it feels ok too.
Has anybody experienced a similar issue?
Should the space bar sound and feel like any other key, no matter where it is pressed?
Many thanks in advance
Eduard

8notime 08-22-2009 08:53 AM

Re: Plastic-like noise on the right side of space bar

I noticed you're on Orange, but my T-Mobile version doesn't do what you describe. It's the same no matter where I press it.

edu1992 08-22-2009 10:39 AM

It is an unbranded mobile, even though the contract is with Orange UK.

It is the same one as per the HTC webside:
http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro2/overview.html

It is a very annoying sound, specially since one of the main selling points of this device is the supperb keyboard. Which it is, apart from that space bar...

zeROokie 08-22-2009 11:17 AM

removing the battery cover stops the noise you hear, maybe adding some thin padding somewhere to the inside cover might help.

shtewps 08-22-2009 11:21 AM

oh my goodness! haha i thought i was OCD for noticing (and correcting)) this problem. the click is actually coming from the backplate under the space bar as there is a little space for movement there underneith.. so when youre holding the phone and press down in that area you will hear a click.

simple fix was to place a small peice of electrical tape along the side of the battery and edge of the phone underneith the backplate. place it exactly where you feel the click.

hope this helps! dont forget to thank me if it did :D

if this is a little unclear let me know and i can post a pic.

edu1992 08-22-2009 01:26 PM

Hi shetwps

Not sure I followed, I think I might take your offer of the pic ;)

As you say, there might be some extra space of movement under the right side of the space bar, which is making that clicking noise. If there is a space it must be right under the key.

What I am confused with is that the battery compartment is few millimiters away from the back plate where the key is, and there is no direct access to the back of the key from there...

Did yours have a similar issue?

freebie 08-22-2009 03:27 PM

I had same problem with Telus Touch Pro 2... I just put small piece of of tissue paper between back cover and "clicky" spot and that fixed issue. I remember doing this with my Treo 700wx as well. I ll be happy if this is the only build quality problem :).

8notime 08-22-2009 04:16 PM

The Sprint Touch Pro had this problem really bad. I was hoping they would have fixed it on the Pro 2.

The T-Mobile version for sure does not do this. The battery cover is rock solid with no creaking noises.

edu1992 08-25-2009 03:40 AM

HTC has confirmed this is a fault with the phone.

They said all keys should sound and feel the same no matter where you press. They suggested to send it back to the retailer.

Hands up for HTC. Very quick reply and didn't have a problem recognising the fault.

Thanks for you help

TomasPistola 08-25-2009 06:26 PM

Only sound I've noticed on mine is a slight creaking sound when the phone is closed on the End/Hang up button being caused seemingly by pushing down the front part towards the back part.