PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   'Classic' word correction and fix: (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80232)

trevor_g 08-20-2009 02:18 AM

'Classic' word correction and fix:

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick fix that took me some time to find (hoping I can save someone some time):

For those of you missing the 'classic' auto correction (ie. auto-capitalization of 'i' and auto-punctuation of words like 'didnt' using the hardware keyboard), here's a fix for the stock Telus ROM (and others I'm sure):

1. Install the attached cab and reset (credit goes to GoodThings2Life)

2. Change this registry key:
HKCU/ControlPanel/SIP/suggwords from a value of '4' (or whatever number is there) to '0'.

If you skip step #2, you'll find that the 'classic' menu of suggested words pops up even when typing on the hardware keyboard (uber annoying for me - but if you like it, hey).

I don't often use anything but the hardware keyboard for typing so I'm not sure if this fix will affect your other SIPs. At first glance, it doesn't seem to change anything.

That issue was driving me nuts from the day I bought my TP2.

Peace!

CovKid66 08-20-2009 02:47 AM

Re: 'Classic' word correction and fix:

Hmmm...you're issue looks kinda like the thread that's been discussed on the 1st page of the TP2 forum for a few days:

Auto capital "i" for email, sms, etc.

And your fix kinda looks like this post on that same thread posted just a little earlier than yours...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=18

jessiethe3rd 08-20-2009 03:46 AM

The hack works in winmo base but not through htc or opera... too bad as i am spending less and less time in winmo. they need to make this universal.

shtewps 08-20-2009 11:39 AM

^ Well, if it works with winmo sms replies, and email then hopefully that should be the bulk of when you only really need it.

I wanna try, but am weary of any side effects :s although there really shouldn't be any. this is probably the solution I originally used but never had to change any reg settings, but that was probably bundled in the cab.

Tweak_four17 08-20-2009 01:58 PM

the cab works good, works for text messages, PockeTwit and the Facebbok app, works on the address bar in Opera but not in any text fields...is there a reg edit to add Opera functionality? otherwise great cab.

CovKid66 08-20-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1112245)
^ Well, if it works with winmo sms replies, and email then hopefully that should be the bulk of when you only really need it.

I wanna try, but am weary of any side effects :s although there really shouldn't be any. this is probably the solution I originally used but never had to change any reg settings, but that was probably bundled in the cab.

I've been using it since I first posted about it in the other thread, and although I don't use TF3D, I've noticed no obvious / standout issues. To be honest it's been a real benefit having it. The proper automated capitalization and added apostrophes is a huge time saver for me. I'm even using the directional keys to select words from the pop-up list on occassion!

I did not add the additional registry setting mentioned above. I simply installed the cab because I DO want this to work with the slider keyboard. Perhaps it's still too early, but I'm loving it so far!

Tweak_four17 08-20-2009 02:36 PM

another minor tweak that would be nice is the captalisation after punctutation ( . , ! ? )..

CovKid66 08-20-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak_four17 (Post 1112621)
another minor tweak that would be nice is the captalisation after punctutation ( . , ! ? )..

I'm pretty sure this is the default even without this hack. I'm not going to uninstall it now, but have you tried it? I'm sure it used to capitalize the first letter of any new sentence. Perhaps I'm loosing it :scratch:

shtewps 08-20-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1112609)
I've been using it since I first posted about it in the other thread, and although I don't use TF3D, I've noticed no obvious / standout issues. To be honest it's been a real benefit having it. The proper automated capitalization and added apostrophes is a huge time saver for me. I'm even using the directional keys to select words from the pop-up list on occassion!

I did not add the additional registry setting mentioned above. I simply installed the cab because I DO want this to work with the slider keyboard. Perhaps it's still too early, but I'm loving it so far!

+1 Im happy with the suggestive menu. Will come in handy for larger words. Did a quick test and seems to be working as it should.

I noticed after installing the .cab and doing a soft reset that my memory % is now at 55% and before install it was at 65%. Hmmph. What's everyone else sitting at?

EDIT: I'd also like to confirm that this in fact does work in TF3D text messaging! sweet!

Tweak_four17 08-20-2009 09:56 PM

I'm at 69% with it...and I am not getting capitalization after periods but I am getting the capitol I and the ' added in as it should...