PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80125)

shtewps 08-19-2009 01:31 PM

Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Okay, so I just started dabbling with HTC WiFiRouter and I'm floored with how well it works. This really just makes me want to use it as often as I can, but I do have some concerns.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know this app. is undetected by Telus in order to apply tethered data charges. However, if we were to use WModem, the tethered data would be detected.

I am looking to see if anyone can provide me with a technical explanation as to how using WiFiRouter is able to tether data without the carrier knowing. I am assuming it is using the same data transfer routines as your mobile browser, or youtube app. would. But I would love to hear more facts on this if available.

Thanks in advance!

trevor_g 08-19-2009 10:49 PM

Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?

shtewps 08-19-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_g (Post 1111390)
+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?

lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.

trevor_g 08-20-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1111398)
lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.

Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...

MightyMike 08-20-2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_g (Post 1111752)
Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...

Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode ;)

WireX 08-20-2009 09:26 AM

MightyMike has it spot on, as I'd teather through WmWifiRouter on my p4000 all the time, and htc's wifi router now on my tp2 never receiving any additional charges besides my unlimited plan.

shtewps 08-20-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymike (Post 1111759)
Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode ;)

Exactly what he said ^

Hey mightymike, do you have any information as to why this is? I'd love to know..

Thanks for confirming.. I tested this out for functionality and yes I can also confirm it works very well.

tokuzumi 08-20-2009 11:36 AM

There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.

shtewps 08-20-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1112234)
There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.

Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...

tokuzumi 08-20-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1112252)
Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...

Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire render the pages on their own servers, and send it down to the phone. Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire are not sending data to Telus servers.

What I was saying in my post is the WModem program probably routes all internet traffic through one of their own servers, when can be tracked by Telus.

Sorry for the confusion.

shtewps 08-20-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1112260)
Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire render the pages on their own servers, and send it down to the phone. Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire are not sending data to Telus servers.

What I was saying in my post is the WModem program probably routes all internet traffic through one of their own servers, when can be tracked by Telus.

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem, that makes sense now. You're probably right between the two theories. I could see them adding specific packets to each frame that is transmitted, thus setting off the flags.

I can't believe aircards are not obsolete already.

MightyMike 08-20-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1112104)
Exactly what he said ^

Hey mightymike, do you have any information as to why this is? I'd love to know..

Thanks for confirming.. I tested this out for functionality and yes I can also confirm it works very well.

If i'm not mistaken, wmodem uses isext.dll to show exactly what type of connection is in progress.

This is why 99% of chefs remove this dll from their ROMs.

wraith79 08-23-2009 11:08 PM

And the other big thing about the WMWIFIrouter is that it by passes the TCP/IP protocol which is also what is used to detect the tethering. In short, it makes the carrier network think its rendering the websites/pages for the phone and not a tethered device! Another great app for this is PDAnet, you have to install it on your Laptop or PC, then it installs it on your device and there you go, tethering at no charge!=D>

allwires 09-09-2009 01:01 PM

I wish someone actually know for sure how it all worked. I've always heard that with Sprint they usually won't go after you for tethering as long as you don't download too much with it. I had pdanet for my Motorola Q and it worked alright and I never got charged for it. I didn't use it very much and when I did I never downloaded stuff, I just viewed web pages.

cyclical 09-09-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allwires (Post 1151306)
I wish someone actually know for sure how it all worked. I've always heard that with Sprint they usually won't go after you for tethering as long as you don't download too much with it. I had pdanet for my Motorola Q and it worked alright and I never got charged for it. I didn't use it very much and when I did I never downloaded stuff, I just viewed web pages.

I have ran PDANet on my TP on Sprint with a Sero account multiple times and have never been billed. Hell I downloaded a 300mb Torrent while on it.

I try to limit it to just web surfing etc.

jmcourir 09-09-2009 01:10 PM

Hi !

Any of you know if it exist any driver for the HTC Touch Pro2 on Windows 7 to let us tethering with WModem ?

Thanks !

jtadeo51 09-09-2009 01:12 PM

I posted this in another section but there hasn't been a reply.

Quote:

Enable Tethering Stealth Mode - Hook your phone to your pc and use it as a modem undetected
Is there a guide on this?

I installed this cab, how do I know if it's working? How do you activate the internet sharing w/o being detected? Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

This is for Sprint btw.

allwires 09-09-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtadeo51 (Post 1151335)
I posted this in another section but there hasn't been a reply.

Is there a guide on this?

I installed this cab, how do I know if it's working? How do you activate the internet sharing w/o being detected? Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

This is for Sprint btw.

This is actually the reason I posted here. I saw that in the Tips & Tweaks section, but after searching here, another website, and google, I couldn't find any information whatsoever about it. This post is the closest I came. I have the feeling that a lot of people talk about tethering like they really know what is going on but most are just guessing.

jtadeo51 09-09-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allwires (Post 1151377)
This is actually the reason I posted here. I saw that in the Tips & Tweaks section, but after searching here, another website, and google, I couldn't find any information whatsoever about it. This post is the closest I came. I have the feeling that a lot of people talk about tethering like they really know what is going on but most are just guessing.

yea, hopefully somebody can help us out. :silent:

stim_stim 09-22-2009 10:05 PM

I love the search forum function.

Thank you all for allaying my fears.

keery458 09-22-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1110328)
Okay, so I just started dabbling with HTC WiFiRouter and I'm floored with how well it works. This really just makes me want to use it as often as I can, but I do have some concerns.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know this app. is undetected by Telus in order to apply tethered data charges. However, if we were to use WModem, the tethered data would be detected.

I am looking to see if anyone can provide me with a technical explanation as to how using WiFiRouter is able to tether data without the carrier knowing. I am assuming it is using the same data transfer routines as your mobile browser, or youtube app. would. But I would love to hear more facts on this if available.

Thanks in advance!

Very simple, When you dial up through your phone, you register on the network as YOURNUMBER@MB.TELUSMOBILITY.COM. Now, when you dial up using wireless modem, your register on the network as YOURNUMBER@1X.TELUSMOBILTIY.COM. and thats how they simply pick you up as tethering. NOw when you use ICS, since you're already logged in as a connection through your head set and are simply sharing it, they are unable to pick it up, since its logged in @mb.telusmobility.com. Hope this helped. PM me for a cool trick.