PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Do you like your TP 2? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148702)

Tmair 01-14-2012 03:48 PM

Do you like your TP 2?

Hello Guys
I got me a Samsung Intrepid, not so intrepid as it turns out, so I went back to my Palm, but there are things it just does not have, mainly GPS built in, so yesterday I went to the local Sprint store to see how much they would rape me for the privilege of buying an Android phone, they didn't have enough Vaseline in the store to get me to up grade my plan, it would have added $60.00 to my monthly bill, anyway, I have been thinking of getting a better WM phone and was wondering about the TP 2, and how you guys like it.
Thanks in advance.
Terry

vzihome 01-14-2012 08:45 PM

Love it, best phone on sero in my opinion, if you like wm I recommend sharkie rom and/or you can use android off of your sdcard, or nand which is still not stable for daily use. Best thing about the phone is the hw keyboard and speakerphone (its the loudest) pandora sounds great no need for stereo!

Sent from my Touch Pro 2 using Tapatalk

locobear 01-15-2012 12:16 AM

Re: Do you like your TP 2?

I liked my TP2 when it was working. The touch screen recently failed on mine. Apparently there are issues with retrieving the information from a TP2 with a faulty touch screen. If you are willing to fix your own touch screen in the event of damage, then it would not be an issue. I was relying on Sprint technicians.

If you use a private email server for email such as at your business or maybe you have your own domain and email server, then be aware of the issues regarding security certificates that can block your phone from synchronizing with the server. My phone requires a manual certificate be created and added to the phone in order to access the Windows exchange server at my employer. It was too technical for me to figure out and even our tech support people at my employer could not get it fixed for a few days. My phone has been the only phone at my work with this issue, and we have multiple people using various types of smart phones that are syncing with our server with no certificate errors. As soon as they figured out the certificate issue the sync was all good.

TP2 has the best keyboard I have ever used on a phone. Microsoft Outllook and Excel have worked great on my TP2. The phone function has always been pretty clear sounding on calls, and the speaker seems to work well. It's not difficult to use other functions in the TP2 while you are on a phone call. Those things I like.

My 2 cents...

fixxxer2012 01-15-2012 06:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Back in 2009 i bought a tp2 and used it for all of 12hrs before selling and going back to my htc hero. The build quality was ok but i just never got into the phone or roms.

I do know its the most popular device here still to my surprise.

Tmair 01-15-2012 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, as for the touch screen on my Samsung, you have to push hard, even then sometimes it will not respond, it is just like it doesn't know you are using it, on my Treos the touch screen was way responsive, I had an HTC touch for a wile, and the screen was almost as bad as the one on this Samsung, is the touch screen on the TP 2 responsive, or is it fineky?
Thanks again
Terry

fixxxer2012 01-15-2012 11:45 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Have you considered going android? Or do you have a legacy sero plan?

MrGoodtunes 01-16-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmair (Post 2164577)
...is the touch screen on the TP 2 responsive, or is it fineky...

I've had only Vogues, over a dozen of 'em. Their touchscreens have varied widely, from normal (like when I got my 1st brand new Sprint Touch), to near totally unresponsive (like when my digitizer screen 1st went bad), to amazingly better than ever (like when I did my 1st digitizer replacement). Since then I've had replacement screens that were bad from the getgo! I still have 6 functioning Vogues, and I switch screens at various times. Functionality follows the digitizer, not the device. Of course, fine tuning helps (i.e. Start>Settings>System>Screen>Align), but a good responsive touchscreen, lens, digitizer, whatever you wanna call it, has resulted in good response no matter which of my Vogues I put it into. And an iffy screen has iffy results, no matter which Vogue I put it in. I suspect TP2 is like Vogue in that it's the screen itself that determines how responsive it is, more so than the device.

eric12341 01-16-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2164535)

Back in 2009 i bought a tp2 and used it for all of 12hrs before selling and going back to my htc hero. The build quality was ok but i just never got into the phone or roms.

@fixxxer2008 don't see how anyone could go back to a device with a smaller screen and lower resolution from a device with a larger screen and higher resolution.

@Tmair I recommend u give Tmobile a try, u don't get these ridiculous fees for wanting to use a more up to date phone and u get much better speeds as well.

fixxxer2012 01-16-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2164535)

@fixxxer2008 don't see how anyone could go back to a device with a smaller screen and lower resolution from a device with a larger screen and higher resolution.

OP I recommend u give Tmobile a try, u don't get these ridiculous fees for wanting to use a more up to date phone and u get much better speeds as well.

Simple eric, user choice.

matchstickredgti 01-17-2012 02:16 PM

I still love my TP2 even though it's not my daily anymore. I keep it at work and lately have been playing around with Android on nand. Pretty cool. It's a very capable phone and has the best qwerty keyboard ever, imo.

All these people still love their TP2

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...their-tp2.html

2k4mach 01-17-2012 02:26 PM

Still use mine as an mp3 player all the time.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

cheif_of_smoke 01-20-2012 12:24 PM

I still use mine and i love it. it been around the world with me on deployments. would like to go to a windows phone 7 but the one uscc offers doesnt do what my tp2 does. and as for the android phones im just not sold on them. and i cant complain with my plan from uscc either.

eric12341 01-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheif_of_smoke (Post 2165143)
I still use mine and i love it. it been around the world with me on deployments. would like to go to a windows phone 7 but the one uscc offers doesnt do what my tp2 does. and as for the android phones im just not sold on them. and i cant complain with my plan from uscc either.

@cheif_of_smoke when I had my arrive I was able to do everything I did on the TP2 except tether. Since I moved to T-mobile and got an HD7 I can tether now.

cheif_of_smoke 01-22-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2165178)
@cheif_of_smoke when I had my arrive I was able to do everything I did on the TP2 except tether. Since I moved to T-mobile and got an HD7 I can tether now.

the arrive and the pro 7 are some what different. the pro 7 does not have an sd card slot or sim card slot. the arrive does. the pro 7 is not a world phone. i not sure if the arrive is. i really havnt seen any roms for the pro 7/ arrive either. what program are you using for a file explorer, facebook instant messanger, etc. is there an android port for phone 7 yet?

eric12341 01-22-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheif_of_smoke (Post 2165440)
the arrive and the pro 7 are some what different. the pro 7 does not have an sd card slot or sim card slot. the arrive does. the pro 7 is not a world phone. i not sure if the arrive is. i really havnt seen any roms for the pro 7/ arrive either. what program are you using for a file explorer, facebook instant messanger, etc. is there an android port for phone 7 yet?

@cheif_of_smoke they're the exact same phone only difference is one is on a much faster network than the other, there are roms for the HD7 but not for the CDMA versions of the 7pro, I don't use a file explorer everything appears in their respective hubs. Pictures appear in pictures + videos, music appears in music + videos, office files and .pdfs appear in the office hub and SkyDrive for Facebook chat it is built right into the phone as if u were to text someone

cheif_of_smoke 01-23-2012 07:04 PM

the uscc pro7 does not have the sd or sim. the sprint arrive does. i have looked at the acutal phones and specs. unless uscc happened to get a pro7 that has those features and is a world phone and havnt released it in my area.

eric12341 01-23-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheif_of_smoke (Post 2165578)
the uscc pro7 does not have the sd or sim. the sprint arrive does. i have looked at the acutal phones and specs. unless uscc happened to get a pro7 that has those features and is a world phone and havnt released it in my area.

@cheif_of_smoke the arrive doesn't have a SIM card slot either, ot does have an SD (as does the 7 pro)but it's tied to the phone. So if you were to install a higher capacity card ud have to do it before u set the phone up. @dtrush and @steveo70 are 2 examples of those who have done this operation.

gullzway 01-23-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2165441)
@cheif_of_smoke they're the exact same phone only difference is one is on a much faster network than the other

That's awesome that Tmobile is faster where you live, but doesn't mean it is where everyone else lives.
They're mostly 2g where I live, unless you're right in the city. My sprint speeds crush my bros tmo speed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/6cc91c84-16f5-7550.jpg

Tmair 01-23-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2164583)

Have you considered going android? Or do you have a legacy sero plan?

That's kind of what got me wondering about the TP 2, I went in to find out how much it would cost to move to an Android phone, I have four phones on the plan, my phone is the only one with internet, and that is how we want to keep it, to move to an android I would have to "Upgrade" my plan so every phone was on the internet, then because one was a "Smart Phone" I would have to pay an additional $10.00 a month, it would raise my monthly phone bill, before taxes $60.00, that's just to much to pay for...what? The more I thought about it I came to the conclusion that these smart phone really have nothing to offer over good honest business phones, I don't do Facebook, twitter or any of the other sites like those, don't really know what I was thinking, I think I would just like to upgrade my WM phone, and I was thinking the TP 2 would be a good choice.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Terry

Tmair 01-23-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2164681)

@Tmair I recommend u give Tmobile a try, u don't get these ridiculous fees for wanting to use a more up to date phone and u get much better speeds as well.

Here where I live my son and his wife were on TMobile, they were not happy, they switched to Sprint, and say that it is much better, I personily have not tried TMobile, and wont be able to until my contract is up, and that is my goal to get all 4 phones out of contract, then maybe contact retensions to see what they can do, I was happy with my Palm treo, but now no support ofcourse, and now WM has gone that way so it seams they are forcing us into so called smart phones, I plan on getting the best deal I can!
Terry

eric12341 01-24-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullzway (Post 2165613)
That's awesome that Tmobile is faster where you live, but doesn't mean it is where everyone else lives.
They're mostly 2g where I live, unless you're right in the city. My sprint speeds crush my bros tmo speed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/6cc91c84-16f5-7550.jpg

@gullzway my T-mobile 2G speeds when I'm throttled absolutely crush sprint 3G. According to this study T-mobile is faster than sprint nationwide: The Fastest Mobile Networks 2011 | PCMag.com but, I wasn't talking about T-mobile tho, I was talking about USCC. I recently speedtested a USCC 7 pro in a mall and the speeds were close to 5mbps