PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sliding keyboard, no landscape (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147644)

comics10 10-22-2011 02:21 PM

Sliding keyboard, no landscape

My phone has stopped switching to landscape mode when I slide open the keyboard. If I tilt the phone, it will switch to landscape mode because of the G-sensor but it will not recognize that the keyboard is out. When I close the keyboard it will switch for a second to landscape mode and then right back to portrait so whatever the magnetic sensor is obviously works but is slightly off or something. Can anyone help me please? :help:

eric12341 10-22-2011 02:33 PM

Re: Sliding keyboard, no landscape

yea if it isn't switching then there definitely is a problem with the mechanism that's in charge of that. to verify for sure try performing a hard reset using clear storage or re-flash the stock ROM.

Tinkerbell 10-22-2011 02:39 PM

I agree Eric, it sounds like a hardware problem. Comics10, try opening the keyboard and then pulling it closed just slightly. Does your device change to landscape in this position?

elesbb 10-22-2011 03:54 PM

well i would first check to see if the keyboard lights are coming on , if they are then I highly dout its hardware related , but if they don't come on then I would say it is . So id start there , and tinks idea seems like something I would try as well .

horndoctor 10-23-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10 (Post 2151714)
My phone has stopped switching to landscape mode when I slide open the keyboard. If I tilt the phone, it will switch to landscape mode because of the G-sensor but it will not recognize that the keyboard is out. When I close the keyboard it will switch for a second to landscape mode and then right back to portrait so whatever the magnetic sensor is obviously works but is slightly off or something. Can anyone help me please? :help:

Does the hardware keyboard function normally? Meaning, can you type with it when you slide it out? If not I bet you have a problem with the ribbon cable.

Try what eric suggested.

comics10 10-23-2011 01:17 PM

Let me start by saying thank you all for your replies, all very good ideas.

I performed a hard reset, still the same problem.

With the keyboard slid out about halfway the lights on the keyboard come on and the screen switches to landscape mode. However when slid out any more or all the way the screen switches back to normal and the lights on the keyboard turn off.

Like I mentioned, the lights do come on when I slide the keyboard out to a certain point and also when I press the keys.

The keyboard itself seems to function just fine, I can type with no problems, just the screen does not adjust.

horndoctor 10-23-2011 02:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10
Let me start by saying thank you all for your replies, all very good ideas.

I performed a hard reset, still the same problem.

With the keyboard slid out about halfway the lights on the keyboard come on and the screen switches to landscape mode. However when slid out any more or all the way the screen switches back to normal and the lights on the keyboard turn off.

Like I mentioned, the lights do come on when I slide the keyboard out to a certain point and also when I press the keys.

The keyboard itself seems to function just fine, I can type with no problems, just the screen does not adjust.

Ok, if you are not running the stock shipped rom then flash it back on and try it. If still no joy then you have a hardware malfunction. Too many variables could cause your issue if you are running a custom rom.

aedon 10-23-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2151896)
Too many variables could cause your issue if you are running a custom rom.

Ya. a bad flash can leave a bug in your os that can cause it to malfunction or worse

regaurdelss of what rom you are on, stock or otherwise, I sudgest downloading the official tp2 update from the htc website

if your already running stock and have never unlocked or flashed your phone, you can still do this update with out being unlocked.

If its rom related, this should fix it.. it its not... then you'll know thats its hardwear related.
Hopefully it doesnt come to that..

comics10 10-24-2011 12:03 PM

I am running the stock rom and have never flashed or unlocked or anything like that...does this mean it is definitely a hardware issue and that I am @#$%ed?

horndoctor 10-24-2011 12:09 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10
I am running the stock rom and have never flashed or unlocked or anything like that...does this mean it is definitely a hardware issue and that I am @#$%ed?

Well...You could try reflashing the shipped rom which will wipe the memory and restore to be absolutely sure but I'm betting you have a hardware issue. :(

Tinkerbell 10-24-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10 (Post 2152086)

Don't be too downtrodden. Yes, you have a hardware issue. But at least there is an easy work around. Just install this keyboard controller, and then remap your -> key on the TP2 keyboard to rotate the screen with a double click. You have the keyboard open anyways. In one day you won't even miss the automatic screen rotation!! Have a blast out there!

Installing:
- Install SdkCerts.cab
- Install RhodiumKbdControl_XXX.cab
- Soft reset
- Check if keyboard works by pressing hardware buttons and seeing if they do their work, if not - uninstall cab, this wouldn't work on your current ROM
- If it works - go to the control panel and find "Keyboard Config" on a System page

How to define key processing:
- Run configurator (Control Panel -> System -> Keyboard Config)
- Press Menu -> Add key
- When dialog asking you to press key appears press and release desired key
- Set up needed options in key setup dialog and press OK (left softkey)
- In configurator's main window press left softkey "Update settings" to let new configuration take place (reboot is not needed, because new settings will work immediately after saving)

Backup before installing of modified driver is strongly recommended

This is for CDMA only. The GSM controller can also be found here at PPCG.

sdkcerts.cab

rhodiumkbdcontrol_cdma_1.4.zip

eric12341 10-24-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10 (Post 2152086)

@comics10
jaja don't worry u can swear on these forums now. just don't do it excessively

aedon 10-24-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2152092)

Well...You could try reflashing the shipped rom which will wipe the memory and restore to be absolutely sure but I'm betting you have a hardware issue. :(

agreed. But there is still a chance there might be a bug that has been progressivly developing in your phone.

that being said, reflashing stock MIGHT clear that.
If not then its 100 percent hardwear

comics10 10-27-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks again guys, I'll try the mapping fix like Tink suggested. I was considering opening the thing up, guess that's a bad idea.

aedon 10-27-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10 (Post 2152750)
Thanks again guys, I'll try the mapping fix like Tink suggested. I was considering opening the thing up, guess that's a bad idea.

Ive opened the phone up many many times
But that wont help you unless the cable is just a little loose because other wise... what exactly are you going to?

Its not like you can open and imeadietly look and it and know what you need to do to fix it.

I suggest downloading the official update, plug your phone in via usb.
and then run the update.exe from your computer.

You wont void warentee or anything
you dont have to unlock your phone,

Its all legit and has almost to consequences

the ONLY consequece would be if you unplug your phone befor it finishes and then you ruin your phone
(I dont concider apps, contacts, or messages to be a consequence)

Hopefully that will solve it. If not you need to have someone at a sprint store look at it.
If all youve done is run the update then you havnt done anything that they can turn you down for.

I think a replacement tp2 (without insurance or warentee) is 35 bucks. at least thats what they told me

comics10 10-28-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedon (Post 2152788)
Ive opened the phone up many many times
But that wont help you unless the cable is just a little loose because other wise... what exactly are you going to?

Its not like you can open and imeadietly look and it and know what you need to do to fix it.

I suggest downloading the official update, plug your phone in via usb.
and then run the update.exe from your computer.

You wont void warentee or anything
you dont have to unlock your phone,

Its all legit and has almost to consequences

the ONLY consequece would be if you unplug your phone befor it finishes and then you ruin your phone
(I dont concider apps, contacts, or messages to be a consequence)

Hopefully that will solve it. If not you need to have someone at a sprint store look at it.
If all youve done is run the update then you havnt done anything that they can turn you down for.

I think a replacement tp2 (without insurance or warentee) is 35 bucks. at least thats what they told me

They'll replace it with insurance for $35???

aedon 10-28-2011 08:58 PM

no, if you DO NOT have insurance they will replace it for 35 bucks.
Then they ship the phone off the htc to look at it and if HTC determins that the phone is messed up because you either opened it yourself or unlocked it, both of wich you say you havnt done, then HTC will charge you the retail price (About 599) for the tp2 replacment they sent you
But since you have not tampered with it, as far as you have told us, then HTC wont charge you a dime. Sprint will just charge you the 35 for processing and replacment fee

If you have insurance then the replacment is free

comics10 11-02-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedon (Post 2152979)
no, if you DO NOT have insurance they will replace it for 35 bucks.
Then they ship the phone off the htc to look at it and if HTC determins that the phone is messed up because you either opened it yourself or unlocked it, both of wich you say you havnt done, then HTC will charge you the retail price (About 599) for the tp2 replacment they sent you
But since you have not tampered with it, as far as you have told us, then HTC wont charge you a dime. Sprint will just charge you the 35 for processing and replacment fee

If you have insurance then the replacment is free

Oops yeah I meant to say "without" instead of "with". Well that's good to know. I bought the phone off ebay and I think the watermark might be tripped. I'm sure you guys would know, is it the little square of white under the battery cover right next to the stylus? Mine is partially red.

comics10 11-02-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell (Post 2152144)
Don't be too downtrodden. Yes, you have a hardware issue. But at least there is an easy work around. Just install this keyboard controller, and then remap your -> key on the TP2 keyboard to rotate the screen with a double click. You have the keyboard open anyways. In one day you won't even miss the automatic screen rotation!! Have a blast out there!

Installing:
- Install SdkCerts.cab
- Install RhodiumKbdControl_XXX.cab
- Soft reset
- Check if keyboard works by pressing hardware buttons and seeing if they do their work, if not - uninstall cab, this wouldn't work on your current ROM
- If it works - go to the control panel and find "Keyboard Config" on a System page

How to define key processing:
- Run configurator (Control Panel -> System -> Keyboard Config)
- Press Menu -> Add key
- When dialog asking you to press key appears press and release desired key
- Set up needed options in key setup dialog and press OK (left softkey)
- In configurator's main window press left softkey "Update settings" to let new configuration take place (reboot is not needed, because new settings will work immediately after saving)

Backup before installing of modified driver is strongly recommended

This is for CDMA only. The GSM controller can also be found here at PPCG.

sdkcerts.cab

rhodiumkbdcontrol_cdma_1.4.zip

The problem with this solution is when I go to type in the opera browser, the phone doesn't recognize that the physical keyboard is slid out and instead pops up the virtual keyboard. When I begin to type with the physical keyboard the virtual one disappears and I am able to type a single letter. Then the text box deselects itself and i must tap into it again. Needless to say, that doesn't work :-/

comics10 11-02-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comics10 (Post 2153708)
The problem with this solution is when I go to type in the opera browser, the phone doesn't recognize that the physical keyboard is slid out and instead pops up the virtual keyboard. When I begin to type with the physical keyboard the virtual one disappears and I am able to type a single letter. Then the text box deselects itself and i must tap into it again. Needless to say, that doesn't work :-/

Scratch that. Opera Mini 5 takes care of this.

Tinkerbell 11-02-2011 07:28 PM

Glad to hear that you are getting it figured out there. Nice!!

rbyham 12-05-2011 04:36 PM

Wow... mine just started doing this today. Soft resets do not make any difference. I did my last hard reset about a month ago and all was working great. I am overclocking to 721 or so but have had no trouble doing that for at least 3 months. Strange. I do have insurance and am CDMA (Verizon). I enjoy the TP2 especially with Iphonetoday installed. Wonder what the insurance replacements are these days? Any other ideas? Hate to hard reset if it is already proven to not help. I am stock WM 6.5 and never have flashed to anything custom. Other than this keyboard problem, the phone works fine. TIA.

Tinkerbell 12-05-2011 05:07 PM

Hey rbyham. Try opening the keyboard and then pulling it closed just slightly. Does your device change to landscape in this position?

saad2605 01-25-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell (Post 2158800)
Hey rbyham. Try opening the keyboard and then pulling it closed just slightly. Does your device change to landscape in this position?

I just started getting this problem. I have tried closing the keyboard very slightly and it works, but once its completely out it locks up in portrait. I can type without seeing, and when I close the keyboard letter pop out so it's not keyboard damage. Any help???