PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Any VOIP service/software for TP2 via data or wifi? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145653)

vancomycin 07-13-2011 02:11 PM

Any VOIP service/software for TP2 via data or wifi?

Long shot question but -

Was there any possibility of a stock Sprint TP2 WinMo 6.5 having the capability of voice communication over data or wifi with another person using an iPhone who also has data/wifi on verizon? Are there any paid services or otherwise "free" options out there nowadays?

If so, ease of use/setup? and additional hardware required?

horndoctor 07-13-2011 06:18 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Skype Mobile or Nimbuzz?

vancomycin 07-13-2011 07:54 PM

Re: Any VOIP service/software for TP2 via data or wifi?

Yeah I wasn't sure if skype mobile is supported anymore with WinMo OS.

Not sure about nimbuzz as I've never tried it - I may have to end up looking for an ipod touch in the meantime on waiting for sprint launching that photon or galaxy GS2. Still, it's good to know if there are still working options for this phone.

horndoctor 07-13-2011 08:40 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vancomycin
Yeah I wasn't sure if skype mobile is supported anymore with WinMo OS.

Not sure about nimbuzz as I've never tried it - I may have to end up looking for an ipod touch in the meantime on waiting for sprint launching that photon or galaxy GS2. Still, it's good to know if there are still working options for this phone.

I have Skype on mine but I haven't used it in a while. If you don't have the cab let me know. ;)

eric12341 07-13-2011 11:46 PM

I also have a Skype cab I can attach when I get home. also since MS bought Skype its going to be baked into the mango final build or a future update.

vancomycin 07-13-2011 11:54 PM

Thanks eric -

So do you think I can voice chat via my sprint data plan connected to skype with someone using skype on verizon iphone? I thought skype stopped support and (not sure - service?) for windows mobile phones.... edit* I forgot about the MS-Skype acquisition... but support for WM 6.X still?

Also, I thought sprint lost rights to skype - not sure on that either... so much has changed in the last 2 years... difficult to keep up :)

I'm trying to also see the option of getting a new generation ipod touch to connect/tether to the tp2 for video/voice chat via facetime or skype. Basically looking to voice/video chat with someone on a verizon iphone with the TP2 I have and hopefully ipod touch in the weeks to come.

eric12341 07-14-2011 12:14 AM

well Skype on the tp2 works fine as far as voice but with video ud need an iPod touch, a newer Android phone or one of the next Gen wp7 phones with an FFC

EyeB 07-14-2011 12:32 AM

i'm able to recieve data calls to google voice number through sipgate and portgo on phone...

Just haven't figured out how to make the call :S

fring also works like skype, but also like it, it isnt free for landline/mobile calls :S only free to other program users

vancomycin 07-14-2011 06:20 PM

My colleague said today fring works - not sure if this is supported in WinMo 6.X - obviously without the FFC but maybe voice....