PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   If you get a new phone from the TP2, which will you get? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=141699)

garyflynn 03-13-2011 03:18 PM

If you get a new phone from the TP2, which will you get?

My contract will be up soon, and I think I'm going to change phones this year.

I'm looking at the Epic 4G, and would get that except that another keyboard phone, some kind of Epic 4G II might come out this year that is the same thing but faster and maybe a better camera.

What is your phone upgrade strategy, if you were to change?

dsmile 03-13-2011 03:27 PM

Re: If you get a new phone from the TP2, which will you get?

I went from TP2 to EVO and I don't miss the keyboard at all. This was after always having a keyboard since my Treo 300 and feeling like that was a necessity. Now I'm using LG Optimus S (tired of paying $10 a month extra in a no 4G area) and still type as fast on the onscreen keyboard as I did on the TP2 keyboard (when I bothered to slide it out).

gTen 03-13-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyflynn (Post 2067982)
My contract will be up soon, and I think I'm going to change phones this year.

I'm looking at the Epic 4G, and would get that except that another keyboard phone, some kind of Epic 4G II might come out this year that is the same thing but faster and maybe a better camera.

What is your phone upgrade strategy, if you were to change?

Not sure how they are gong to go..the Galaxy S 2 is a 4.3" screen rather then a 4"...so they might not go the kb route due to the screen size...but who knows...

That said I got an Epic and it does everything fairly well...since the Android OS does not exactly support dual cores till honeycomb I'm gonna at least wait for Quad-Cores that were promised at end of this year before moving...by then, the OS and more apps will support multiple cores...

rrjskj 03-13-2011 07:01 PM

i'd just look up info on them and then if nothing ask people i know who have them and get their honest input ..

eric12341 03-13-2011 08:19 PM

im getting the HTC Arrive next sunday its gonna be a great phone. and i think the idea of multi core processors on a phone is totally unnecessary and insane, none of the current game systems even have multi core processors for shit sake

garyflynn 03-13-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2068024)
Quad-Cores that were promised at end of this year

woah! Glad I asked! Quad-cores were promised for 2011? I'll wait with my tp2 for that. Hopefully a good keyboard like the tp2 or the epic and quad cores on sprint before christmas.

Do you have any links about this quad core stuff?

Tinkerbell 03-13-2011 09:26 PM

A 2.5Ghz Quad-Core phone? You’ve gone mad, sir.

Super-powerful quad-core Symbian mobile phones on the way?

tacotoy 03-14-2011 12:34 AM

i took the jump to the epic.... but kept the tp2 and gave it to my little sis. i found i was running xdandroid more than winmo anyways, so the processor and ram jump was welcomed...

that being said the tp2 still isn't a bad phone, at all.... typing took some relearning on the epic, as i had a tp and then the tp2.... layouts of things were similar enough between the 2 to not notice but samsung puts stuff in different places

but i also love the overclocking capabilities.... but all that comes at the price of battery power. i had no issues making it thru the day with the tp2, but with the bigger screen and such sometimes if im on the phone alot its a struggle

gTen 03-14-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyflynn (Post 2068099)
woah! Glad I asked! Quad-cores were promised for 2011? I'll wait with my tp2 for that. Hopefully a good keyboard like the tp2 or the epic and quad cores on sprint before christmas.

Do you have any links about this quad core stuff?

NVIDIA's Project Kal-El: Quad-Core A9s Coming to Smartphones/Tablets This Year - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

NVIDIA Tegra 3, equipped with 1.5GHz quad-core madness, teased by a familiar slide -- Engadget

If you are on a new plan and wish to not waste your upgrade..since Epic has been out for a good time you can always get it off ebay if you want for a decent price and get Quad-Core when it comes out..but if your TP2 meats your needs then thats ok as well..

[sammich] 03-14-2011 10:44 AM

I've been eying the Arrive, but I'm just not feeling it. My contract has been up for 5 months and I simply cannot find a phone that I want.

Sad part is, the iPhone 4 is looking good to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2068082)
and i think the idea of multi core processors on a phone is totally unnecessary and insane, none of the current game systems even have multi core processors for shit sake

PS3 has 8 cores (well, SPE's, but they're essentially like multiples cores you'd have on a computer) :D