PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC TP2 --Turned off HTC Sense and runs much better

It seems lately that my touch pro 2 was getting slower and slower when web browsing and I thought I'd try something to see if it would help out.

It was very much acting as a computer that was underpowered.

So I went into settings/live/second tab and turned off HTC Sense. O.K.ed it, exited, turned phone off, removed battery (to be sure that the cache has cleared), waited a few minutes, put it back together and rebooted.

Opera (my main brower) was much faster than before....to the degree that I might put off my replacement purchase that I was planning to make in a few months.

If I were to guess, I probably got some kind of unknown update to windows mobile or to the HTC interface that slowed it down. They'll probably fix it eventually (if I bother to check) but for now, its much faster than before. The downside is the lack of the HTC interface but given that I pretty much couldn't use the computer side of the phone, what else could I do.

In case anyone is wondering, about weekly, I power the phone off and remove the battery. That has helped with a problem I've had in the past with a stock market tracking program.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
N00b
Carrier: Sprint

onree is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: HTC TP2 --Turned off HTC Sense and runs much better

Yep -- while I liked Sense (particularly with the Cookie mods), I've found that my TP2 has been much more stable since switching to the default WM6.5 'titanium' shell instead. I wouldn't say the phone is zippy, but it crashes much less, boots faster, and is in general a better experience.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Not to burst your bubble, but this is a "known fix" on the Touch Pro 1 and 2. A few quick points that you may consider:

- Our phones get progressively slower as crap piles on. Of particular interest are text messages which seem to bog down the living hell out of WM.

- You don't really need to reboot your phone after enabling or disabling HTC sense, though it will not hurt. You definitely don't need to pull the battery since that won't clear any caches to which you alluded.

- HTC sense is a memory hog and some programs actually don't work with it well at all. People who use GPS utilities typically use a script which disables HTC Sense, starts their GPS program, and then restarts HTC Sense when done (no reboots req'd). I've also experienced horrible CorePlayer performance with HTC Sense enabled, to the point where it would skip unless I disable the Sense interface during playback.

- I don't mean to tell you what to do, but you should probably be soft resetting your TP2 on a daily basis if you are after maxium performance. I typically do it 2x/day in addition to clearing outdated text messages and temp files regularly. You can use "Keyboard Controller" to bind any key to reboot your phone with a single (or long) press of a key.. eg: long press power key.

Finally, take a look at Opera Mini if you haven't already. It's not as powerul as Opera but it is significantly faster in virtually every aspect of performance. I myself use both.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks guys.

Appreciate your post.

Seems that I remember something about assigning keys to certain actions but can't seem to find keyboard controller at the moment.

Where can that be found?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

smileyface22 is keeping up the good worksmileyface22 is keeping up the good worksmileyface22 is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Overclocking helps keep the phone snappy if you want to keep Sense on.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
N00b

onree is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Thanks guys.

Appreciate your post.

Seems that I remember something about assigning keys to certain actions but can't seem to find keyboard controller at the moment.

Where can that be found?

Google for "Rhodium Keyboard Controller" -- should get you to what you want.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
It seems lately that my touch pro 2 was getting slower and slower when web browsing and I thought I'd try something to see if it would help out.

It was very much acting as a computer that was underpowered.

So I went into settings/live/second tab and turned off HTC Sense. O.K.ed it, exited, turned phone off, removed battery (to be sure that the cache has cleared), waited a few minutes, put it back together and rebooted.

Opera (my main brower) was much faster than before....to the degree that I might put off my replacement purchase that I was planning to make in a few months.

If I were to guess, I probably got some kind of unknown update to windows mobile or to the HTC interface that slowed it down. They'll probably fix it eventually (if I bother to check) but for now, its much faster than before. The downside is the lack of the HTC interface but given that I pretty much couldn't use the computer side of the phone, what else could I do.

In case anyone is wondering, about weekly, I power the phone off and remove the battery. That has helped with a problem I've had in the past with a stock market tracking program.
yea not surprising at all. its actually the HTC dialer + sense that causes the bogging down so its one or the other. also completely disabling sense services that u don't use will really free ram and speed things up as well . here's a thread I posted back in Feb that has tips and regedits on how to save RAM and boost performance

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...dont-know.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but this is a "known fix" on the Touch Pro 1 and 2. A few quick points that you may consider:

- Our phones get progressively slower as crap piles on. Of particular interest are text messages which seem to bog down the living hell out of WM.

- You don't really need to reboot your phone after enabling or disabling HTC sense, though it will not hurt. You definitely don't need to pull the battery since that won't clear any caches to which you alluded.

- HTC sense is a memory hog and some programs actually don't work with it well at all. People who use GPS utilities typically use a script which disables HTC Sense, starts their GPS program, and then restarts HTC Sense when done (no reboots req'd). I've also experienced horrible CorePlayer performance with HTC Sense enabled, to the point where it would skip unless I disable the Sense interface during playback.

- I don't mean to tell you what to do, but you should probably be soft resetting your TP2 on a daily basis if you are after maxium performance. I typically do it 2x/day in addition to clearing outdated text messages and temp files regularly. You can use "Keyboard Controller" to bind any key to reboot your phone with a single (or long) press of a key.. eg: long press power key.

Finally, take a look at Opera Mini if you haven't already. It's not as powerul as Opera but it is significantly faster in virtually every aspect of performance. I myself use both.
just would like to correct a couple things here:
1) text messages do not bog down WM they bog down 6.5 especially the stock rom. they do not bog down WM6.1 or WP7.

2) May be right here but as said above with those tweaks made performance is improved even with sense enabled.

3) rebooting 2x a day is totally unnecessary unless u get lockups. I would only reboot 2-3 times a week at the most. whether it be the 6.1 roms or a 6.5 rom with those tweaks applied.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2