PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   IR external port for TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139064)

touch-this-pro 01-01-2011 07:07 PM

IR external port for TP2

is there any hardware such as an external IR port that will work with an TP2?

I want to use the Novii remote control.

thanks

eric12341 01-01-2011 07:25 PM

Re: IR external port for TP2

probably not and usually peripherals like that are really expensive. you'd be better off buying a dell axim PDA or even an HP iPAQ

touch-this-pro 01-01-2011 08:33 PM

is it really? Whoaa never thought that a simple IR would be so much trouble.

maybe a wi-fi remote control? no?

boredandtattooed 01-01-2011 09:14 PM

For what?? you wanna control your TV with your phone?? ummmm, dont we already have remotes for that?

despite me thinking this is about the laziest thing people ask for(control TV from phone), the IR Ports from devices(Wiimote aside) are far to weak for this to be functional.. unless you wanna be 2ft away from your TV...

As far as peripherals, Id say no... the TP2 does not support USB Host functions.. ie - you cant plug a USB source into the TP2 and make it work... this is why keyboards, mouses, external monitors, etc dont work with the TP2.. the peripherals people DO use are usually BT.. BT keyboards, mouses, and Game Controllers have all been known to work I believe

*EDIT* nvm, i saw where it says it DOES support winMO 6.X..

touch-this-pro 01-02-2011 02:49 AM

well, it is not as simple as you put it.
The average home today has a DVR, a TV, a DVD, and an AV. this is 4 remotes right there ata minimum. so, do you see now, that a one remote might be better than 4?

I came across the Nuvii and I was like this is a great idea since it is highly customizable to even include some other equipment that I have.

The HP iPAQ works perfectly from 10 feet away, so the signal is not that weak as you propose.

eric12341 01-02-2011 03:17 AM

some devices had stronger ones than others.

boredandtattooed 01-02-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touch-this-pro (Post 2028288)
well, it is not as simple as you put it.
The average home today has a DVR, a TV, a DVD, and an AV. this is 4 remotes right there ata minimum. so, do you see now, that a one remote might be better than 4?

I came across the Nuvii and I was like this is a great idea since it is highly customizable to even include some other equipment that I have.

The HP iPAQ works perfectly from 10 feet away, so the signal is not that weak as you propose.

yeah i meant to add when i added the 6.x comment that i saw they give a purposed range of a device on the website... my bad

and those Homes that have all that, especially a DVR/Cable combo, gets a Remote more than capable of hooking the stereo and DVD PLayer to as well... Comcast and At&Ts remote are both programmable I thought...

regardless, theres not a USB IR Port you can hook to your TP2 up to..

kaos 01-02-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2028099)
For what?? you wanna control your TV with your phone?? ummmm, dont we already have remotes for that?

despite me thinking this is about the laziest thing people ask for(control TV from phone), the IR Ports from devices(Wiimote aside) are far to weak for this to be functional.. unless you wanna be 2ft away from your TV...

As far as peripherals, Id say no... the TP2 does not support USB Host functions.. ie - you cant plug a USB source into the TP2 and make it work... this is why keyboards, mouses, external monitors, etc dont work with the TP2.. the peripherals people DO use are usually BT.. BT keyboards, mouses, and Game Controllers have all been known to work I believe

*EDIT* nvm, i saw where it says it DOES support winMO 6.X..

not to sound contradicting. but it is as simply as they say. buy a logitech remote. i have xbox360, cable box, tv surround sound with dvd,blu ray, air conditioner,as well as lighting all on one remote.it does everything the factory remotes do. every single command. plus alot more. logitech rocks.

touch-this-pro 01-02-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaos (Post 2028373)
not to sound contradicting. but it is as simply as they say. buy a logitech remote. i have xbox360, cable box, tv surround sound with dvd,blu ray, air conditioner,as well as lighting all on one remote.it does everything the factory remotes do. every single command. plus alot more. logitech rocks.

i think that may be the best next thing.

Which one you recommend? (can not afford the harmony one lol).

mikejones13 01-03-2011 06:28 PM

lol or you can always go out and buy the old palm treo IE Treo 755, 750 650 and 600 they all come with infrared ports on them. Back in the day when I was rockin the TREO's I used novii all the time. It was SUPER simple to setup all the remotes, lol. And looking at the local craigslist they price from $10 to $57 lol

Just throwing that out there :D