PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

kwatcha is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone overclocked their TP2

Just like to know if anyone has overclocked their TP2 and what their experiences has been with the increase in speed and if it is worth it or is it a risk that coulkd damage the unit.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

killerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to killerkhatiby009
Re: Anyone overclocked their TP2

There are a few threads about this already, but in my testing there have been no negative effects at all and the speed isnt blow your mind different but its still slightly noticeable and definitely worth it as there are pretty much no down sides. Just play around with the speeds at first and slowly push your way up to the max speed your device allows (each is different; mine is 748MHz) and run it at that level and you should be perfectly stable, as I am. I am using setcpuspeed as my overclocking tool all though there is a new one which I havent tried yet but people are getting good results
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

I also overclock to the 748 mhz as well. I've found the dynamic overclocking to be a bit more unstable, so I just run it at 748 mhz all the time. I used to think it would save battery, but these overclocking apps don't adjust voltage to the cpu. In the end, it seems to use the same amount of battery as using stock 528 mhz.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I've overclocked my TP2 and it made a notable improvement on playing back a video and some other things.

I have a high bit rate video on my flash card(a kids video to keep my little girl happy) playing back with media player will cause it to studder and be choppy (almost unwatchable), after overclocking to 756mhz or 806mhz, the video will play back perfect, no sudder or choppyness.

Other times with some HD games designed for the HD2, I can get a semi-ok running game running pretty good with overclocking.

If you think you'll over clock and your phone will become a HD2 (1ghz CPU about same size screen), it's not going to happen but, if there is a app that just runs a little too slow, it will help. It will even help the OS speed but, very little.

DOn't be greedy with speeds, with the good there is some bad, if you over do it too much, you'll notice more lockups, just lower the speed and test, there is a happy medium.

I posted in the overclocking thread about my settings, it did help...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...-settings.html

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 12-22-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Added a link with OC info...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

i dont really use it in stock 6.1 unless im visiting graphics intensive sites or watching youtube vids in IE. avoid the new OC program that was just released and talked about in this thread on the next page. that one borked my power button 9screen wouldnt shut off/reverse SOD) and costed me a soft reset and an uninstall of the program of course. and i wouldnt recommend overclocking higher than the 720s.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

jamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamio88 Send a message via Yahoo to jamio88

I also have mine OC'ed to 748. So far I have had no issues with the device being overclocked, and actually I have noticed it seems to have cleaned up the choppiness of Morphgear while running SNES games.

I would say Overclocking the TP2 is a dream come true.
Kernel: #Mean-v0.5.1728
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
I've overclocked my TP2 and it made a notable improvement on playing back a video and some other things.

I have a high bit rate video on my flash card(a kids video to keep my little girl happy) playing back with media player will cause it to studder and be choppy (almost unwatchable), after overclocking to 756mhz or 806mhz, the video will play back perfect, no sudder or choppyness.

Other times with some HD games designed for the HD2, I can get a semi-ok running game running pretty good with overclocking.

If you think you'll over clock and your phone will become a HD2 (1ghz CPU about same size screen), it's not going to happen but, if there is a app that just runs a little too slow, it will help. It will even help the OS speed but, very little.

DOn't be greedy with speeds, with the good there is some bad, if you over do it too much, you'll notice more lockups, just lower the speed and test, there is a happy medium.

I posted in the overclocking thread about my settings, it did help...
The TP2 and HD2 have a SIGNIFICANT screen size difference, and as you mention, the QSD 1ghz chip cannot even be compared to weak one they chose to use in the TP2 (528mhz).

I have heard good things about using O/C on the TP2, hell, I even O/C my HD2 sometimes when playing like Final Fantasy 8 for instance at times.

Just try it out and see how well your device performs.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Remember folks, always use the Search button before the New Topic button.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
Remember folks, always use the Search button before the New Topic button.
+1 on your post count.

Ok... So I just tried WiMoSpeed and overclocked my TP2 but I see no major difference in preformance or otherwise.
Then it seems as though the overclocking is only good through your next soft reset. So I'll be trying a different cab.
p.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatcha View Post
Just like to know if anyone has overclocked their TP2 and what their experiences has been with the increase in speed and if it is worth it or is it a risk that coulkd damage the unit.

Thanks
See the link in my sig line for one of the discussions about overclocking. It's primarily geared towards users that are running the custom NRG ROM but links to most of the other overclocking threads.

In a nutshell, overclocking is working great on my TP2. One of the benefits is that my battery life has improved. Downloads seem faster and it really improves the overall experience with minimal risk.

Its pretty easy to do as long as you follow the instructions in teh threads linked in my sig line.

One last peice of advice; you really should get a fast storage card such as a class 6 card. I can really tell a difference when I switch between my cards - a class II and a class VI - in how my phone functions when it is overclocked. The faster SD card makes a very noticable difference.

Welcome to the world of overclocking.

David
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2