PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   [TWEAK] Gain Up To 20MB Of Ram With This Cab (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132721)

puff601 08-31-2010 05:11 PM

[TWEAK] Gain Up To 20MB Of Ram With This Cab

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Im always looking for ways to free up RAM and program memory on my tp2. i stumbled across a way to free up to 20mb of RAM by disabling PreLoadRes.exe.

What is PreLoadRes.exe and what does it do?
PreLoadRes.exe stands for Preload Resources. This exe loads up to 20mb of files at startup so that certain apps load faster. This PreLoadRes.exe doesnt seem to make anything load any faster, and we all know we could use the extra 20mb of free ram. This tweak has also been used in custom roms such as Mighty Mike and NRG's roms. Disabling PreLoadRes.exe has had no negative effects on my Sprint tp2 on stock 6.5 rom. There is a cab file attached, thanks to dunebuggydude11 for making the cab. This is fully uninstallable if you decide you no longer want to use it. All the cab file does is remove the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\BootLauncher\Apps\P reLoadRes]

This stops PreLoadRes.exe from loading :headbang:

ENJOY!

Miami_Son 08-31-2010 05:13 PM

Re: [tweak] save 20mb of ram with this simple tweak

What does this key actually do that causes it to use that much memory? What does changing it turn off?

n2wishin 08-31-2010 05:27 PM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-624506.html

another related thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105994

ooxteme 08-31-2010 05:27 PM

would also like to know this. something useing that much sounds like a lil important

puff601 08-31-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miami_Son (Post 1930542)
What does this key actually do that causes it to use that much memory? What does changing it turn off?

do you remember the resproxy tweak for wm 6.1? well it doesnt work for wm 6.5. it seems that 6.5+ uses preloadres.exe instead of resproxy like the older roms. From my understanding, it preloads stuff at startup. maybe someone else can give more info. im about to google a little more and see what i can find.

ooxteme 08-31-2010 05:58 PM

any neg. reactions on your phone after doing this?

gmfeny 08-31-2010 05:59 PM

tried this on mighty's rom but it wasnt there... mike prolly already caught that and got rid of it... thanks given tho.

puff601 08-31-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooxteme (Post 1930600)
any neg. reactions on your phone after doing this?

no i havent noticed and negative affects after doing this and ive been using the tweak since early this morning.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmfeny (Post 1930601)
tried this on mighty's rom but it wasnt there... mike prolly already caught that and got rid of it... thanks given tho.

yea mighty mike probably cooked this tweak into his roms already. from what ive read, many custom roms already use this tweak. i made a reg backup of the preloadres key, but have no idea where my phone saved it. i will post it when i find it so that this tweak is fully reversible

im pretty sure if mightymike precooked this into his rom, its a good tweak :)

one80oneday 08-31-2010 06:56 PM

Is there a cab for this?

puff601 08-31-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one80oneday (Post 1930686)
Is there a cab for this?

naah i dont have a cab but ill see if i can get someone to cab it up for me

stcardinal 08-31-2010 07:21 PM

What's a good reg editor?

Miami_Son 08-31-2010 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stcardinal (Post 1930718)

Her ya go.:mrgreen:

Miami_Son 08-31-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2wishin (Post 1930563)

From one of the posts in the first link: "For people have free memory concern, care only for how many % free ram, and willing to run the X1 slower. You can save 20mb of ram by removing: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\BootLauncher\Apps\P reLoadRes\Module=\\Windows\\PreLoadRes.exe

I'm not sure I'd see much benefit, then. I currently start up at about 54% with TF3D and speedwise the phone is acceptable. Don't do a lot of multi-tasking and when I do it still runs OK. I think NoPushInternet is probably the best mod you can do if speed is your goal.

ooxteme 08-31-2010 10:04 PM

not in NRG latest rom either

eric12341 08-31-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcardinal (Post 1930718)

you shoulda known that already being the owner of a dell axim x50v

creedo 08-31-2010 10:52 PM

Has anyone found that these magic fixes ever actually matter that much? I've read about the start menu fix, this one, the 4096 cache limits, the goodthings2life cab where 3 unnecessary services supposedly use up 20% of your free memory. Then there's the magic bullet regedit to give a huge boost to your internet speed. It seems like most of the time there's a catch and they aren't for real (the cache limit thing is better left at 0, auto-managed... the internet thing doesn't really increase total download speed, just number of connections to the same server)...

Can anyone say that they used one of these fixes and gotten results that made them say "Wow"?

Right now the single biggest fix for me: going from sprint stock to mightyrom. No idea which changes are cooked in that helped, but it's really obvious when I scroll a full block of 16 icons with transparency up and down. They go smoothly now, almost as smoothly as a fresh stock rom with only 3 quicklinks. On the stock rom they took a second to respond and scrolled jaggedly.

puff601 09-01-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miami_Son (Post 1930738)
From one of the posts in the first link: "For people have free memory concern, care only for how many % free ram, and willing to run the X1 slower. You can save 20mb of ram by removing: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\BootLauncher\Apps\P reLoadRes\Module=\\Windows\\PreLoadRes.exe

I'm not sure I'd see much benefit, then. I currently start up at about 54% with TF3D and speedwise the phone is acceptable. Don't do a lot of multi-tasking and when I do it still runs OK. I think NoPushInternet is probably the best mod you can do if speed is your goal.

i used to start up @ around 50, now i start up around 70 :salute: i dont think sprint 6.5 has push internet enabled... this reg edit doesnt seem to slow my tp2 either...
Quote:

Originally Posted by creedo (Post 1930931)
Has anyone found that these magic fixes ever actually matter that much? I've read about the start menu fix, this one, the 4096 cache limits, the goodthings2life cab where 3 unnecessary services supposedly use up 20% of your free memory. Then there's the magic bullet regedit to give a huge boost to your internet speed. It seems like most of the time there's a catch and they aren't for real (the cache limit thing is better left at 0, auto-managed... the internet thing doesn't really increase total download speed, just number of connections to the same server)...

Can anyone say that they used one of these fixes and gotten results that made them say "Wow"?

Right now the single biggest fix for me: going from sprint stock to mightyrom. No idea which changes are cooked in that helped, but it's really obvious when I scroll a full block of 16 icons with transparency up and down. They go smoothly now, almost as smoothly as a fresh stock rom with only 3 quicklinks. On the stock rom they took a second to respond and scrolled jaggedly.

i cant say that ive used those fixes besides the internet one... but this one does seem to work. give it a try. i am about to post a reg backup of the preloadres key on the first post or you can make a backup yourself. if a few people can confirm it works for them i will see if i can get someone to make a cab.

creedo 09-02-2010 10:04 PM

It was already gone in my mightyrom, I'm thinking of adding it manually to see if the phone goes slower lol :) I just wish someone could explain more clearly what it is, what it's doing, and what the possible drawbacks are. I guess they did mention running the X1 slower. What's the X1?

puff601 09-02-2010 10:30 PM

x1 is another wm device. it seems to be like a cache or something that preloads on startup. wish i had more info to offer, but i dont...

dunebuggydude11 09-03-2010 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a cab. Thanks for letting us all know about it!

puff601 09-03-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunebuggydude11 (Post 1933475)
Here's a cab. Thanks for letting us all know about it!

no problem man and thanks for the cab, ill attach it to the first post.

horndoctor 09-03-2010 04:10 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by creedo

WinMo has been around long enough that certain tweaks/fixes have been found to enhance performance. Some have run benchmarks to prove it. In my opinion, ROM Chefs use their experience as well as others to cook tweaks/fixes into their roms which obviously should show enhanced performance after you flash one of their roms. Sometimes tweaking, fixing, or omitting things can cause bugs. That's why some roms can be buggy. It comes down to trial and error and fixing and re-fixing. Have Fun! ;)

stcardinal 09-03-2010 06:31 PM

Are you running it with CHT? I'm on the stock sprint rom and I have cht running and it's pretty smooth.

puff601 09-03-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcardinal (Post 1934384)
Are you running it with CHT? I'm on the stock sprint rom and I have cht running and it's pretty smooth.

im on stock sprint 6.5 with CHT and Dinik's theme. i havent had any issues @ all. how long have you been using it?

ctiger 09-04-2010 02:53 AM

Re: [TWEAK] Gain Up To 20MB Of Ram With This Cab

Interesting, why I have problem with CHT? I'm on stock sprint 6.5 too, and if I reply the txt msg by tap the msg, enter the HTC contact/msg tab, and then wait for timeout or sleep button, it will SOD. Do you have this problem or you don't reply txt the way I do?

puff601 09-04-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctiger (Post 1934792)
Interesting, why I have problem with CHT? I'm on stock sprint 6.5 too, and if I reply the txt msg by tap the msg, enter the HTC contact/msg tab, and then wait for timeout or sleep button, it will SOD. Do you have this problem or you don't reply txt the way I do?

naah i cant say ive ran into this issue. i use the htc messaging client 1.5.2016. have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling cht?

puff601 09-08-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctiger (Post 1934792)

hey i did a hard reset and didnt install the newer htc messaging. i dont have a problem texting at all. ive texted all morning using the wm messaging and the htc messaging (msg tab) flawlessly... do you have alot of text messages? like 100s?

ive been using this tweak for about a week now with no issues. can anyone else confirm they have used the tweak and notice a benefit from this with no issues?

SMF_12 09-09-2010 05:01 PM

i just installed this on my touch pro 2 and did a sift reset, but it doesnt seem to be using less memory. and i am on stock uk vodafone rom.

puff601 09-09-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMF_12 (Post 1939743)
i just installed this on my touch pro 2 and did a sift reset, but it doesnt seem to be using less memory. and i am on stock uk vodafone rom.

hmm. maybe the registry key is located in a different location. uninstall the cab and see if your registry has the PreLoadRes key in the same location as stated on th first post.

ctiger 09-10-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff601 (Post 1938693)
hey i did a hard reset and didnt install the newer htc messaging. i dont have a problem texting at all. ive texted all morning using the wm messaging and the htc messaging (msg tab) flawlessly... do you have alot of text messages? like 100s?

ive been using this tweak for about a week now with no issues. can anyone else confirm they have used the tweak and notice a benefit from this with no issues?

I narrowed down the problem to this: if I turn on the CHT lock screen, and the lock on standby, then, if I stay in HTC messaging, let it timeout or push power button to sleep, I won't be able to wakeup at all, for sure. And I tried different platform (touch diamond and tp2) and different system, 6.5 and 6.5.5, all have the exact problem. It's not related to your tweak at all,:oops: sorry to mention it here. I went to co0kie's tread, asked this question and the suggestion is to disable the CHT lock screen.

puff601 09-10-2010 07:52 PM

aahh ok. well i was having the same issue off and on for a while. mine would go to sleep and not wake up even after a fresh hard reset with nothing installed... even on the first boot, i was waitin for wm to load, and i got a sod lol. i eventually got kind of frustrated so i pressed n held the power button pretty hard and i havent gotten a sod in a few days now... so i think its my tp2, ive had it since january, im sending it in for a replacement asap.