PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Replacing the Touch Screen Digitizer (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132377)

smitty7002 08-26-2010 08:37 PM

Replacing the Touch Screen Digitizer

Well i have a big crack across the front of my screen, and i need to find a replacement to fix it but im not exactly sure WHICH one i should get.

i first need to find out what model number my phone is..which is what SKU it is. T7373, T7380 etc. How would i find this? im asking because all the ebay digitizers i see have different versions, though most are T7373..but you will see some T7878 etc.

some basic information about my phone includes..
Verizon Wireless Touch Pro2 Bought in April, 2010
Qualcomm 7600 CPU
288MB RAM
Model No. RHOD500

im guessing that it is indeed a T7373 so i might just order this digitizer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-AT-T-HTC-Touc...item230987432c

it does say that it's only compatible with AT&T TP2 (GSM Only) so i'd rather ask before i buy.

gonna follow these few guides to get it open, and i should be good to go.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87533
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92100
http://pocketnow.com/hardware-1/htc-...raining-videos

it's also to my understanding that to fix the screen, i will need...

1. Screen Digitizer *uknown model, likely T7373?)
  2. T5 Torx Screwdriver
  3. Plastic Pry Tool
  4. "Kapton Tape" (to replace the ones you remove while dissembling near the keyboard and behind the front portion of the device)
  5. Tweezers (to remove "conductive fabric sponge" and "metal pad")
  6. Hair Dryer (to heat the glue so the Digitizer can be removed from the screen smoothly)

kaos 08-26-2010 09:19 PM

Re: Replacing the Touch Screen Digitizer

and a blow dryer. the screen is glued to the digitizer.

smitty7002 08-26-2010 11:45 PM

ahh yes, i still gotta maybe look around for a video of how to properly remove that screen cuz i dont want to damage anything. i might just resort to asking someone to do it for me, a professional for 20-30bucks hopefully (i'll provide the screen to him).

HellRayzer 08-27-2010 12:34 PM

A repair store will charge you more than the phone is worth...cheapest quote i got was $125. Mine is just scratched...so i chose to deal with it. There are how to's to do it...try search and good luck.

austin420 08-27-2010 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
supposedly, here is a cdma version of the tp2 digitizer with sprint logo. the main diff. is no camera hole on the screen.
https://www.gounlock.com/details.php?itemId=3685
also, here is a word doc with detailed phontos of tp2 dissassembly.
i dont remeber where i got it, but props.

Gorby 08-27-2010 12:56 PM

Definitely not an easy DIY task I tell you. I bought a broken TP2 for parts from eBay because I wanted to figure out why my TP2 does not alight perfectly when closed and I took the whole top section apart, including taking the LCD off the digitizer and cracking the LCD in the process. I am pretty good hands-on and I watched all the guides before, but after seeing how fragile this thing is I would not attempt to do it on my working TP2. I am glad I had a practice run on the broken one. I did figure out the problem with alignment though and it is fixable but not worth the risk to me.

By the way, if you want to practice too it would cost you 25 bucks since the guy is still selling them, search for "HTC Touch Pro2 (Sprint) Cell Phone For Parts >No Brain" on the bay. Much cheaper then breaking the real thing if you ask me. Disclaimer: I have no relation to the seller, just providing the info that I hope will help.

smitty7002 08-27-2010 06:11 PM

^yes ive actually considered this, and im not gonna lie. especially when separating the digitizer & lcd..i most likely will break the whole dam thing. ugh so hard...and i bet down here in Charleston, South Carolina no one will be able to fix it for a reasonable price (<$100). i guess i might be stuck with this screen unless i can be sure about dissembling AND reassembling it. but it's still good to know, is the SKU version of each phone different only in how they have cameras or not? because my phone doesn't have a camera, but nor does this one. so i didn't know if maybe something in the digitizer chip is different. still not sure what model i have lol.

matchstickredgti 08-27-2010 06:45 PM

Go to your settings tab in sense>about phone>phone identity, it should show you on that screen. or if you're not using sense, start>settings>system>device information>phone identity.

hope this helps.

smitty7002 08-28-2010 01:00 PM

all i get by doing that is RHOD500, which i already listed above. not sure what prefix+4 digit number my version is though. if i search RHOD500 on PDAdb.net, i dont see any RHOD500..though i see Rhodium W, Rhodium 210, Rhodium 300. im guessing that mine is

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i..._htc_rhodium_w

meaning that i can't get a T7373 and have to find XV6875?

austin420 08-28-2010 01:22 PM

the one i linked to earlier specifically says its for model xv6875 or model 7380
thats the verizon and sprint version respectivly. t7373 is specificlly the european model and possibly the att model. most of them will have the hole for the front camera. i dont think it really makes a difference and they will all fit. they all just have different branding. even the euro model should fit, it will just have a spot for a front facing camera.

fvultee 08-28-2010 08:58 PM

Everyone is talking about the "digitizer", but as I'm not that familiar and that link doesn't have any pictures, does replacing the "digitizer" also include the glass on the front? My touchscreen works perfectly, however the glass that covers it is shattered. I just want to replace the glass, is this the same part that I need as well?

Regards.

HellRayzer 08-29-2010 06:33 PM

I have a question. If I buy a digitizer and lcd already together off ebay would it make changing it much easier since you dont have to try and pull them apart?? I have found several on ebay with the bezel and everything, just a thought.

smitty7002 09-02-2010 09:16 PM

^that's an interesting point, it would make replacing it easier, though more expensive. not sure how much LCDs cost but im guessing around 50 to 100 bucks + 15bucks for the digitizer.

iredline5 09-04-2010 12:35 AM

I just replaced the digitizer on a TP2, it was one of the hardest screen replacement I have done on a phone. You basically have to take the whole thing apart, one of the hardest part is the last part where the LCD and digitizer needs to come apart from each other. If your not careful you will break the LCD, use a heat gun. I dont recommend doing this unless your are familiar taking small electronics apart.

Here are two places I used for reference to take apart.
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4csh9CdZA

I would recommend finding whole LCD/housing with keyboard, they come up on ebay once in a while for about 80.00, with this you would only need to take a few screws apart.

veedubguru 09-04-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty7002 (Post 1933258)
^that's an interesting point, it would make replacing it easier, though more expensive. not sure how much LCDs cost but im guessing around 50 to 100 bucks + 15bucks for the digitizer.

Just did this on my Sprint TP2. Found the digitizer on eBay (the Sprint logo one) for less than $20. Also bought the stock HTC housing ($28 on eBay). When trying to replace the digitzer, sure enough I broke the LCD. I was being careful, but it's just too fragile.

So I bought the cheapest LCD on ebay (around $27), and it worked fine. There are some actual HTC factory LCDs for $47 on ebay, but I already dumped more money on this project than I wanted to.

Got the new LCD in, just had to transfer the black double sided sticky that holds it to the digitizer. Took it off with a razor blade to transfer. The only downside to the super cheap LCD is the contrast isn't quite as crisp as the factory one was, but the resolution is spot on. Hoping the contrast improves with break in time. Heat over time fixed the last LCD I had that issue with on another device.

HellRayzer 09-15-2010 04:59 PM

Been chatting with a seller on ebay about maybe selling a package deal with the Verizon logo digitizer and an lcd. I recently purchased the HTC logo one from him...had no idea he had the Verizon one. I sent him a question asking if the lcd has the adhesive on it already or if he would attach them for me so all i had to do was install on phone with minimal worries..
Will keep you informed. By the way, did you get yours taken care of.

fvultee 09-15-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRayzer (Post 1945753)
Been chatting with a seller on ebay about maybe selling a package deal with the Verizon logo digitizer and an lcd. I recently purchased the HTC logo one from him...had no idea he had the Verizon one. I sent him a question asking if the lcd has the adhesive on it already or if he would attach them for me so all i had to do was install on phone with minimal worries..
Will keep you informed. By the way, did you get yours taken care of.

I did get it taken care of, i.e. I'm now the owner of a Droid X. :)

HellRayzer 09-20-2010 12:41 PM

Well after no luck fixing it..(went from bad to worse)...i also just bought a new droid x. Verizon made me an offer i couldn't pass up. Good luck to everyone with the TP2.

smitty7002 01-15-2011 05:24 PM

hey guys...seems like im back and now i definitely need to get this replaced!
http://c.imagehost.org/0039/TP2_Screen_1.jpg
^observe...not good!

I was looking around eBay and i re-read this thread...austin420 was saying that i should use the XV6875 module digitizer, but i can't really find a good LCD+digitizer module for my verizon model.

In my case, im thinking i should just order this eBay package... any thoughts? it's AT&T GSM T7373 module (i believe..), but a screen is a screen so it should work regardlessly on my XV6875..Would i also need to buy this housing just to make the whole thing a lil easier? (i know i wont need to pry the glued lcd+digitizer if i buy the above linked package).

thanks so much, hope to get this screen fixed soon :)

horndoctor 01-17-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty7002 (Post 2037322)
hey guys...seems like im back and now i definitely need to get this replaced!
http://c.imagehost.org/0039/TP2_Screen_1.jpg
^observe...not good!

I was looking around eBay and i re-read this thread...austin420 was saying that i should use the XV6875 module digitizer, but i can't really find a good LCD+digitizer module for my verizon model.

In my case, im thinking i should just order this eBay package... any thoughts? it's AT&T GSM T7373 module (i believe..), but a screen is a screen so it should work regardlessly on my XV6875..Would i also need to buy this housing just to make the whole thing a lil easier? (i know i wont need to pry the glued lcd+digitizer if i buy the above linked package).

thanks so much, hope to get this screen fixed soon :)

This or something similar should work:

HTC Touch Pro 2 Tilt 2 Rhodium Lcd with Digitizer touchpad :: LCD Screen :: HTC Spare Parts :: Gultek Limited

smitty7002 01-17-2011 06:46 PM

hmm, that's shipping from UK right? and it's about 34GBP = 54USD and that's if there's free overseas shipping...which i doubt there is. i would rather go through an american reseller (preferably) or ebay.

i really want someone to confirm if a LCD/Digitizer from say AT&T Tilt 2 (or...TP2 T7373) would work on a XV6875 model TP2. i would incline to believe so since...a screen is a screen and isn't any different between phones (except for the ones with a front facing camera).

in my case, if no one knows i guess i might take a chance and buy what i mentioned previously:

Quote:

Tybalt39 01-17-2011 07:54 PM

I believe the T7380 is the "World" phone version (CDMA/GSM) that both Verizon and Sprint use. Try searching eBay for that.

horndoctor 01-17-2011 09:57 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

The lcd and digitizer from any of the versions of the Rhodium should work but the ones with the hole for the front camera will just have a void there.

smitty7002 01-18-2011 02:24 AM

and exactly why i post is in hopes that people with 6789 reputation points will confirm things for me so i dont do something stupid..

smitty7002 03-03-2011 02:06 AM

quick question, what would be the best way of buying stuff off ebay in which they only accept paypal? ive seen a couple of these "ebay prepaid giftcards" and i'd like to avoid setting up my saving/checkings account with a paypal just to buy a couple of items for my phone.

thanks

smitty7002 04-28-2011 05:09 PM

bump to top, want to order this by the end of hte week..or if someone has a website that accepts debit cards