PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   File Sync Phone to Laptop Question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122204)

rbyham 05-23-2010 06:04 PM

File Sync Phone to Laptop Question

I have tons of work files on my laptop which get synched to a corp server a couple times a day. About 20 of these laptop files I also want to carry on my TP2. I know how to use activesync to get them from the laptop to the phone via the intermediary sync folder that sits on my laptop desktop. But when the contents of the orig files on the laptop changes, those changes are not reflected on my phone. Do I really have to manually move the orig files on the laptop to the intermeidairy sync folder (activestink) before they update content-wise to the phone on the next sync? I would have thought that AS would be able to check the file on the laptop, see that it has changed and sync the new one to the phone. Am I missing something or do I need another product? Thanks...

boredandtattooed 05-23-2010 06:13 PM

Re: File Sync Phone to Laptop Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbyham (Post 1769300)
I would have thought that AS would be able to check the file on the laptop, see that it has changed and sync the new one to the phone. Am I missing something or do I need another product? Thanks...

your expecting AS to update something on laptop to your phone, what, remotely?? over-the-air? AS doesnt work like that.. you can use AS via Bluetooth i belive.. but its not gonna work if you get more than 30ft away..

rbyham 05-23-2010 06:47 PM

I understand how As works. I now use both BT and USB - depends on the situaiton. Connecting and syncing is not the problem. The problem is when a file that is already set to sync is changed in terms of contents on th elaptop, why doesn't AS pick that up and sync the latest version? My testing indicates I have to manually drag and drop the edited file to the AS sync files folder on the laptop before it will send the latest version to the phone. I would have thought once the sync was set up on the laptop that AS would be smart enough to recognize a change and update the edited file to the phone. Sorry if I was unclear. It is complicated...

boredandtattooed 05-23-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbyham (Post 1769373)
I understand how As works. I now use both BT and USB - depends on the situaiton. Connecting and syncing is not the problem. The problem is when a file that is already set to sync is changed in terms of contents on th elaptop, why doesn't AS pick that up and sync the latest version? My testing indicates I have to manually drag and drop the edited file to the AS sync files folder on the laptop before it will send the latest version to the phone. I would have thought once the sync was set up on the laptop that AS would be smart enough to recognize a change and update the edited file to the phone. Sorry if I was unclear. It is complicated...

its not complicated at all.. your expectations of AS is just way to high.. AS isnt an exchange server..

nothing can be synced(file/content wise) without going through the desktop folder AS creates for your device.. there are BT options,even those still have to be transefered to the desktop folder.. they just get transferred to your phone via BT instead of hooking up USB.. the point being,everything goes tp the desktop folder first, no matter how your transferring after the fact..

rbyham 05-24-2010 02:47 PM

thanks all... yes I guess my expecations for AS are too high. I totally have it working and understand both the BT and the USB connection options. I understand the desktop folder thing too. I was just hoping that once you placed something in th edesktop folder that AS would take a look at what is in that folder, compare it to the orignial on laptop HD, see that there had been changes made and sync up the latest version. But I guess that is asking a lot. I guess I will just have to resort to remembering when I change a file to MANUALLY drag and drop the new version into the AS desktop folder. Oh well...we tried...

Wesley762 05-24-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbyham (Post 1771101)
thanks all... yes I guess my expecations for AS are too high. I totally have it working and understand both the BT and the USB connection options. I understand the desktop folder thing too. I was just hoping that once you placed something in th edesktop folder that AS would take a look at what is in that folder, compare it to the orignial on laptop HD, see that there had been changes made and sync up the latest version. But I guess that is asking a lot. I guess I will just have to resort to remembering when I change a file to MANUALLY drag and drop the new version into the AS desktop folder. Oh well...we tried...

Try taking a look at the link below, I think it might be exactly what your looking for.

http://www.pocketgear.com/en/usd/276...?M2DPId=100017