PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   future hacks for our phone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116230)

ajac 03-29-2010 05:03 PM

future hacks for our phone

We have windows 6.1 6.5. 6.5.3 6.5.5 and android when we gonna get someone out their to add in web o/s and winmobile 7 ? Just saw a video of a diamond with windows 7 mobile and got me thinking. I dunno if Id keep it but be fun to play with or be able to do with android run when I feel like it

HTCotta 03-29-2010 05:30 PM

Re: future hacks for our phone

The video of the Diamond running WP7S is just someone running the emulator with remote desktop. The only legitimate (appears to be anyway...) port happening now is on the HD2...in Russia.

Alpine- 03-29-2010 05:38 PM

Also realize that other OS may not run as well on TP2. The HD2 has much better specs.

WM 6x may be the last great WM OS that we as power users/modders are accustomed to. It allows total freedom/hackability/customization, etc. WM7 is going the way of Apple with a totally controlled, sandboxed OS in the name of "security". A lot of the things we do on 6x phones wont be doable on some of the new more locked down OS choices.

I say we focus on making 6.5.x and our TP2's and good as they can be for the time being with as many power user features as possible and GUI enhancements that don't sacrifice performance. Why bog down a good phone with WM7 when it isnt even finalized/bug free yet? Even Android on a WM phone has lots of issues. If you want the latest and greatest eye candy, go get a iPhone or something. We are seeing the death of WM as we know it now. The freedom we have with WM 6x is a thing of the past I'm afraid. Even jailbreaking an iphone has been stomped out with Apples latest firmware.

MordyT 03-29-2010 06:17 PM

Can't ever do WebOS... at least not publish it.

WebOS is not open source like Andorid. You will get sued.

I remember back in the day I used to be part of a site called aximusers which merged with mobility site...anyways, they didn't let talk of how to flash your axim with wm 6 on the site because technically, its illegal.

ajac 03-29-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MordyT (Post 1668271)

I remember back in the day I used to be part of a site called aximusers which merged with mobility site...anyways, they didn't let talk of how to flash your axim with wm 6 on the site because technically, its illegal.

well technically windows mobile isnt open source either lol so who do they fear more microsoft or palm and remember one of them maybe going bye bye in the next 12 months lol

MordyT 03-29-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajac (Post 1668279)
well technically windows mobile isnt open source either lol

Which is why you won't see WM on the Sprint EvO...

ajac 03-29-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MordyT (Post 1668291)
Which is why you won't see WM on the Sprint EvO...

well so far xda hasnt been able to get win mobile on android phones ( as far as I know anyway ) but be awesome if someone figures it out love an evo with win mobile 6.5.5 now that is orgasmic mmmm lol I dunno android good but I love my win mobile (pre win mobile 7)

nomi34 03-29-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MordyT (Post 1668271)

Most of WebOS is open source...its based on Linux...
http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html

nrfitchett4 03-29-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine- (Post 1668193)
Also realize that other OS may not run as well on TP2. The HD2 has much better specs.

WM 6x may be the last great WM OS that we as power users/modders are accustomed to. It allows total freedom/hackability/customization, etc. WM7 is going the way of Apple with a totally controlled, sandboxed OS in the name of "security". A lot of the things we do on 6x phones wont be doable on some of the new more locked down OS choices.

I say we focus on making 6.5.x and our TP2's and good as they can be for the time being with as many power user features as possible and GUI enhancements that don't sacrifice performance. Why bog down a good phone with WM7 when it isnt even finalized/bug free yet? Even Android on a WM phone has lots of issues. If you want the latest and greatest eye candy, go get a iPhone or something. We are seeing the death of WM as we know it now. The freedom we have with WM 6x is a thing of the past I'm afraid. Even jailbreaking an iphone has been stomped out with Apples latest firmware.

I can kindof see winmo's point of "locking down" the OS. A lot of the crap we put on our phones are the reason for the unresponsiveness and crashes. then winmo gets at least part of the blame for it.
I am not opposed to paying for my apps through an app store as long as they are reasonably priced. I would still like to have some UI customability and multitasking though.

kaos 03-29-2010 08:07 PM

android may run but is far from finished. when i can hear my phone ring it will be 100% lol.