PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My 16GB micro SDHC card died (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=111507)

nosmohtac 02-20-2010 04:15 PM

My 16GB micro SDHC card died

I've been using a 16GB Sandisk (class 2 I think) card for about a year. I used it in my touch pro and then in my TP2.
I missed a few calls yesterday and realized my phone was on my hip when the calls came in. When I got home I called my phone from my wife's phone and it wouldnt ring. I went to check the ringtone (which I had on the SD card) and file explorer wouldn't show the card.

I took the card out and put it in my laptop and it wouldn't recognize a card in my laptop either.

Has anyone ever revived one of these cards, and if so how did you accomplish this? The only thing that looked different from my 6gb card was the contacts were a little different color. I thought they might not be making contact so I rubbed them a little with a pencil eraser with no luck.

Now I wonder if I should go buy another 16 or just make due with the 6 until the 32's come out.

Dr.8820 02-20-2010 04:33 PM

Re: My 16GB micro SDHC card died

i had this happen with some sandisk 4 and 8gb cards. i bought them from ebay, but they would self-corrupt after awhile. the 16gb sandisk i have now came from best buy with a 5 year warranty!

idenkilla 02-20-2010 05:03 PM

Go to micro center they have them for 35 bux. I just got mine last week

i360 02-20-2010 05:50 PM

Have a funeral and move on, thanks for letting us know.

pesok 02-20-2010 09:27 PM

anyone know where (or when) we can buy the new Class10 16gb card? And since on this topic - where are the 32gb cards that were promised year ago?

frazell 02-20-2010 11:16 PM

That is why I only buy cards that have a lifetime warranty like Transcend... I'd prefer to be buying a new card when I feel the space is too small, not when it decides to die.

mtnbiker 02-21-2010 08:32 PM

I had a similar problem with a 16GB card (Sandisk). I was messing around with an app that copies the rom out and I managed to corrupt the partition. You might see if you can re-partition the card then format it. That worked for me. If you have data on it you want to keep, there are PC apps you can download that will allow you to recover files (even if the partition is messed up).

CovKid66 02-21-2010 08:52 PM

You can try this freeware software...I've had hit and miss results:

PC Inspector Smart Recovery 4.5

nosmohtac 02-21-2010 10:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to give both a try, but the card doesn't even show up on the phone or on my laptop. They both act as if there isn't even a card there.

My phone will make a beep when I insert the card, but it doesn't appear in file explorer.

They're much cheaper now than they were when I bought this one, and this one is still under warranty but I no longer have the receipt, so I'll just have to go buy another. Oh well.....

mtnbiker 02-21-2010 10:42 PM

Before you give up, try this. Insert the card into your pc (assuming Windows XP) and then right click on "My Computer", then "Manage". Then select "Disk Management". Take a look at the partition information for the disk. When I had this problem, neither my PC or my phone would recognize the disk. It had several "phantom" partitions on it. When I deleted all partitions and then recreated the primary partition, I was able to get it working again. Then you can format it.