PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   flash to stock (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107515)

iknight8 01-22-2010 10:54 AM

flash to stock

i just installed NRGZ Rom 21889 and it's kind of slowing down my phone so i was wondering in order to install another custom rom do i have to flash back to stock rom or just install the next custom rom?..

i have sprint tp2, so if i have to flash to stock, where do i get the stock rom from? Thanx

piedra92 01-22-2010 11:02 AM

Re: flash to stock

Here you go:

RUU_Rhodium_W_Sprint_WWE_1.21.651.3_RS_1.96WF_NV_S PCS_1.42_0430_PRL60652_Ship.exe

HTC_TP 01-22-2010 11:02 AM

It would be a good idea to flash to stock then onto the next custom rom, just to ensure you are "clean".

Stock ROMS: LINK

austin420 01-22-2010 11:04 AM

it may be myth. some people swear by flashin back to stock before flashin a new rom to get all the old bugs out from one rom to the next. i never do tho. i do always hard reset as soon as i flash tho. after the new rom is all loaded and set up i hard reset 1 time. that could be myth too tho.

iknight8 01-22-2010 11:04 AM

hey guys THANKS... i am about to do that right now.
becuz this rom is a bit too slow i have so i am trying to test out others!!!

THANX again :)

mathiass 01-22-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1508816)
it may be myth. some people swear by flashin back to stock before flashin a new rom to get all the old bugs out from one rom to the next. i never do tho. i do always hard reset as soon as i flash tho. after the new rom is all loaded and set up i hard reset 1 time. that could be myth too tho.

Flashing to stock, only to flash to a diff custom rom, seems to me like using a manufacturer's recovery disk for a computer then installing a newer version after a format of the hard drive. There's really no reason to install what came on the computer before installing a different OS, what's different here? I've never gotten a straight answer.

Surely the roms completely erase the old roms when they flash over (vs just installing over it)?

iknight8 01-22-2010 01:22 PM

i think installing a rom without first flashing it is like installing an upgrade of a pc OS... if u do a clean install its always best... keeps off the bugs and issues from the older OS :) thats how i see it

mathiass 01-22-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iknight8 (Post 1509113)
i think installing a rom without first flashing it is like installing an upgrade of a pc OS... if u do a clean install its always best... keeps off the bugs and issues from the older OS :) thats how i see it

That's a good analogy. Upgrades just override the last one, is that what roms do? I would hope and think that roms format the memory before installing, therefore providing a clean install everytime.

But when it comes to roms, aren't "flashing" and "installing" the same thing? Unless flashing is just the process of putting a new rom onto the device, then it being automatically installed after the flash..

bkrodgers 01-22-2010 08:59 PM

Flashing does overwrite everything. It should not, in theory, be necessary to flash back to stock first. However, many people, myself included, have found that it put an end to problems we were having with random freezes and even hard resets we didn't ask for. I don't think anyone quite knows why flashing to stock seems to do a better job of clearing things up, but if it works, why ask why?

I don't think you have to do it every time. I've flashed a dozen times since I did it last and haven't had any problems with the random hard resets since. But if you're having problems, or if a chef recommends you do it for a certain release (like Mighty did on one of his awhile ago), I'd say give it a shot.

freeza 01-22-2010 09:07 PM

Urban myth. Never once had a problem with flashing ROM after ROM without flashing back to stock. Afterall, stock is a ROM just like the customs.