PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Who's getting Nexus One? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104791)

1999TL 01-05-2010 10:54 PM

Re: Who's getting Nexus One?

It's taken me too long to learn all these regedits and to master Sashimi for me to give it all up. LOL. Flashing is a BREEZE now.

I need a kb. It allows me to text without looking while keeping both hands on the wheel still.

krohnjw 01-05-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1463013)
thanks, I'm not really familiar with the droids, I thought they all had 1ghz processors. I knew the resolution was lower but i didn't know the actual screen size was going to be different. I just like the winmo os better so i'm staying here for sure. I don't think anybody would leave tp2 for a droid because if someone wanted a droid they wouldve already had one, I doubt they were waiting for a faster processor to switch.

I may be in the minority then that I am waiting for a 1Ghz proc before giving it a shot (a HW keyboard would be a plus as well). No reason to sink another $300+ out of contract into a phone with identical HW specs (virtually) when 1Ghz is just around the corner.

Laos101 01-05-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmo1965 (Post 1462870)
What's so special about it compared to the other android phones? Besides VZW will figure out a way to cripple the device.

How is the TP2 crippled?

1999TL 01-05-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohnjw (Post 1463874)
I may be in the minority then that I am waiting for a 1Ghz proc before giving it a shot (a HW keyboard would be a plus as well). No reason to sink another $300+ out of contract into a phone with identical HW specs (virtually) when 1Ghz is just around the corner.

it does have a 1 ghz processor...

krohnjw 01-05-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1463879)
it does have a 1 ghz processor...

Yes, I know ;) Please see the quoted post where he was saying that people are not waiting for the 1 Ghz proc - if they wanted android they'd have purchased a hero or droid by now.

1999TL 01-05-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohnjw (Post 1463895)
Yes, I know ;) Please see the quoted post where he was saying that people are not waiting for the 1 Ghz proc - if they wanted android they'd have purchased a hero or droid by now.

ha. I fail at reading comprehension. Well I Took your post for face value. ooops. Won't be my last mistake.

p-slim 01-05-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohnjw (Post 1463895)

but then why do you have winmo? windows and android both just released 1ghz proc. So being as both phones don't have them then why do you have a winmo phone then? hd2 and nexus are coming with 1ghz so both os are getting the upgrade, without the upgrade if you want android for the os you should've already had one, thats what i was trying to say.

JokeZony0u 01-05-2010 11:08 PM

the saddest part of this is, the iPhone 3GS still loads the pages faster (when all devices are on a Wi-Fi network). Don't believe me? Look at engadget or pocketnow for comparisons

WisdomWolfX 01-05-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 1463872)
It's taken me too long to learn all these regedits and to master Sashimi for me to give it all up. LOL. Flashing is a BREEZE now.

I need a kb. It allows me to text without looking while keeping both hands on the wheel still.

Yes, exactly. Wait...what? WTF are you texting with if both hands are on the wheel?

rorytmeadows 01-05-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1463914)
Yes, exactly. Wait...what? WTF are you texting with if both hands are on the wheel?

hahaha

WisdomWolfX 01-05-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokeZony0u (Post 1463911)
the saddest part of this is, the iPhone 3GS still loads the pages faster (when all devices are on a Wi-Fi network). Don't believe me? Look at engadget or pocketnow for comparisons

Who cares if it loads them faster if the browser doesn't work as well in general? I absolutely HATE that argument. I can't stand that if you zoom in to the point that you can actually read something it doesn't wrap the text. I guess you could always try a different browser on the iphone...oh wait, no you cant. :violent1:

rushco 01-05-2010 11:18 PM

You don't need to use your thumbs any more to enter text. Everything is voice enabled. Just talk and it appears and send your text message. Who needs a keyboard or onscreen keyboard any more.

ppcgpirate 01-05-2010 11:20 PM

why is verizon getting this instead of sprint? they just got the Droid. sprint fail...sigh.

krohnjw 01-05-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1463908)
but then why do you have winmo? windows and android both just released 1ghz proc. So being as both phones don't have them then why do you have a winmo phone then?

I have windows mobile because up until this point there's really been no other option from a business perspective. Push email from exchange and a true RDP client are *requirements* for me along with tethering.

Sprint does not offer any tethering with the Hero and Verizon does not offer it with the Droid phones (although that is due to change). PDANet offers a solution, but for business use I'll pay the carrier for a 100% working solution. Exchange support on the HTC devices was good - the droid seems to be fine (although not all SSL configurations currently work with it).

I have no beef in general with Windows Mobile other than it's been quite poorly designed from a memory management perspective for a mobile/embedded device for years. They tried to take a step forward with 6.5's memory manager and hopefully 7 will continue to improve on this. I've used it because it's been the only option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1463908)
hd2 and nexus are coming with 1ghz so both os are getting the upgrade, without the upgrade if you want android for the os you should've already had one, thats what i was trying to say.

While I vaguely get your point it still makes no sense to purchase identical hardware when in a matter of months you will be able to get a 1 Ghz processor (a large step up from 528 or 550 Mhz). The Hero/Eris from a "specs" standpoint is a larege step down from the TP2 in screen and a push on the chipset. (I have no plans to buy a Motorola device personally).

While Android as an OS is intriguing from a developer standpoint I am not about to purchase 2 phones out of pocket when I can wait 4 months and get something that will run better and offer more flexibility in the future. To pay $350+ for a phone as a novelty just doesn't make enough sense for me to do so when I can take that same money and apply it to a device with much better specifications in such a small amount of time.

When the 1 Ghz devices roll onto CDMA from HTC (Here's hoping for the Bravo/Passion) then I will plunk down my money for a device that should serve me well for some time. If Android isn't up to snuff from a business perspective then it's back within the 30 days and back to Windows Mobile.

Mr.KLeen 01-06-2010 12:14 AM

droid is over rated like the iphone now

JokeZony0u 01-06-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1463928)
Who cares if it loads them faster if the browser doesn't work as well in general? I absolutely HATE that argument. I can't stand that if you zoom in to the point that you can actually read something it doesn't wrap the text. I guess you could always try a different browser on the iphone...oh wait, no you cant. :violent1:

Haha, cool off my brotha, don't forget I'm still a WinMo person. Just saying..it's a bit sad and btw it zooms pretty well (I use an old iPhone as my iPod hehe) BUT I don't want to argue because I'm still WinMo all the way!

WisdomWolfX 01-06-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokeZony0u (Post 1464075)
Haha, cool off my brotha, don't forget I'm still a WinMo person. Just saying..it's a bit sad and btw it zooms pretty well (I use an old iPhone as my iPod hehe) BUT I don't want to argue because I'm still WinMo all the way!

Sorry, the guy with the hammer was not directed at you, but the crappy iphone browser. I have an ipod and it's great fun every now and then and my nieces love it, but I couldn't use it as my primary phone. I am looking towards Android because it seems to be where the devs are heading and it's open and geek friendly. I have been with WM for a long long time though and think I may just stick it out, at least until we see what WM7 brings and what Sprint's plans are for phone releases.

I can say that if Sprint had something like the Nexus with a keyboard out, I would have a hard time talking myself out of jumping off the WM camp, if only temporarily.

newone757 01-06-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1463928)

yes you can.

i dont know if the alternate browsers offer text wrap tho (probably still built on webkit). but still, you can use alternate browser :)

WisdomWolfX 01-06-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newone757 (Post 1464267)
yes you can.

i dont know if the alternate browsers offer text wrap tho (probably still built on webkit). but still, you can use alternate browser :)

I suppose this is true if you jailbreak, but I really doubt you are going to find a quality browser on Cydia. Although, I could be wrong since there are some really awesome apps there and the main reason that I wait to upgrade my ipod until jailbreak is updated.

newone757 01-06-2010 02:54 AM

yea i was just playing around with the zap (or zapper) browser which is a clone of the palm pree browser. that coupled withe awsome muiltitasking of proswitch (think palm p0re cards for the ipod/iphone) has had me using my touch for alot more than music lately

WisdomWolfX 01-06-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 1463938)
You don't need to use your thumbs any more to enter text. Everything is voice enabled. Just talk and it appears and send your text message. Who needs a keyboard or onscreen keyboard any more.

Well this sounds nice, but, if it's implemented anything like the transcription for google voice, I'd be afraid. Very afraid. Have you seen how some of the transcriptions end up even when the words are clear? Comical, really.

n2o302 01-06-2010 03:49 AM

So here is a question, if the TP2 uses a sim card for sprint and the nexus one is an open phone will pulling your sim card out and putting it in the nexus do you think it will work? Just a thought!

rushco 01-06-2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2o302 (Post 1464433)
So here is a question, if the TP2 uses a sim card for sprint and the nexus one is an open phone will pulling your sim card out and putting it in the nexus do you think it will work? Just a thought!

Sprint is CDMA. That means no SIM card. Now Nextel has a SIM card. So do GSM devices. Verizon is like Sprint and does not have a SIM card.

whetzel 01-06-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 1464445)
Sprint is CDMA. That means no SIM card. Now Nextel has a SIM card. So do GSM devices. Verizon is like Sprint and does not have a SIM card.

My Verizon Touch Pro 2 came with a SIM card.

ebmorgan 01-06-2010 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetzel (Post 1464448)
My Verizon Touch Pro 2 came with a SIM card.

That's so it can function as a "world phone" on foreign country's GSM networks. By default the radio is locked to not work on domestic GSM networks...but that's been "taken care of"...:D

ebmorgan 01-06-2010 04:21 AM

Well, I have to agree with some of the first posts....it's just a pimped out Hero. Still no keyboard. What are these people thinking. Can you imagine how much more popular the iPhone would be with a physical keyboard? It would rule the world. I don't know why HTC insists on making these insanley robust and complicated phones without keyboards. Makes no sense to me. I'm gonna wait for the glorious day when HTC makes an Android phone with a keyboard.

No Nexus One for me...

WisdomWolfX 01-06-2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebmorgan (Post 1464460)
Well, I have to agree with some of the first posts....it's just a pimped out Hero. Still no keyboard. What are these people thinking. Can you imagine how much more popular the iPhone would be with a physical keyboard? It would rule the world. I don't know why HTC insists on making these insanley robust and complicated phones without keyboards. Makes no sense to me. I'm gonna wait for the glorious day when HTC makes an Android phone with a keyboard.

No Nexus One for me...

As much as I love a keyboard and want one, I have to say that I understand why devices with a keyboard are popular. It's not just about the thinness (which is sexy), but about a more solid phone with fewer moving parts. As much as I love my keyboard it always annoys me that it gets loose and then the whole top screen portion clicks against the keyboard and sometimes end up at a bit of an angle adding hard edges to an otherwise sleek device.

I don't like the idea of using the on screen keyboard all the time, but it's easier with a capacitive screen and I would love the feel of a more solid device. I still don't think that I could give up my keyboard, but I do understand the reasons for abandoning it.

Mr.KLeen 01-06-2010 04:50 AM

just like the hd2 :D

lipidfats 01-06-2010 04:51 AM

i have a feeling i will have a winmo phone for a long time, unless winmo7 just epicly fails, but ive been waiting for an android device i could add to a 2nd line. whenn a 1ghz android phone comes out on sprint, i will be buying it. both platforms are so similar, there's good in both. It's like going out to buy a second car... chances are it's going to be a different make/model... doesn't mean one is bad.

anyone see the browser test video on engadget? painfully slow...

n2o302 01-06-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 1464445)

If you look inside your TP2 from sprint it does have a sim card in there, so it can operate as a world phone.

ajac 01-06-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2o302 (Post 1464699)
If you look inside your TP2 from sprint it does have a sim card in there, so it can operate as a world phone.

only becasue its a world phone and its locked for local use unless unlock it like I did. But sprint is CDMA and u cant use a sprint sim card in a local phone wont get no service unless u go over seas.

rdcrds 01-06-2010 11:12 AM

I can't believe these threads stay in here now.Did the mods up and leave the site? i mean it use to be run normal now it is like any other trash site where you can make posts about anything and it not get moved.

animez 01-06-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 1463938)

If it works as well as Google Voice's transcription of voicemails, I think I'll still be needing those thumbs. :thumbleft:

Edit: Doh, should have read all the way through the thread, WisdomWolfX said pretty much the same thing one page back. Oh well, great minds and such...

inferno14u 01-06-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1464368)
Well this sounds nice, but, if it's implemented anything like the transcription for google voice, I'd be afraid. Very afraid. Have you seen how some of the transcriptions end up even when the words are clear? Comical, really.

+1 And not to mention, I can understand voice command to open a program or call someone in my contact list, but if I'm going to use my voice to "write" a text, I might as well call them.

jmorton10 01-06-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX (Post 1464368)

My brother-in-law has a Droid & I was playing with it recently.

The transcription works pretty well, but even so it doesn't work well enough to totally eliminate the need for a KB........

One of the reasons he bought the Droid was that it does have a hardware KB.

~John

jmorton10 01-06-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno14u (Post 1464866)
if I'm going to use my voice to "write" a text, I might as well call them.

I agree with what you're saying 100%, but there are plenty of times I send my Son who is in College a text when I would not want to call him as I don't know if he is in class or not.

When he is off at school, we text all the time but I almost never call him (or I send him a text saying "call me when you get a minute").

~John

lallen3 01-07-2010 04:35 PM

sig updated.... way too good :tshirt:

dallastx 01-07-2010 04:54 PM

Well im a Nexus One owner as of tommorw..Will still keep my TP2 active, but i had to have a new toy..Win Mo no new apps, just getting boring around here....Everytime a new app comes out I get all excited to find out its for iphone and android...SO after hearing the specs i jumped on the wagon, but i will jump back off onto windows mobile if the dead starts walking again.

lallen3 01-07-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1468585)
Well im a Nexus One owner as of tommorw..Will still keep my TP2 active, but i had to have a new toy..Win Mo no new apps, just getting boring around here....Everytime a new app comes out I get all excited to find out its for iphone and android...SO after hearing the specs i jumped on the wagon, but i will jump back off onto windows mobile if the dead starts walking again.

Pardon my lack of research, but will the Nex1 work on your Sprint network? If not, I assume you have another carrier(?)...

dallastx 01-07-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lallen3 (Post 1468596)
Pardon my lack of research, but will the Nex1 work on your Sprint network? If not, I assume you have another carrier(?)...

http://www.google.com/phone Yes sir "mumbles Tmobile" But i will keep sprint as well, i will never leave sprint.