PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Verizon TP2 sure gets hot left connected to USB (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104476)

WBFAir 01-03-2010 02:04 PM

Verizon TP2 sure gets hot left connected to USB

Hello all

I've notice that if I leave my Verizon TP2 connected to the PC via the USB connector for a long time it will get really warm after a while once the battery is finally fully charged.

Its almost like what ever is recharging the battery in this mode is not shutting down once its fully charged.

So far I have not found this to be the case when its plugged into the wall charger.

Is this normal or may I have perhaps funked something up with all the registry add-ons I've installed.

Thanks

ChrisH09 01-03-2010 08:43 PM

Re: Verizon TP2 sure gets hot left connected to USB

The battery will get warm when charging...that is normal..if it gets super hot...it's not a good sign. Mine gets a little warm when I charge it by USB too...I'm on the stock rom with Google maps, facebook app and .net frameworks...so theres nothing to worry about.

WBFAir 01-03-2010 09:54 PM

Well I don't know about Li-Ion batteries for sure but I dealt with several other types such as Li-Po and Ni-Cad batteries in my RC-Helicopter hobby where people are dealing with $100 to $400 batteries powering thousand dollar machines so they don't mess around with pushing things and I can tell you that the general consensus is, when charging the batteries that they will charge fine till full an then start rising in temp and thats when you are supposed to disconnect them and if you don't this is a really good way to start causing some damage to the battery.

Again I don't know about these units but if there getting warm and even decently warm that you would notice

...this is not good.

TheBundo 01-07-2010 07:05 AM

Do you have any over or under-clocking utilities installed?

WBFAir 01-07-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1467399)
Do you have any over or under-clocking utilities installed?

No

Actually I was just wondering something on this as I saw a new thing the other day and this may be way out there but, but what I saw was a device that is basically a charging mat that allows you, with special battery though, to charge your device wirelessly by just laying you phone, or what ever, on the mat.

So again I know this is out there but I was just wondering as I seem to notice it gets hotter if I have it charging via that PC to USB connection, mostly when I lay it on my PC's case, which is a full size aluminum Lian Li.

Actually right now, I have sitting on my wooden desk, with the Seidio plastic case cover I got yesterday installed on it, and its full charged and still connected to the PC and its completely cool.

So perhaps there is something to this?

stevecn70 01-07-2010 11:56 AM

Is your screen on? when I'm connected to USB my screen stays on but dimmed. When on AC, the screen goes off.

WBFAir 01-07-2010 12:10 PM

Yeah at this point I have the screen on full bright if on AC as I often am working with the device when connected to the PC, but I do have it set to go off and for the device to go to sleep in 5 mins on AC too.

But now that you mention it that is a good point as while it will do that when charging on AC when just connected to the wall charged as there are no events happening, I have noticed, at least I think this is correct, that even with those settings, when hooked up to the PC it never goes off I guess do the fact that something is often happening being that it is in its Synced connection.

So with it charging and having the screen on full bright all the time and fully awake, could that cause it to get hotter then if the screen was off and the device was asleep and it was charging?

Would make sense.

stevecn70 01-07-2010 02:55 PM

The backlight of the screen will cause some warmth after a while but also electricity use so you will have a constant trickle charge going on when connected to USB.