PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: VzW

Okeif_ObD is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is SPB Backup worth $24.95? + general BU questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
[..snip..]
I've seen a lot of people recommend SPB Backup and it looks like a great program but to be honest $24.95 seems a little steep for a only do one thing program.

Heck for only $5.00 more I can get Mobile Shell and look how much that can do.

At any rate, so is this program really worth that much and especially in regards to it above others?
The question you should be asking is: How much is your data worth to you?

As SPB Backup Suite and Mobile Shell are two entirely different programs, with entirely different functionality, to me , there is no comparrison.

Quote:
[..snip..]
How is the support for SPB products? Does anyone know of any specific support boards for them?

I'd love to post the link, but since I'm a relatively new member I can't. so, try a google search of spbclub & forums.

Quote:
[..snip..] Basically and forgive me if this is not how any WM backup programs work but, I want a program that will do a complete back up of everything to my PC's hard drive in a single image type file that I can just do a hard reset to the device, install the backup program, hit one button and sit back and "everything" is restored just as it was when the back up was made. As well I would like to be able to amended that backup file with incremental backups, as I need too, so it doesn't take so long to do one.
SPB Backup can do everything up until the incremental and full-system file syncing. But I'm sure the first is a planned (future) feature and if not, at least suggested already, should be.

Quote:
[..snip..]Then as well I would also like to make a complete or partial copy of all the device's files that are all obtainable individually just as if I were looking at the devices with it's file explorer program so that I could have access to any file I need to and work with and/or restore as needed.
This would/will require a seperate program. I recommend SyncToy 2.1 by Microsoft. I've used it as a developer for nearly 5 years (since SyncToy1.0)

Again, newb status means no link. So google SyncToy.

Quote:
Well at this point I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think I will be flashing to many ROMS if any, personally the present factory Verizon ROM seems just fine for me although if they ever come out with any updates I'll probably install those but mostly I'll be using this device for work so I need it to be reliable so as its working fine I don't want to mess it up.
I once erred on the side of extreme caution, too, because my phone is also primarily for work. But, and no BS here, since I started using SPB backup a few years ago I feel my data is always a touch away--and it's come to that a time or two.

Let me add, too, that there is an oft overlooked feature of SPB Backup suite, and that is: if the program is installed to the storage card then the user never needs to reinstall the program (of course, they can if they want, or don't know how to create a custom link/shortcut) again. Specifically, SPB BU, once installed on a storage card will remain in a 'program files' root folder which can be accessed no matter what state you phone is in(save for bricked, but still accessible in other devices the storage card finds itself); which makes backing up test ROMS, restoring corrupted ROMs, or recovering from 'catastrophic failures' really, REALLY, easy.

But, for $24.95, if your data isn't worth that much too you, then Microsoft MyPhone or some other, free Backup method (PIMbackup ?) may suffice.

As for an 'all-in-one solution' with all the features you listed, I don't think there is one, and I can't see the absolute need for one as some of the features you listed are non-dependent on others, in some cases may cause the user more problems, and almost certainly creates more user error; not too mention that the price of such a feature-packed program would get questioned in future forum posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TL View Post
Smart. Real smart, microsoft.
Since MS is no longer developing ActiveSync, and has instead switched development to WMDC, and this sync functionality has changed, I'd say they fixed the problem--wouldn't you?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Yes, they fixed the problem...I'm sure glad. Like I said in that post, he reminded me of a horror story. WMDC works for me. I haven't run into a problem yet.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
It means do not sync a newly hard reset phone with activesync. You've just reminded me of a horror story. For some reason in activesync, the computer will think that the newly hard reset device is "updated" info, and it will begin to delete all of your contacts. LOL. Smart. Real smart, microsoft.
Yeah I would assume something like that, actually I would think the same for anything you have checked in
ActiveSync. Although you do have the option to have the PC overwrite the device. But its not fun to take the chance. But still I would think the issue is that if something is different from anything that ActiveSnyc 1st put on your device, when SPB then writes to it, SPB could erase it with some sort of other version or cause a conflict if it somehow corrupts a cab file or something.

Tell me 1999TL, do you know if SPB setups some kind of its own conduit or Sync connection or does it use ActiveSync.

In other words, as I do have a program that will shut ActiveSync down but if ActiveSync isn't running can SPB still do all its is supposed to do?

Quote:
Best bet is to export your contacts and such to have a file(since you like backups and all . Double insurance is to use pimbackup to backup the contacts on the phone to the storage card. Then, once you hard reset, you want to run the backup b4 syncing to the computer. I believe SPB is trying to save you from losing all your contacts.

Hope that helps.
Yeah I remember back in the W3.1 & 95 days when I had less responsibility's and more time, I used go though every program I had on my 6 gig hard drive and figure out what stuff I wanted and didn't want and even had this whole rebuild procedure written down in a book.

And while this device is kinda a return to that in size, to be hoist I really don't have the time to do that so the only practical solution is to just get something that will take everything, then upon a rebuild, I get the most important stuff going till its usable, then add the little other stuff as I go over the course of a month or two.

Actually this is where the individual file copy thing comes in really handy as I can just work on one program at a time and run over to that backup and grab what I need, neat and clean, till I get whatever I'm working on done.

Any btw no need to hope as you are being a very large help.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

CurtisZZZ is a n00b

I've spent far too many dollars on SPB products only to see them rendered useless by the "next" thing...

SPB PocketPlus, Diary, Weather, Time and Phonesuite ALL rendered virtually useless by Mobile Shell

Mobile Shell now has major problems with my TP2

I've also bought a few other games that I haven't touched in forever.

What I'm saying is SPB has a TON of my money I wish I had back, but there is ONE program I would gladly pay for again...

SPB Backup.

It has been without a doubt the best purchase I've made in the last 5 years worth of smartphones.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung EPIC 4G
Carrier: WIMAX 4G

popularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to popularbelief420 Send a message via Yahoo to popularbelief420

I been using SPB Backup for the last 4 HTC Devices. It's Quick, Easy, and best of all... works. You can even use it on a "Cold Device" (non activated). You cannot use mSoft Sync on a cold device. I hate relying on the network to perform my backups. I flash every time Juicy releases a ROM. I only backup my contacts but let's say I have to wipe while using the same ROM it restores all my setting really well.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeif_ObD View Post
The question you should be asking is: How much is your data worth to you?
Well Okeif, I appreciate the very helpful advice here and I'm sorry if this comes off rude but see, I'm one of those old fashion guys who looks more at what something itself is worth and feel that is what I should pay for it then a, hey, whats it worth to you kind of thing.

See I want to pay for what I get and if most other programs I see that have all the same features are all 10 or 15 or 20 dollars but this one is 25, then I don't have problem with that I just want to know what am I paying that extra 5 for.

Is it for some extra feature that is worth that much more, or is for some programmer looking to make payments on his wifes Escalade who thinks that since I don't have much of a choice I will pay what ever he wants me to pay him for it.

So basically that was kinda the point of my question was I was looking to find out what extra or special stuff this program had over others.

Again sorry if that is rude but I just wanted to make that clear.

Quote:
SPB Backup can do everything up until the incremental and full-system file syncing. But I'm sure the first is a planned (future) feature and if not, at least suggested already, should be.
Oh ok so SPB doesn't do incremental's.

To be honist with only 256mb on the device I don't really care that much as how long could that take to BU, but I do have a 16g class 6 card coming that I plan to fill up with music, vids, my GPS's programs maps and waypoints and as well use for any other storage I can so thats kinda why I was looking to have that feature as if I have to backup all that as well just to get a few changes backed up, that might take sometime.

Quote:
I recommend SyncToy 2.1 by Microsoft. I've used it as a developer for nearly 5 years (since SyncToy1.0)
Thanks I will look into that one.

Quote:
Let me add, too, that there is an oft overlooked feature of SPB Backup suite, and that is: if the program is installed to the storage card then the user never needs to reinstall the program (of course, they can if they want, or don't know how to create a custom link/shortcut) again. Specifically, SPB BU, once installed on a storage card will remain in a 'program files' root folder which can be accessed no matter what state you phone is in(save for bricked, but still accessible in other devices the storage card finds itself); which makes backing up test ROMS, restoring corrupted ROMs, or recovering from 'catastrophic failures' really, REALLY, easy.
Now there's what I'm talking about as that seems like it would be a really really great feature and thanks for tell me about it.

Quote:
As for an 'all-in-one solution' with all the features you listed, I don't think there is one, and I can't see the absolute need for one as some of the features you listed are non-dependent on others, in some cases may cause the user more problems, and almost certainly creates more user error; not too mention that the price of such a feature-packed program would get questioned in future forum posts.
Great thanks for the experienced info.

Thanks

Last edited by WBFAir; 01-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

SPB BU really does everything necessary for worry free BU.

You can do a hard reset anytime you feel like it & then restore a BU file from your storage card in minutes (I keep about six progressively newer BU's on my card at all times)

You can also use the program "SPB unpack" to access/restore any single file or folder etc from a BU file. I use this all the time to retrieve a file or folder etc that I forgot to save before flashing to a new ROM.

I don't know why you would need incremental BU's as you can just make a full new system BU in minutes & it can be scheduled to run at every night 2AM if that's what you want...

~John
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post

I don't know why you would need incremental BU's as you can just make a full new system BU in minutes & it can be scheduled to run at every night 2AM if that's what you want...

~John
Yeah I hope I'm not being to much of a pain on this and I should mention that I have never actually done this so I really have no idea how long it would take but...

As I mentioned, I plan to have a 16 gig card and between especially the music, pics, videos and mostly the megabits my GPS program can use for the maps it can put on, I'm just worried all that might add up to some.

But again, I have no idea how much time this would take but all I know it that I as most I would think, tend to put off backups that take really long when you only add or change a few things and then the next thing you know, you've get out of the habit with it an then time goes by and you've got a bunch of stuff unbacked up and then something bad happens and you loose a great deal.

This is kinda the part of the idea behind incremental as thats tends to reduce that.

But again, if let's say I had my device and 12 gigs on the card and it only took me 5 minutes to back that up, then thats not a problem.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

As I mentioned, I plan to have a 16 gig card and between especially the music, pics, videos and mostly the megabits my GPS program can use for the maps it can put on, I'm just worried all that might add up to some.
I have a 16 gig card also (with over 12 gigs of stuff on it) but I don't back up the card itself with SPB (I back up everything BUT the card)

I BU the card every few weeks to my laptop mainly so I don't lose it all when the card burns up (my POS Sandisk card has done this twice)

If you do a custom BU with SPB & just check everything except the card, it only takes a matter of minutes to BU the entire system (even if the memory is almost full)

~John
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
I have a 16 gig card also (with over 12 gigs of stuff on it) but I don't back up the card itself with SPB (I back up everything BUT the card0
Just out of curiosity, have you ever tired to do it with the card?

Quote:
I BU the card every few weeks to my laptop mainly so I don't lose it all when the card burns up (my POS Sandisk card has done this twice)
Again just out of curiosity, are you removing the card to do this so that you get the most transfer rate?

See it’s just a theory of mine but, I bought my card from NewEgg and I read a lot of reviews of the microSD cards before trying to find the most reliable one and for virtually everyone that they sold there was at least one person who listed that the card went bad with in month or two.

In reading them though they always seem to talk about that this happened despite the fact that they were very careful in how they handle them.

Which leads me to believe, and grated I don’t have a microSD card yet but I do have a few other types of memory cards, that these micros being so small and thin, are probably prone to getting damaged if the are constantly being pulled in and out of some kind of plug.

So basically my plan is to install this card and unless needed, never take it out.

Hence again, it would probably be real nice if I could do a complete backup of everything including the card which while I know I could save the data probably, it’s the file string structures for a rebuild that matter too, then after for future backups I could just incremental backups of all the same stuff

But thanks for all the help John and to everyone else for theirs too, I should be getting the card next week and once that one is in, I’ll fill it up then try SPB and see how things go.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2