PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   text messages from the future Y2KX issue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104114)

PPCFreak 01-07-2010 03:22 PM

Re: text messages from the future Y2KX issue

Did this only affect SMS?
I got a MMS from my wifes phone (Blackberry on verizon) and it had the correct date (1/1/10).
I am on stock vzw wm6.1 rom.

Telek 01-07-2010 05:12 PM

it's interesting that several different companies have had the same flaw around the world - there's a bank in Australia and a company in the UK as well. I'm betting that it's more likely to be an SMS gateway fix not a MS/HTC issue.

psycho_maniac 01-07-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPCFreak (Post 1468310)
Did this only affect SMS?
I got a MMS from my wifes phone (Blackberry on verizon) and it had the correct date (1/1/10).
I am on stock vzw wm6.1 rom.

it does NOT effect mms. only sms

mikel81 01-12-2010 08:56 PM

Ok, so if this doesn't get fixed real soon I am jumping onto the droidwagon.
Seriously, someone needs to at least let us know there is an actual fix in the works. I will not be running ziggy's cab. I appreciate the effort he put in but I want my phone to run as it was intended. I bet this is the final push that will take me away from windows mobile. Sad...

I had just been setting my phone's date to 2016. (The days of the week line up until 2-29)
Unfortunately, that gives certificate errors in Opera mini and I have to change it back to browse. Grrrr.... Waiting until tax time and will be getting a new phone, what will it be?

Telek 01-12-2010 09:06 PM

There was an article posted on CNET about Microsoft admitting that this was a problem of theirs, however the article also said that it was limited to the US Sprint Network and a "small subset" of users.

Here's another article:

http://www.wmexperts.com/microsoft-r...hones-affected

So they've acknowledged the problem and are working on it. So much for a quick and quiet fix...

If you're having problems why not just use the workaround? At least it takes care of it for now.

psycho_maniac 01-12-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telek (Post 1483095)
There was an article posted on CNET about Microsoft admitting that this was a problem of theirs, however the article also said that it was limited to the US Sprint Network and a "small subset" of users.

Here's another article:

http://www.wmexperts.com/microsoft-r...hones-affected

So they've acknowledged the problem and are working on it. So much for a quick and quiet fix...

If you're having problems why not just use the workaround? At least it takes care of it for now.

i agree. im using the workaround and its fine for now. il just deal with it until we can get the real fix.

marinemissez 01-12-2010 10:05 PM

So if it's been recognized as a binary/HEX code error, why doesn't Microsoft/HTC just fix it and release the fix?? Hopefully not having to create a completely new ROM

Telek 01-12-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinemissez (Post 1483240)
So if it's been recognized as a binary/HEX code error, why doesn't Microsoft/HTC just fix it and release the fix?? Hopefully not having to create a completely new ROM

We don't know that it's a binary/hex error -- that's just supposition.

Windows Mobile does hypothetically support hotfixes but I don't think that I have ever seen one. Considering how many users it's affecting and the difficulty (i.e. impossibility) for the majority of users to update the ROM I would think that they'd go with a hotfix if possible - but that may be exactly where the delay is coming from. The problem may have been easily identified and fixed but requires a ROM update.

BlackDynamite 01-12-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telek (Post 1483251)
We don't know that it's a binary/hex error -- that's just supposition.

Windows Mobile does hypothetically support hotfixes but I don't think that I have ever seen one. Considering how many users it's affecting and the difficulty (i.e. impossibility) for the majority of users to update the ROM I would think that they'd go with a hotfix if possible - but that may be exactly where the delay is coming from. The problem may have been easily identified and fixed but requires a ROM update.

I don't see why it would be any different than when they issued the daylight savings time fix a few years ago when daylight savings time changed (as far as how they issue it)...

Telek 01-12-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1483266)
I don't see why it would be any different than when they issued the daylight savings time fix a few years ago when daylight savings time changed (as far as how they issue it)...

That fix was likely a registry key change - this fix is likely a core DLL or system component binary file change.

BlackDynamite 01-12-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telek (Post 1483273)
That fix was likely a registry key change - this fix is likely a core DLL or system component binary file change.

You may be correct. But even so, package that sucker up in an RUU and update just that, leaving the rest of the ROM alone...

marinemissez 01-12-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1483307)
You may be correct. But even so, package that sucker up in an RUU and update just that, leaving the rest of the ROM alone...

That's how I feel. I've been trying to patiently wait, and it's not too annoying right now, but it's annoying to know that they haven't come up with a resolution yet.

Thanks Ziggy for the workaround. Definitely appreciate your work.

mikee4fun 01-12-2010 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to chime in on this. I am using my own cooked rom and never had any of the problems here. The difference perhaps is that I am using the following registry key and no issues with inbound or outbound time stamps for text messages.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\SMS

The dword with RecvTimeStamp is set to 1

I get in bound and sent without any issues.

Registry settings attached

Telek 01-12-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikee4fun (Post 1483461)
I had to chime in on this. I am using my own cooked rom and never had any of the problems here. The difference perhaps is taht I am using the following registry key and no issues with inbound or outbound time stamps for text messages.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\SMS

The dword with RecvTimeStamp is set to 1

I get in bound and sent without any issues.

Registry settings attached

That's exactly the workaround that was already discovered, but thanks anyway :)

The problem that a lot of people have with that is that the recv timestamp is now the arrival timestamp, not the send timestamp. It's nice to know when a message was sent especially if your phone is off or you were out of coverage or for whatever reason the message was delayed.

mikee4fun 01-12-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telek (Post 1483563)
That's exactly the workaround that was already discovered, but thanks anyway :)

The problem that a lot of people have with that is that the recv timestamp is now the arrival timestamp, not the send timestamp. It's nice to know when a message was sent especially if your phone is off or you were out of coverage or for whatever reason the message was delayed.

Ahh, thanks for the insight. I really don't rely on sms messages that bad. Just email. =) In fact I purge my sms inbox every day. =P

psycho_maniac 01-13-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinemissez (Post 1483420)
That's how I feel. I've been trying to patiently wait, and it's not too annoying right now, but it's annoying to know that they haven't come up with a resolution yet.

Thanks Ziggy for the workaround. Definitely appreciate your work.

get it right! Thanks ziggy471!!! "ziggy" is an impostor