PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Vastly Improved video playback on the MOGUL (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9487)

xmentalx 10-04-2007 11:32 PM

Vastly Improved video playback on the MOGUL

i was poking around a bit tonight, mostly looking for a viable way to watch 24 on my mogul (my eps are in IPOD format so they are mp4)

so in my search for TCPMP 81beta rc1 i stumbled onto GAPI found http://www.wincesoft.de/html/gapi_for_hpc_s.html here (download the cab and install it)

i installed it along with another media player (that didnt even run) but when i ran tcpmp v.72, i noticed something, GAPI was a new video option along with the standard direct draw, raw etc
so i tried it, and low and behold my 24 episode played near perfectly, even fast forwarding and rewinding... dunno if this has been posted before, if so im sorry for the double-post, but im quite amazed at how a simple mistake just made my day...

when you run gapi setup you will get an error, ignore it, and i did enable the framebuffer cache, dunno if that helped or not but in my case its enabled and my playback is working great....

it works fine in tcpmp v.81 also, but i just happened to start .72 first

gobmonster 10-05-2007 02:27 PM

i dont see the extra video driver in tcpmp (i have ddraw rawframe gdi)

is there something else needed, it also ask me to copy a dll file to the windows directory, but i dont know where the file is at

*i just checked and gx.dll is in the directory, but i still cant select it for playback in tcpmp

divxrippimp 10-05-2007 03:51 PM

Same here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobmonster (Post 97110)
i dont see the extra video driver in tcpmp (i have ddraw rawframe gdi)

is there something else needed, it also ask me to copy a dll file to the windows directory, but i dont know where the file is at

*i just checked and gx.dll is in the directory, but i still cant select it for playback in tcpmp

xmentalx 10-05-2007 08:46 PM

yea, i have since found out you need tcpmp .81 for it to work, somehow it worked once with the older version and none since, and it will give you that error on startup, just close the error and the setup will run, and save and exit it (it runs sometimes, i have had problems to get it to run, but it works fine with me)

divxrippimp 10-06-2007 06:24 AM

Works and defiantly helps alot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmentalx (Post 97269)
yea, i have since found out you need tcpmp .81 for it to work, somehow it worked once with the older version and none since, and it will give you that error on startup, just close the error and the setup will run, and save and exit it (it runs sometimes, i have had problems to get it to run, but it works fine with me)

gobmonster 10-06-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klurf8881 (Post 97479)
it seems like GAPI was meant for older PPCs though from how i understand it and doesnt really offer us anything new currently above directdraw or rawframe, i think it was before those standards were availible

EDIT** GAPI was pre-directdraw seen below from microsoft. I wouldnt use it over directdraw or the raw setting it doesnt support hardware acceleration and its an old technology for pre wm 5 devices

The Game API (GAPI) was an early, pre-Windows Mobile Version 5.0 library that allowed applications, primarily games, to display efficient and fast graphics on Windows Mobile. GAPI has for the most part been made obsolete by DirectDraw and Direct3D Mobile. The input portions of the GAPI interface remain in use. Although GAPI remains supported for legacy applications, it is depreciated and should not be used (with the exception of the input functions) in current games.

DirectDraw is superior to GAPI in these ways:

GAPI graphics does not take advantage of hardware acceleration, since it writes directly to the frame buffer. DirectDraw supports hardware acceleration.

GAPI graphics does not support different screen resolutions, and DirectDraw does. This saves you from having to support all resolutions in your own code, and future-proofs your program, allowing it to run at resolutions that may be added in the future.

Doesnt really speak for the moguls terrible direct draw driver, im going to download tcpmp .81, does it replace the .72 version?

ms30250 10-06-2007 09:19 PM

Works like a charm

Yes this also worked very well for me.

mastermatt63 10-07-2007 10:36 PM

Gapi

doodes this thing is awesome I luv it I downloaded Media Converter at download.com and i convert all the vids i wanna watch on my mogul to mpeg1 and they work crystal clear in my TCPMP v.71

skatsev 10-08-2007 10:43 AM

Just for my (and others?) clarification:
  • The GAPI driver doesn't *replace* DirectDraw, correct?
  • This only works for TCPMP? ... i.e. applications like VTap will still be very slow?
Thanks!

Dagger969 10-08-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastermatt63 (Post 98122)
doodes this thing is awesome I luv it I downloaded Media Converter at download.com and i convert all the vids i wanna watch on my mogul to mpeg1 and they work crystal clear in my TCPMP v.71

Which media converter do you use? There are a few on there. Could you post a link? Thanks.