PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Tregrad is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
1. He probably left off the ".jar" because it's not there. In my case, at least, there's a s0_suite.jar, but nothing else called s(anything)_suite.jar. I have a whole range of files with various extensions and names formed like s(some number or other)_suite.utf. The ".jar" or ".utf" isn't the important part. As the original posting suggests, the important information for this purpose is the number. I didn't even fool with that - I just made the link and edited the properties with numbers starting with 1 until the midlet I wanted popped up. Then I stopped.

2. Where do you come up with the notion that there is no option to rename a file in Total Commander? I do that all the time. Just tap-and-hold on the file, select "rename" from the menu, and, well... rename it. "*.*" is a convention dating from the earliest days of DOS that means "whatever." It's up to YOU to decide what you want to call your file. Since the original that you copied has an extension of ".lnk", you might want to use that as the extension, since that will make it show up as a "link" in the program manager, but that's entirely up to you.

A .cab file for this would be very complicated, if not impossible (see non-techy note below) because everyone's setup is different. The pertinent pointer information (that number that's causing so much confusion) is going to be different depending on which and how many java midlets you have installed.

I'm just a simple country doctor, not some pointy-eared tech god, but in my opinion if these instructions don't make sense to you then you shouldn't be worried at all about that. Just move on with your life. Otherwise, you're just going to screw up your phone and get more upset.
Are you feeling better about your self now?
Maybe your right.....if something is a bit hard, I guess everyone should just quit, throw in the towel and just play video games right? I sure hope your not teaching your kids that.
Nothing ventured Nothing gained I always say.
So were you BORN a doctor or did you have to learn it? ummm ok then. Please let the good people in here help the not so ppc educated people in here like me.
those were simple questions from a novice at this stuff and was hoping to get some actual "help" not a flame job.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tregrad is a n00b
going to try this again and lets hope no one else who suffers from E-D answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxross View Post
Well I finally got my OperaMini shortcut how it should be and it was such a PITA getting everything working right that I decided to share it here. You will need TotalCommander or Resco Explorer to do this. To get a shortcut to launch Opera Mini without going through the midlet manager:

1. Go to \Windows\appdb
2. You should see files like s#_suite. One of these should be Opera Mini. If it is the only Java app you have installed it will be the one that isn't s0_suite. If you have several, you can click on them to find out which launches Opera Mini. Mine is s3_suite, even though it's the only Java app I have... Now remember whatever number it is.
3. Go to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
4. Find Java, and duplicate it
5. Rename it to OperaMini
6. Go into Properties > Shortcut. It should say "\Windows\jeodek.exe"
7. Make it: "\Windows\jeodek.exe" -run s#_
(Replace the # with the number from step 2)

---I've now attached my Opera Mini shortcut so you can download it, put it in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and just edit it instead of duplicating the Java shortcut.

Now you have a shortcut directly to Opera Mini. The problem is, it has that stupid Java e as the icon. To get the Opera icon:

1. Download the dll attached to this post
2. Put it on your phone somewhere
3. Edit the shortcut again, this time make it: "\Windows\jeodek.exe" -run s#_?\Path\To\OperaIcon.dll,0
(Obviously change the path to wherever you placed the dll.)
Here's what my shortcut target looks like to give you an example: "\Windows\jeodek.exe" -run s3_?\Storage Card\My Documents\OperaIcon.dll,0

And that's it! The hardest part was creating the icon.. It's hard to get round icons to not look like crap on nonwhite backgrounds. Hope this helps someone!

on step 4 I copy/move then a window pops up and has teh options to "copy, move, tree, cancel" and has a directory path at the top that is greyed out with a *.* at teh end. this is where im lost because there is no option to rename it.
Do I just "rename" the file at step 4 or do I have to copy/move it and if so can you explain what to do next, do i just make the *.* operamini.jar?

I already found the proper file to change and think I can get it from step 4 I am just stopped there.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregrad View Post
Are you feeling better about your self now?
Maybe your right.....if something is a bit hard, I guess everyone should just quit, throw in the towel and just play video games right? I sure hope your not teaching your kids that.
Nothing ventured Nothing gained I always say.
So were you BORN a doctor or did you have to learn it? ummm ok then. Please let the good people in here help the not so ppc educated people in here like me.
those were simple questions from a novice at this stuff and was hoping to get some actual "help" not a flame job.
Jeez - YOU were the one requesting a .cab file so you wouldn't have to follow the highly-detailed, step-by-step instructions!

Go back and read my post again. I said nothing about throwing in the towel if something was a little bit difficult. I did say that if you couldn't understand what was going on (such as copying and renaming files) it was probably better to work on something else rather than mess up your phone doing something you don't understand until you've got that stuff down.

I also did answer your question about how to complete steps 4 and 5 when I told you that you should replace *.* with a filename and extension of your choosing and that a good extension would be .lnk. You just got too hot under the collar to notice that.

No, I wasn't born a doctor (nor did I jump right in and start doing cool stuff like yanking out appendices until I'd done a number of preliminary steps first to ensure that I knew what was going on). My point, actually, was that I'm a biology geek, not an electronics person and that the instructions were detailed enough for a PPC novice like me to follow.

If you turn down the sensitivity level, you'll be able to see the help that is being offered you. It'll also make things much more pleasant when you actually do get flamed sometime.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
going to try this again and lets hope no one else who suffers from E-D answers.

on step 4 I copy/move then a window pops up and has teh options to "copy, move, tree, cancel" and has a directory path at the top that is greyed out with a *.* at teh end. this is where im lost because there is no option to rename it.
Do I just "rename" the file at step 4 or do I have to copy/move it and if so can you explain what to do next, do i just make the *.* operamini.jar?

I already found the proper file to change and think I can get it from step 4 I am just stopped there.
Let's try this again:

1) Using Total Commander, after navigating to the directory containing the file you wish to copy, tap and hold on the file you want to copy. In this case, it's going to be ""Esmertec Jbed.lnk" or "java.lnk", depending on what file you want to copy. (Some people have both on their phones.)

2) Select Copy/Move from the menu that pops up.

3) Tap to the right of the "*.*" in the text box, then tap the little SIP icon at the bottom right corner of the screen (or use your keyboard).

4) Tap the backspace key (a bold arrow pointing to the left, located at the top right of the SIP area) 3 times to delete the "*.*", then tap in a name for your copied file. You may name it whatever you like, but the name should take the form of "filename.lnk". That will make an icon called "filename" appear in your Program Manager.

5) Tap the "Copy" box.

Move on to the next step in the process.

There are several other ways of doing this within Total Commander - this is just one of them. Experiment around - as they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained!"

BTW, what are "E-D answers?!"
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tregrad is a n00b
still waiting for someone who dosent suffer from "ED" to answer my question.
Im not going to waste valuable forum space with this.
Please, if you have an answer just give it and it will be greatley appreciated, conversly, if you dont like the way i ask questions then DONT answer them.
As im not the most well informed guy around I may not ask them correctly.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
still waiting for someone who dosent suffer from "ED" to answer my question.
Im not going to waste valuable forum space with this.
Please, if you have an answer just give it and it will be greatley appreciated, conversly, if you dont like the way i ask questions then DONT answer them.
As im not the most well informed guy around I may not ask them correctly.
OK, this is truly ridiculous. What more do you want?! I spelled out every tiny step you need to take in excruciating detail!

Tell us what part of my most recent post doesn't work for you and maybe someone can jump in and make it clearer for you.

Or is it just that you are unwilling to read my instructions because you are extremely sensitive and took offense at my first response to you, and are insisting that someone else post identical instructions?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

harrybozack is just getting started
I think he's looking for somebody to come to his house and do it for him
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

jerason is a n00b
I'm a board certified hand holder. I can be on the next plane..

Seriously, Tregrad. I can say with certainty that I don't suffer from Erectile Dysfunction, but I fail to see the relevance. Oh, and just so you're aware, everyone comes on these forums because they really enjoy spending their time answering questions that have already been answered and addressing issues that any reasonable person with mediocre problem solving skills and a 3rd grade reading comprehension should be able to figure out. Now, lets try explain this in a way you can comprehend. I hope this helps, because I wouldn't want to waste any more "precious forum space" rephrasing the solution over and over because you're technologically inept and expect correct answers from wrong questions.

1. If you're downloading both the files in the first post you're going to be skipping the first set of instructions. You will place the operamini.lnk into Windows\Start Menu\Programs. (you could skip to step 3 and use trial and error by trying different s(#'s)_suite)

2. The file type is irrelevant. What is relevant is the number of java programs (midlets) you have installed. If you have only 1 then you're in luck, it's the only s#_suite file in the folder. Yours could be named s1_suite, s2_suite, s3_suite, etc..

3. You will now go into Windows\Start Menu\Programs and navigate to the Operamini.lnk. You will select it and go to it's Properties. Once there you will edit the shortcut's s#_suite to reflect that of your Opera midlet. You're finished with the link. On to the icon..

4. Place the opera icon in StorageCard\My Documents. If you choose to place it elsewhere you will have to edit the Operamini.lnk to reflect that (the bold portion.) ("\Windows\jeodek.exe" -run s#_suite\Storage Card\My Documents\OperaIcon.dll,0)

fin.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

Gizmogajet is a n00b
Thanks, works Great
Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

angellt is a n00b
Isnt the jbed java app much better the jeodek?

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...t-manager.html

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan