PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Telus Titan/P4000 GPS problems

Okay - so I got my replacement P4000 the other day, loaded up Google Maps and then got......... nothing for GPS.

I've tried it about 10 times, ONCE I got it working while I was out and about with about 4 satellites, but lost it when I tried again.

Right now, I've been trying for the last few hours to no luck, either. It's sitting at "Seeking GPS Satellites" and a whopping 0. Same thing if I go outside in clear skies.

GPS test proves that my GPS unit IS working, it finds a few, most are yellow and there may be one or two that are green. But it never locks on.

I've attempted to change the GPS settings in the registry, tried to use QuickGPS - but nothing works and I'm left with a phone that has crap for its GPS possibilities.

It has the current HTC stock rom that's SUPPOSED to have GPS enabled. The ROM version is 3.54.661.1 and the date is 6/25/08. The Radio is 3.42.40

Anyone have any suggestions?? These same issues were happening on my previous phone too, after I did an update. I'm confused!

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Telus Titan/P4000 GPS problems

Is your location turned on? Use htc gps tool or gps viewer to get a lock. Then in satelittle view tell me if you see any red dots.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Location is on, I've turned that on/off multiple times.

I've done all the settings to what they "should" be based on what everyone has shown. So yes, it already is set to that. The only thing that now works is the BAF GPS Toggle, but that takes about 3 minutes to actually create a lock, and then it works just fine.
But why the heck should I have to use BAF GPS toggle?

GPS Tool I set to Com4 at Baudrate 4800

After about 3 minutes, I was seeing "Satellites used: 2" and 2 green dots, 2 red and for some reason, I had a device.exe error, which seems somewhat common for the GPS problems. That closed down GPS Tool

It hadn't even gone into standby, what a pain.

In the registry, I have HKLM>Software>HTC>SUPL AGPS settings to

EnableAGPS - 1
EnableGPSSmartMode - 1

I've set the server IP and ports to be those assigned to Telus

216.198.139.92, port 8889

The only changes I had to make were those to the Server IP, port and EnableGPSSmartMode.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Mr. Chevy

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Not sure on the telus agps stuff but you can at least get a lock now. Maybe look in quickgps. I use it all the time. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...69&postcount=2
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sigh. Okay, I did use QuickGPS before this, and that didn't help at all... I was able to download the info, but it did nothin'
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Mr. Chevy

Maybe check the ip address info in qpst to make sure it is correct.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'll have to try that later. But just to update, when I installed QuickGPS - that actually stopped the GPS from locking through anything, including the BAF GPS, and I got the device.exe crash error.

Uninstalled QuickGPS, ran BAF GPS again and in a few minutes I had a lock.

I'm just confused by this, whether it's an issue with the handset or something different..
Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Mr. Chevy

Maybe time for a hard reset. I have never heard of a device,exe crash with gps.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

but I just GOT this phone, and this problem was happening from the get-go.

I'm also having problems getting as many sattelites as I did a few months ago with my old phone. eveything was fine until I accidentally did a hard reset on my phone.

could it be an issue with the GPS chip??

grr.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Strange. Now it's not working at all. Even after doing ANOTHER hard reset. I'm going to try and reload the ROM direct from the HTC site.

The GPS error with device.exe isn't unheard of, but it also doesn't seem very common. Stupid phone.

If the rom upgrade doesn't work, another replacement it shall be. And if that doesn't work, it'll be #3, which will likely get me a new phone.

So at least there's SOME light at the end of the tunnel.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan