PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   wifi in standby (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=6398)

senatorface 07-24-2007 08:36 PM

wifi in standby

when connected to my wireless router at home, whenever i tap the power key to put the device in to standby, i also lose my wifi data connect and all programs maintaining it get disconnected. i found a Power Save slider in Wireless Lan (Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Wireless Lan) for that particular data connection, but even when dragged all the way to the left for Best Performance, it still behaves this way.

is there any way to keep my wifi data connection connected when the device is in standby (not completely off, just the screen). my forum search returned nothing of value.

Scrotum 07-24-2007 09:07 PM

that is strange i have not experienced tis. typically i put the phone in standby when downloading and the wifi connection stays there
________
Hotstuffmmm

jamesus 07-25-2007 10:25 AM

I have noticed that when I wake my device after being connected to wifi that there is a small period of time right after the device waking that it reconnects to wifi...

senatorface 07-25-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus
I have noticed that when I wake my device after being connected to wifi that there is a small period of time right after the device waking that it reconnects to wifi...

yep you can see the little icon looking for a connection, and if you tap it quick enough you can get the dialog that says theres no data sessions active.

others must be experiencing this? i'm pretty disappointed in it as i intended to use the mogul as a mobile pc within my house being that i dont have a laptop, but if i'm going to lose my internet connection everytime i go in to standby thats not gonna serve that purpose very well.

jamesus 07-25-2007 10:59 PM

Depends on what is using the wifi connection. Some programs keep the data connection open even when the phone turns off, however I wonder if the phone's battery saving "ability" would trump the app's commands.

senatorface 07-25-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus
Depends on what is using the wifi connection. Some programs keep the data connection open even when the phone turns off, however I wonder if the phone's battery saving "ability" would trump the app's commands.

you'd think the slider for the specific wifi connection set to "Best Performance" versus "Best Battery" would maintain the connection at the cost of battery life in standby. i'm not sure anyone could say what effect this slider has at all... can you?

jaak 07-26-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senatorface
you'd think the slider for the specific wifi connection set to "Best Performance" versus "Best Battery" would maintain the connection at the cost of battery life in standby. i'm not sure anyone could say what effect this slider has at all... can you?

The slider sets the power saving mode of the wifi radio. It allows the radio to go to sleep and power down parts of its circuits. The radio will then periodically wake up to check to see if it has any data waiting for it at the access point.

The power savings can be significant, but it slows down throughput.

Conversely, on best performance the radio is always fully powered and ready to receive. The access point can send data immediately and not wait for the radio to wake up and poll it. (Check out 802.11 power save mode on google if you want to know more about it.)

nuguy 07-26-2007 06:17 AM

I know there is a reg setting for the SD slot that was keeping the sd alive durring standby (apache forum). I am pretty sure the wifi has a simmilar entry.

But I can't find the thread at the moment...

that_kid 07-26-2007 10:00 AM

No WM device behaves this way, the slider is just to set the performace of the radio when it's on, not when the device is in standby. When the device is put into standby so is wifi, it's by design and unless you have the device connected to external power the usefullness of this wouldn't be very good. Maybe there's a way around it but as it stands this is how it is.

dcd 07-26-2007 02:22 PM

that_kid is correct

also, i beleive the slider adjusts the TX power of the radio.