PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does skyfire work well with the mogul 6800? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62717)

twilk 03-28-2009 08:30 AM

Does skyfire work well with the mogul 6800?

I was looking at the diffrent browesers available for this phone. I am looking for one that resembles more of a desktop style screen. Skyfire seems to come close. Any other browesers I should look into before going with skyfire? Also will skyfire play youtube or similar video's?

Sorry for all the noobness this morning. This forum isnt only hard to navigate with search but you people seem to be indecicve.

gmfeny 03-28-2009 08:54 AM

Re: Does skyfire work well with the mogul 6800?

download all of them and try them to see which one you like the best (they're all free!!!) and yes skyfire will play videos from youtube

thvoicwethin 03-28-2009 10:35 AM

I used skyfire and loved it. Then I went to Opera and LOVED it.

I switched back to Skyfire for two reasons.

1. Opera needs java, i cant find the download anymore to where it all installs itself and you don't have to go to the java app to access it.
2. No video/audio cap. (ie youtube, cnet, etc etc)

demonlordoftheround 03-28-2009 10:35 AM

Skyfire works great on the 6800.

jdignazio 03-28-2009 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Skyfire is the only decent browser that supports flash at the molment. But have you guys tried the newest Iris Browser, Im starting to like this browser, if it supported flash it would be my default browser.

Try it out.

kabuk1 03-28-2009 08:05 PM

aside from being a major memory & battery hog, skyfire is pretty decent. youtube quality with it is crap though, if you want youtube just get on freewarepocktpc.com & download the new youtube app.

thvoicwethin 03-29-2009 10:15 AM

Never liked Iris IMO, but i agree on the mem hog.

Youtube app +1

JazzyJ025 03-29-2009 11:11 AM

i looooooooooove skyfire. it's the only app i use for browsing. ie sux

petermg 03-29-2009 11:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Skyfire seems, IMO, too kludgy for me. It doesn't FEEL very responsive. I use Operamini and it works great!! VERY FAST.. it does NOT support flash or javascript however (not fully). But I don't like using a mobile browser for flash since I"ve not seen one that does it full screen. That's why I use youtubeplayer or the youtube video viewer itself. Youtubeplayer however can save the files for offline viewing.

I have also been playing with the Iris browser and I must say that I really like it. Another browser I like however is Access' Netfront 3.5 Concept browser. Both of these support javascript! (which means if someone posts a link to a file on rapidshare you can download it!!!). I've also played with JB5 browser (which ALSO supports javascript), it seems VERY compatible with many sites. Has a few bugs, and is not as fast as the other browsers I just mentioned, but it does have promise. Another browser is UCWEB, I use the PPC version rather than the one that needs java.

Also as far as Operamini (NOT MOBILE), needing java, yes, this is true, but you can just make a shortcut with a syntax that automatically launches Operamini. I have ALSO tried OperaMOBILE 8.65 and 9.51. I like 9.51 better tahn 8.65, but I really wasn't able to use it on my mogul, because it was such a memory hog, until I upgraded to Nuerom3, because his rom frees up way more memory in HIGH MEM mode.

Hope this helps. I almost NEVER use Skyfire. I honestly do NOT see why others seem to like it so much. Maybe it runs better on everyone else's devices? Or maybe I'm just too used to how EXTREMELY FAST OperaMini is!! It's as if I'm surfing the web on BROADBAND even when NOT using my WIFI! Skyfire seems sluggish on my Mogul/Titan, regardless of which Rom I'm using. OperaMobile 9.51beta used to be my fav aside from OperaMini, until I tried Iris and Netfront! Now it's OperaMini, then Netfront, Iris, JB5 for compatibility. For some work stuff I use PIE due to a wap site and how fast PIE loads. PIE is KILLER for WAP! Then I also use OperaMini for the rest of my work related web activities. I don't really like the FEEL of UCWEB, but I would say I have it next to last on my list of browsers I use. I left out Skyfire (would be last).. cuz I almost never use it.

weedahoe 03-30-2009 08:09 AM

I still use PIE+ but have to use Skyfire alot because so many sites have Flash on them and PIE+ cant handle it. So with that being said and as everyone else has said, yes, Skyfire works great.