PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Newb today screen question? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62018)

twilk 03-22-2009 02:45 PM

Newb today screen question?

Ok so I plan to search the forum but I just want a basic starting point. What exactly do I need to do to customize my own today screen?

Here is what I think I need to do..

1st- Unlock phone, get a reg editor and unlock the phone manualy?
2nd- Download a kitchen?
3rd- Download someones ROM?
4th- Edit ROM to my liking and install on phone?

Is this the right proccess? I just want the basic steps so I at least no where to begin with search.

Thanks, Thomas

popdog54 03-22-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Newb today screen question?

Unless you're flashing to a custom ROM with a UI built into it, ie Manilla, then the ROM has nothing to do with it. There are umpteen different programs that let you customize your Today screen. Examples - HTC Home Plugin, UltimateLaunch, SPB Mobile Shell, Wisbar Advanced Desktop, PointUI, rl Today, iFonz, etc... Search the forum. All of these and more have been discussed extensively.

boredandtattooed 03-22-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilk (Post 789629)
Ok so I plan to search the forum but I just want a basic starting point. What exactly do I need to do to customize my own today screen?

Here is what I think I need to do..

1st- Unlock phone, get a reg editor and unlock the phone manualy?
2nd- Download a kitchen?
3rd- Download someones ROM?
4th- Edit ROM to my liking and install on phone?

Is this the right proccess? I just want the basic steps so I at least no where to begin with search.

Thanks, Thomas

unlock= making it so you can flash a radio and rom
kitchen=where u build a rom

if u download someone elses rom, u dont need a kitchen.. if your going to build your own you would need to then.. ...

the poster above me gave you very good examples of what your looking for..

twilk 03-22-2009 08:56 PM

So I can download a program just to customize my today screen I dont need to do any of that other stuff basicly. So what exactly is the point of upgrading the rom then? Is it so you can add diffrent I.E. 's and other programs?

popdog54 03-22-2009 09:07 PM

Custom ROMs usually eliminate any carrier junk that was added to the device. They also increase overall performace, speed, memory management, battery life, etc. You can also cook programs into a custom ROM so they don't have to be installed separately.

twilk 03-22-2009 10:15 PM

Thank you alot guys I figured out what I wanted to do now :)

Keir333 03-22-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilk (Post 790770)
Thank you alot guys I figured out what I wanted to do now :)

You should go back and hit the green "Thanks" button in the corner of their posts to show 'em your appreciation

-Keir-