PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   program memory...how low will it go??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5916)

chiromikey 07-11-2007 10:05 PM

program memory...how low will it go???

i've been soft resetting daily to maintain enough program memory to run apps but decided to see how much memory will continue to leak if i let it go. just after a soft reset i show 21mb free. after one day i showed 17mb free. i'm now on day two and only show 12mb free. i've limited my use the basics like pie, wmp, calendar+, and the phone and i obviously close all programs after each use out of necessity. the only today screen app i'm using is a basic weatherpanel config...MUCH less than i used to fly with on the 6700.

wowthatisrandom 07-11-2007 11:00 PM

make sure u are running a task manager... i use HTC X-Button 1.5 bc i soft reset at 21 megs and do about the same as u i have had mine as low as 4 but just close all the apps and up it goes

hope that helps... running at 12-18 isnt soo bad

chiromikey 07-11-2007 11:52 PM

i always use a task manager (remember i said that i always close programs). i started with mb until htc-x button became available. it's pretty sad that we even have to worry about closing apps considering the specs of this device.

wowthatisrandom 07-11-2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i always use a task manager (remember i said that i always close programs). i started with mb until htc-x button became available. it's pretty sad that we even have to worry about closing apps considering the specs of this device.

tell me about it lol... i soft reset 3 times a day anyways im always messing something up....

Pibe38 07-12-2007 02:33 AM

Odd... I don't have to soft reset so often. I have a very loaded Today screen and I was running 4 apps in the background with no issues today.

jamesus 07-12-2007 11:32 AM

I am routinely around 9 MB and use Memmaid and SK Tools 'Reclaim RAM' utilities to free up as much RAM as possible.

stroths 07-12-2007 11:41 AM

The freeware version of SKTools installs an icon in your Program list "FreeUP RAM" that does help if you don't want to spend money on an app. Run it a few times in a row and you should get back some RAM.

chiromikey 07-12-2007 03:16 PM

lol...i pulled it off the charger this morning and the damn thing soft reset ITSELF! maybe i trained it to soft reset when the program memory gets too low with the amount of times i've had to do it myself. :?:

TurboFool 07-12-2007 03:29 PM

I tend to soft reset mine at least once a day. I'd rather not waste memory with a memory recapture tool when it just takes a minute or so to do it the heavy way.

But I, too, am disappointed that this is even necessary. A friend of mine (turned out to be a major ROM-maker on these very forums for the 6700) explained that the "missing" memory is reserved for the phone portion (too bad that doesn't stop the system from refusing to answer the phone when it's overloaded). But there's still got to be a way for the system to manage itself better.

Man I can't wait for the custom ROMs to hit.

chiromikey 07-16-2007 07:11 PM

this memory problem is getting so bad that even with 15mb free just after a soft reset, as soon as i open pie i'm down to 2mb and can't completely open entire webpages. this thing is fuggin HORRIBLE!!!!