PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Answers needed (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57729)

biff441 02-14-2009 11:30 PM

Answers needed

I am a noob. I am trying to gather information to decide if I want to flash my ROM. I have a Mogul. I have the WM 6.1 upgrade. It is limited as everyone knows.

What does flashing your ROM really give you? Do apps run faster? Do you increase your main memory (which is what I want to do)? Can you run multiple apps without having to do a soft reset? Does Opera run faster? As of now, my Opera internet experience is average. It runs faster than IE, but moving a page with my finger feels like a chore. I also am using the Winterface Suite, which I like. It freezes up and doesn't fully load sometimes. You know half winterface and half WM 6.1.

I have read the Titan Wiki. It is more of a "how to" than a "why" you should do this. I have also googled various terms with no real answers.

I have many more questions but I don't want to scare anyone off. If some one could answer the fundemental questions like why do this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Geekcop 02-15-2009 12:14 AM

Re: Answers needed

It depends on the ROM you want to use. Many of them are stripped down, in that they don't have a lot of add on apps. If you're looking to gain memory, this might be the type you seek. Something else you may want to do is run a clean up app on your device, if things are bogged down. Often, a system slowdown is caused by an accumulation of junk files, internet and otherwise. Check out MemMaid (www.dinarsoft.com) or SKTools (www.s-k-tools.com). Neither is free, but worth the $20 that you'll spend. If you're looking for ROM specific info, check over at www.xda-developers.com

demonlordoftheround 02-15-2009 12:57 AM

SKtools does have a trial, and works very well. If you like lots of apps, yuo won't like the stripped down ROMs.

biff441 02-15-2009 01:31 AM

I use skTools. Does a great job cleaning up and optimizing. Still not enough. I do like a lot of apps. Which ROM would you recommend?

biff441 02-15-2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 713474)
It depends on the ROM you want to use. Many of them are stripped down, in that they don't have a lot of add on apps. If you're looking to gain memory, this might be the type you seek. Something else you may want to do is run a clean up app on your device, if things are bogged down. Often, a system slowdown is caused by an accumulation of junk files, internet and otherwise. Check out MemMaid (www.dinarsoft.com) or SKTools (www.s-k-tools.com). Neither is free, but worth the $20 that you'll spend. If you're looking for ROM specific info, check over at www.xda-developers.com

I've been on XDA's site. I came here to see what I should ask on XDA. The site asks you to upload files, but I'm not sure which files to upload. I do not want to scew up my phone to the level others have on the Titan Upgrade Site. I want a preferred or OEM ROM build. One that is tested and works. Where do I go to get this information?