PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Goodlink on the Mogul? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5123)

tvrvic 06-19-2007 05:47 PM

Goodlink on the Mogul?

Anybody able to get Goodlink to Install? Kind of odd they included the icon for it in the rom and it doesn't seem to support it. I tried to do an OTA install of the PPC5 version and it tells me the following :

good messaging is not supported for the carrier: sprint pcs

I did try the reg edit to change the carrier name, I changed it just to Sprint and it still picks up Sprint PCS. Anybody have any ideas? or gotten it to work?

Jact 06-19-2007 10:31 PM

OK...I am having the same problem with the default install. I tried installing the beta and it goes through the install however is now stuck at downloading services (same thing that happened when installing the prod app to 3.5 aku's of 6700's). I do know that not all WM6 phones work with goodlink, I will be contacting them tomorrow on this.

tvrvic 06-19-2007 10:48 PM

how did you get the beta? I didn't call them since I wasn't at work today. I know they should have a beta of 5.0 already since they should be close to being done with it.

Guess I will call tomorrow morning and see what they say. Just wondering if maybe you had some key words I can tell support to get them to give me access to the beta since it isn't listed under betas on my good portal.

dmackdaddy 06-19-2007 11:35 PM

yeah, sucks!!! the 4.9.3 ota shows the same darn imsi number as the esn and the 5.0 beta doesn't but it still won't install. we are going to have to wait till the release 5.0 for the server. seems they figured out the imsi issue now u need the server portion but we r not going to install beta on our stuff.

Jact 06-20-2007 09:56 AM

so I am now up and running on the beta, apparently when I was re-added to the good console I was put on production instead of the test server, so yes you do need the beta installed on a server. Checked with Good today and it doesn't seem like they are going to support the Mogul until the 5.0 release.

Jact 06-20-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrvic
how did you get the beta? I didn't call them since I wasn't at work today. I know they should have a beta of 5.0 already since they should be close to being done with it.

Guess I will call tomorrow morning and see what they say. Just wondering if maybe you had some key words I can tell support to get them to give me access to the beta since it isn't listed under betas on my good portal.

I would just send an e-mail to your contact at good asking to be added to the 5.0 beta, nothing really more than that. there is only a few phones that good has tested with it, so you may have some problems, I didn't have any problems on my 6700 runing aku 3.5 or this device since I got it up and running this morning.

tvrvic 06-20-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jact
I would just send an e-mail to your contact at good asking to be added to the 5.0 beta, nothing really more than that. there is only a few phones that good has tested with it, so you may have some problems, I didn't have any problems on my 6700 runing aku 3.5 or this device since I got it up and running this morning.

Looks like I am out of luck; my company isn't large enough to be considered for the beta.

I guess I am more upset that the checks they put in place are preventing 4.9.3 from installing when it would probably work good enough.

dmackdaddy 06-20-2007 10:46 AM

I manage a QA GLES server and we have Good in production as well but we test with what's released not BETA, so I'll have to use my Q for work mail as I use POutlook for my personal E2K7 mail.

Here's a whole thread about Good on AKU3.5 and now WM6 for those who want more background:
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/bounty-for-c...ing-t4834.html

grimloch 06-20-2007 11:03 AM

If i get a hold of the 5.0 beta version and install it on my 6800, does my office server also need to be running a 5.0 beta for everything to sync?

dmackdaddy 06-20-2007 11:32 AM

Yes. 5.0 OTA isn't enough. The server needs it as well.

letsgoflyers81 06-21-2007 12:04 PM

Yeah I'm not happy about this. Considering the 6800 comes with the Get Good icon, I figured they'd have it ready. I e-mailed them this morning and they said late Q3, so we're a couple months away. :(

Sprintdaddy 06-21-2007 10:47 PM

Ya, I saw that too and I couldn't waiting that long for access to my company mail. So I went with the exchange ActiveSync and cancelled my Good account.

letsgoflyers81 06-22-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprintdaddy
Ya, I saw that too and I couldn't waiting that long for access to my company mail. So I went with the exchange ActiveSync and cancelled my Good account.

I'd be fine with Exchange ActiveSync but it's apparently not an option for me. I inquired about it and my only choices are Good, or Blackberry. I don't know if they don't have the latest service pack on the Exchange servers or what, but I don't get it.

grimloch 06-22-2007 09:40 AM

letsgoflyers,

I'm in the same situation! Goodlink or Blackberry. They told me something along the lines of Exchange Activesync was more of a security risk... don't know who true it is or if they just don't know what they're talking about. I know we have more BBs and Palm devices than WM, though, so maybe that's part of it.

Ugh, it's bad enough I have to put 3rd party software on my phone, and it's worse that nothing is compatible!

dmackdaddy 06-22-2007 01:22 PM

Exchange Active sync works great and uses port 443, so there aren't any security risks (assuming you use 443 and require SSL). I use Goodlink for my work mail and EX Active sync for my home mail where I have EX2007. Let me tell you that Good and BB have their days numbered with EX2007+WM6. Full on HTML mail rocks and its already included in the EX Lic. so why bother paying BB or Good?! We'll always have both here cause we have to mimic our customers but its a dieing breed IMO.

grimloch 06-22-2007 02:03 PM

dmack,

If we already have BB and Good running, is there a problem with also running EX Activesync as well? I doubt they're running EX2007, though. Does that make a difference? Thanks a lot for the insight.

jankertown 06-22-2007 02:33 PM

I emailed good about it, this was the response:

'At this time it does not appear that the Mogul is going to be supported as it has not been tested. Please continue to monitor the Good website and the Good Monitoring Portal for information regarding this device.'

dmackdaddy 06-22-2007 04:16 PM

That would suck if they didn't support it.

We have in house all 3: EXAS, BB & GOOD. All 3 will work in a corp. envt. However for BB & GOOD you need additional servers whereas EXAS is already a part of the EX setup and uses your fronte end EX server or in 2007 Client Access Server (CAS).

dmackdaddy 08-02-2007 07:57 PM

Good 5.0 is still on track for Q3!

Dear Motorola Good Technology Group Customer:
As you may have heard, the next major release of Good Mobile Messaging will be available in late Q3-2007. Good Mobile Messaging 5 (Good 5) will bring a range of new functionality that we believe provides the best end-user and IT experience available. This letter provides a preview of what's coming in Good 5 as well as an update on handheld support.
Good 5 gives IT the security and manageability required to protect the enterprise, while providing the mobile experience end users want. For end-users, Good 5 helps you get things done more easily and allows you to personalize the way you work. For IT, Good 5 grants you more control and manageability of your handheld fleet. Some of the new Good 5 features include:
Get Things Done Easily
• Conversation view. Need to find all the messages related to a specific thread? With the ability display email grouped by conversation, you can easily see all the emails related to a conversation. Read, file or delete emails within an email thread.
• Group and find by sender. In the vast sea of email, it's often difficult to find the particular information you need. Quickly manage your email with the view by sender option, which conveniently groups your email and allows you to search by sender.
• Complete calendaring. Easily schedule meetings from anywhere by inviting optional or required attendees. Get suggested times and conference rooms based on real-time attendee and room availability.1
• Send attachments. You can send email attachments directly from your mobile device, improving responsiveness and efficiency.
• Dial without password. Make phone calls and access your contacts without the hassle of entering a password - all while keeping your email and data secure.
Personalize the Way You Work
• Good Mobile News. Stay updated on the news that matters to you with integrated RSS feeds and rich subscription management capabilities. You can preview and read feeds all without having to leave your inbox, navigate a mobile browser or launch another application.
• Priority mail. Quickly identify messages that are important to you! With priority mail you can define and distinguish what's meaningful by sender, distribution list, who's in the "To:" or "Cc:" fields, and even meeting requests or updates.
• Outbox management. Want to catch an email and make an edit before it goes out? Robust outbox management capabilities allow you to edit, delete and reorder messages in the queue on the fly from your handheld device.
Easy-to-Manage and Secure
• Complete handheld security. Gain control over the handhelds in the enterprise with a deep level of policy controls including the ability to disable access to the camera, Wi-Fi, infrared, Bluetooth and Bluetooth discoverability.
• Advanced password management. Enforce password policies with a complete set of centralized password management and protection features, such as password quality requirements. IT can set password limits that trigger protective actions, such as data erase or user lock out, and even create a temporary password to unlock the handheld when a password has been forgotten.
• Application lockdown. Control which applications can and cannot run on the handheld devices of your mobile users, all within an intuitive and powerful policy management interface.
• Encryption management. Ensure that the data on mobile devices is protected with AES-256 encryption of selected databases, folders and even the SD card.
• Mandatory applications. Define and enforce the installation of certain applications like anti-virus software on mobile devices. Even check whether the handheld is in compliance and still running the mandated applications. If not, mobile devices will not launch Good.1
• Double-Byte support for multinationals. Simplify global deployments with Unicode support, which allows mobile users to read and write read and write in traditional and simplified Chinese, Korean as well as Japanese.
• Simplified Load balancing1. Grow your user base hassle-free with simplified load balancing capabilities that allow IT administrators to easily move users from one Good server to another without the need to re-provision users.
• Lotus Domino encrypted email support. Extend your enterprise security to your handheld. With Good Mobile Messaging 5 you can easily read and reply to Domino-encrypted email as seamlessly as though you were at your desk.
Good Mobile Messaging 5 Device Support
Good 5 will continue to support a range of enterprise-class Palm, Windows Mobile 5, and Windows Mobile 6 devices from Motorola as well as other hardware manufacturers. The exact list of supported devices will be published in the "Supported Devices" area on the Good Monitoring Portal at www.good.com/gmp when Good 5 is released.
End of Software Update for Certain Devices
As we have previously communicated, certain devices will not be supported by the Good 5 client. However, you can continue to run these devices with the Good 4.9 client software against the Good 5 server. Please check the "Supported Devices" option in the Good Monitoring Portal at www.good.com/gmp to view devices that will not be supported by the Good 5 client software.
We are very excited about Good 5 and look forward to releasing it to you. In the meantime, if you have sales-related questions, please contact sales@good.com. We thank you for your business and loyalty as a Motorola Good Technology Group customer.
Best regards,
Motorola Good Technology Group

letsgoflyers81 08-06-2007 10:48 AM

Has anyone tried this recently? After seeing the 6/25 press release just now I went to get.good.com on my Mogul and I was able to download the OTA provisioning app. This didn't work before. After entering my e-mail address and PIN, it gave me the following error:

"Good Messaging is not supported for the carrier: Sprint PCS.

Contact your IT Administrator."

I'm wondering what's causing it to fail. I was able to set up Good for my Treo 755p which was also on Sprint, so I don't think it's anything on my company's end unless they changed something since then. I'm asking my Exchange admin since he also takes care of Blackberry and Good, hopefully he can help shed some light on this. I'm also going to e-mail Good about it.

Mufasa 08-13-2007 02:05 AM

Re: Goodlink on the Mogul?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrvic
Anybody able to get Goodlink to Install? Kind of odd they included the icon for it in the rom and it doesn't seem to support it. I tried to do an OTA install of the PPC5 version and it tells me the following :

good messaging is not supported for the carrier: sprint pcs

I did try the reg edit to change the carrier name, I changed it just to Sprint and it still picks up Sprint PCS. Anybody have any ideas? or gotten it to work?

I have tried so far and have only had limited progress. The first thing I note is that the carrier name is Sprint<SPACE>PCS<SPACE><SPACE> on the PPC-6800 (Mogul). I have looked at the setup binary and it looks like they have a list of supported providers listed. This tells me the carrier check failure is occurring on the phone side not the server side--its just goofy you have to enter your pin for it to say this. I too tried the reg hack but not only does it not persist across reboots, but it also isn't used at all by Goodlink. You can check how GoodLink sees the carrier string without the pin by using Options, Handheld Information in the GoodLink setup. In theory if we can change the phone's carrier to say a supported carrier name listed in the setup binary in a way that GoodLink will use, we can install and it may not check the carrier ever again. Sprint is in the list of carriers, but not the way the Mogul shows it.

I've also tried editing in the Mogul carrier string into the binary but unfortunately don't think I'll get far since the binary is signed and detects its been tampered with. :(

Guess its the waiting game. I think the carrier name, as used by GoodLink, is probably going to be in a provider password protected programming area. Wasn't able to find any memory editing programs for PPC either (start the setup, edit the strings of providers in memory to match the Mogul).

Only if I had known that GoodLink wasn't quite supported yet before I stopped using it on my PPC-6700...

caimakale 08-13-2007 02:39 AM

I found this over on pdaphonehome. It's the PDA download link for the beta version (version 5) of Goodlink. I downloaded it and started installing but ran into a problem. I entered my email address and passkey, and it started installing, that's when I got the error that said my email address was already associated with another device. Because of this I don't know how or if this will work if your server is still running version 4.#.#. If anyone is willing to give it a shot, please post your results back here. In the meantime I will try to get my IT department to remove the association my email has with my old 6600.

Here is the link to go to on your mogul: get.good.com/gmm50/beta

Let us know how it works!

letsgoflyers81 08-15-2007 11:09 AM

I tried the beta and eventually uninstalled it. It will only work if I start the Good Launcher when connected to Verizon and it slows my Mogul down to a crawl. I think I'll wait for the official release.

aughsum 08-15-2007 09:51 PM

i thought the employer had to be running a gl5 server for this to work?

wouldnt imagine any companies will do that until an official release?

Mufasa 08-15-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aughsum

I'm thinking you may be right about this. On my Mogul, I got farther using the beta since it let me choose my carrier from a drop down (instead of failing out saying it wasn't supported), but I think GoodLink 5 support may need to be server side. The setup gets to towards the very end and stays "Downloading Services" 0% forever--even across retrys/reboots. I'm suspecting the version 5 service files need to be on the GoodLink server for your company. :(

Guess its back to the waiting game unless we can figure a way to get the older version to work.

letsgoflyers81 08-16-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa
Quote:

Originally Posted by aughsum

I'm thinking you may be right about this. On my Mogul, I got farther using the beta since it let me choose my carrier from a drop down (instead of failing out saying it wasn't supported), but I think GoodLink 5 support may need to be server side. The setup gets to towards the very end and stays "Downloading Services" 0% forever--even across retrys/reboots. I'm suspecting the version 5 service files need to be on the GoodLink server for your company. :(

Guess its back to the waiting game unless we can figure a way to get the older version to work.

Try forcing your Mogul to roam, then install again and it should work. This is what let me finish the installation, but like I said in my previous post you always have to be roaming when you start the Good Launcher and even then it's pretty buggy.

Mufasa 08-16-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
Try forcing your Mogul to roam, then install again and it should work. This is what let me finish the installation, but like I said in my previous post you always have to be roaming when you start the Good Launcher and even then it's pretty buggy.

Hmmm. This poses several questions...

How do you force roaming? Take a very long trip out of your service area? :)

In the times I have roamed, I get the error that data connections can't be established while roaming. Is there a registry hack required to enable data roaming?

Does this require a factory reset of the phone to try again after getting to the hung "downloading services" state? I noticed when I uninstall and re-install, I am no longer prompted for my provider.

When you did this, what carrier was providing your roaming coverage on your Mogul? Its possible that carriers have certain profiles and Sprint's profile is incompatible with the Mogul's configuration?

I tried forcing a non-Sprint data connection just in case the reason this worked for you is because Sprint is doing some DNS or routing trickery... I had the same "downloading services" hang when I performed the setup using my home WiFi connection instead of Sprint's data connection. Its not quite a roaming test, but I'm unsure of a good way to force data roaming.

letsgoflyers81 08-16-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mufasa
Quote:

Hmmm. This poses several questions...

How do you force roaming? Take a very long trip out of your service area? :)

In the times I have roamed, I get the error that data connections can't be established while roaming. Is there a registry hack required to enable data roaming?

Does this require a factory reset of the phone to try again after getting to the hung "downloading services" state? I noticed when I uninstall and re-install, I am no longer prompted for my provider.

When you did this, what carrier was providing your roaming coverage on your Mogul? Its possible that carriers have certain profiles and Sprint's profile is incompatible with the Mogul's configuration?

I tried forcing a non-Sprint data connection just in case the reason this worked for you is because Sprint is doing some DNS or routing trickery... I had the same "downloading services" hang when I performed the setup using my home WiFi connection instead of Sprint's data connection. Its not quite a roaming test, but I'm unsure of a good way to force data roaming.

You can come to my house, that'll force roaming. ;)

Or... go to Settings, Phone, Services, Roaming. You can set it to Sprint Only, Automatic, and Roaming Only. For data while roaming, check the box to Allow roaming and you can set it to Never ask so it won't warn you before data roaming.

You shouldn't need to do a hard reset, just try uninstalling Good completely and then install again from scratch. Make sure you're roaming during the installation and it should install the services for you.

The Mogul won't display what carrier you're roaming onto. The Operator name is just blank. In my area I'm pretty sure I'll only roam on Verizon but that could vary depending on where you live and your PRL.

Mufasa 08-16-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Or... go to Settings, Phone, Services, Roaming. You can set it to Sprint Only, Automatic, and Roaming Only. For data while roaming, check the box to Allow roaming and you can set it to Never ask so it won't warn you before data roaming.

You shouldn't need to do a hard reset, just try uninstalling Good completely and then install again from scratch. Make sure you're roaming during the installation and it should install the services for you.

Hmmm... Well I think I might be able to get further at home where I can use a combination of WiFi and roaming. I was able to roam, however, the call to #777 fails. If I am indeed roaming on Verizon (which I think is likely), I think it required a different dialing configuration. When it tries to dial and establish a data connection while roaming I get this error:

Code:

Cannot connect for an unknown reason.  To check your connection settings and change them if needed, tap Settings.  If the problem continues, reset your mobile device according to your manufacturer's documentation and try again.
I was pleased to see that my carrier string, as shown in GoodLinks "handheld information" section was indeed blank. Maybe that string being blank and having a data connection could be the key to getting this to work. Guess I'll find out when I get home.

Mufasa 08-16-2007 10:13 PM

Thank you! I finally made it through the beta install when I got home. It actually had no problems connecting to #777 at home. I proceeded with the re-install however, the system somehow changed my PDA password and I got locked out of the device (and a reboot caused it not to even load the OS fully). I did a hard reset and proceeded to install the beta off my memory card while roaming and it worked fine. So nice to be getting instant work e-mails again! :)

Mufasa 08-17-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

I tried the beta and eventually uninstalled it. It will only work if I start the Good Launcher when connected to Verizon

OK now this makes more sense to me. Once I got the beta installed and working, it stopped working after a reboot. My problem with an error trying to start data roaming came back again... Then I realized that after reboot if I connect to sprint data, then let the data connection transition to roaming and then start GoodLink, it works again--even after I switch back to sprint. It really has to be data roaming when you start GoodLink. Sounds like a configuration problem on Sprint's side if you ask me.

Anyhow, thanks again for the help! :)