PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42088)

DaveTN 10-29-2008 09:53 AM

My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off

Really interesting problem - and I think I may know the cause.

My 6800 (sprint) has been turning itself off several times a day. It only does it while I'm at work - In a hospital. I have a side pocket on the pantsleg of my scrubs where I keep my 6800. WHenever it is in the pocket it shuts off randomly. I have to remove the battery and replace it as the power button does not turn it back on and the reset button does nothing. Once it is back on, it will indicate full to almost full battery, so I have ruled that out.
I'm not close to the MRI or xray, so I have ruled that out too.
However, If I keep it in the drawer of my mobile computer cart, it stays on all day.
Ruled out movement from swinging back and forth in my pocket. I shook it vigrously to try to make it turn off.
It does not turn off when in my regular pants pockets or my motorcycle jacket pocket.

My cause/idea - static electricity. It did not do it all summer but now that it is cold out, we are using the heat more in the hospital and the humidity is very low. If I take my scrub pants or top off - while I'm hiding in a storage closet with someone (LOL - JK) Its full of static. :violent2:

Sound reasonable or could it be something else? Phone has been well cared for and is less than a year old. No water exposure or drops and I use a protective skin.

David

pringlet 10-29-2008 10:19 AM

Re: My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off

I ran into this issue a couple of times this past week.

Yesterday for example, I finished up a short phone call at about 11am and slipped the phone into my pocket. The next time I went to use it at about 12:30, it was completely off. Holding the POWER button to turn it on did nothing and plugging it into the charger only made the Red LED come on. I couldn't boot it until after I removed and replaced the battery. The battery reported a 90% charge after it rebooted.

I am running the latest stock titan ROM and the phone is usually stable for days. I recently put the seidio rubberized case back on it.

pt

weedahoe 10-29-2008 01:20 PM

So is it that your batteries arent making a good contact? Thats my first thought

DaveTN 10-29-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 483031)
So is it that your batteries arent making a good contact? Thats my first thought

That was my first thought and I cleaned the contacts on both the phone and battery. Still had the problem.

Been off work today and the phone has stayed on all day. Used my belt holster instead of pocketing it.

I too am using the rubberized case..not the seido one though.

My experience was the same as pringlets. Power button did nothing and when I removed and replaced the battery it would boot when I turned it on. Battery indicator showed 90% (probably just a coincidence though).

So the scoop is: In pocket turns off several times a day.
Out of pocket, works fine.
Gotta be from static electricity.

David

mooneyb 10-29-2008 06:38 PM

My 6800 does the exact same thing. I have to take the battery out before it will respond at all. I haven't been able to figure out a specific cause either.

arcanecho 10-29-2008 08:28 PM

Mine is doing the same thing. Started earlier this week and has yet to stop. Sometimes I have to reset it up to 3 or 4 times a day because it randomly shuts off. I have yet to find any cause. I thought it was M2D so I hard reset but to no avail. Uninstalled almost all custom apps and haven't figured cause.

JWT 10-30-2008 07:57 AM

Yep mine will do the same thing, i think the reason is due to slight impact to the device while flopping around in the cargo pocket. Mine has even turned off when I slide the key board and let it slap back in on it's own. If you drop it on a table top from about an inch away (on end) it will shut off. I have only had to pull the battery once, most times the power button works fine.

supdawg 10-31-2008 05:55 AM

Wow.. This is really weird. Just for the past week or so, I have been having the same issues as described. :scratch:

I don't use a case at all. Have to remove the batt to boot. ](*,)

Really annoying.

rfrankli 10-31-2008 08:24 AM

Mine has been doing the same thing for the last week or so also (although only happened twice). Everyone who has had this issue, please list the programs you have installed/updated/uninstalled in the past month or so so we can try to figure out a common cause of this.

Installed:
- Opera Mobile 9.5 beta 2 (from Opera Mobile official site)
- Opera Mobile 9.5 Build 2392 (from xda-developers)
- Dvha79 Adobe FlashLite 3.1 Plugin (from xda-developers)
- anryl's Adobe Flashlite 3.1 Plugin (from xda-developers)
- Sprint Windows Mobile Picture Mail (issues happened before this was installed)

Updated:
- Gmail for mobile (beta) 2.0.6.1269
- Google Maps 2.2.0.20
- Skyfire 0.8.0.7081

Uninstalled:
- Opera Mobile 9.5 beta 2
- Dvha79 Adobe FlashLite 3.1 Plugin
- anryl's Adobe Flashlite 3.1 Plugin

brettokok 10-31-2008 09:58 AM

same problem... always assumed it was from hitting something while in my pocket. And its pretty hard to get my battery cover off. When you pull the release back it just sits there so you have to use the stylus to get under the cover. Sucks when you dont notice for a few hours and then you turn it on to 3 vmails and 5 sms.

laaaaame.

bsgjunkie 10-31-2008 10:00 AM

Ummm, weird. Same thing here.... It seems as though my battery has gone down hill quickly too.

I'm running
Stock Build 19208.1.0.1

WMWifiRouter
SlingPlater Mobile
SkyFire
Google Mas
GPSToday
GeoTagger
Google Gears

Mine seems to do it more often directly atfer use. Mine has also resetted normally, during use a lot lately.

I was planning on taking it in for service until I read this.

Vinny 10-31-2008 12:30 PM

Ditto here, mine started doing this as well. Was really bad last week, not so much this week.

bsgjunkie 10-31-2008 02:44 PM

Maybe we all need to get this documented with Sprint - as it seems to be a recent problem for a lot of us. I'll go ahead and call tech support tonight and start a ticket. Others may want to do the same.

supdawg 10-31-2008 03:05 PM

I have not updated or added or removed any program in a couple of months. Never had this issue until the past week.

bsgjunkie 10-31-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supdawg (Post 488203)
I have not updated or added or removed any program in a couple of months. Never had this issue until the past week.

I think that's most of us. I can only think of one change in two months, and thats an update of Google Gears two or three weeks ago. Its very strange...

Of course, it could be something as simple as the batteries have a very specific cycle life, and since the majority of users charge every night, we're all hitting it at the same time.... Seems to be more then that though...

Vinny 10-31-2008 04:00 PM

I think mine started before google gears... but it was aroundthe same time... so maybe not...

DaveTN 10-31-2008 05:48 PM

I'm running the sprint stock 6.1 ROM. The only non stock "update" to my phone is the 3.42.50 radio.
Not much in the line of programs;
iNav Iguidance
SPB Mobile Shell
T GPS
and thats about it.

I have been experimenting. If I put the phone in my jeans pocket nothing happens. In my scrubs pocket it shuts off several times. My shirt pocket (scrubs) it stays on.
OK, now the "TMI" part. I have really hairy legs and when I wear my scrubs at work I get a lot of static. (Yes, I use fabric softener... :-) ) On dry, low humidity days, especially in the colder months, the static is bad and it has been recently. It seems like that is when it shuts off the most - and consistently.
I have tried shaking it and it stays on. It has fallen out of my shirt pocket once and stayed on. I have run to "code blues" with it in my shirt pocket and it really gets jostled around...but it stays on.
I don't get a lot of static on my scrubs top because I wear a t-shirt under it.
Also, if I wear it in my holster and I run up and down stairs (a lot at work) it does not shut off.
If I leave it in my mobile workstation (a rugged cart with a really cool tablet pc, extended battery and locking drawers) It stays on.

My guess...and bet is on the static electricity. Not the momentary static shocks like when you touch something bt more like the static "aura" that you get if you take off a sweater and it makes the hair on your arms (and for some of us chests and backs...LOL) stand on end. That kind of static.

David

mooneyb 10-31-2008 07:24 PM

Interesting theory. Mine only shuts off when I am at work. I am a teacher and I always were slacks to work. There is always a good bit of static built up in my slacks. My leg hair stands on end when I take them off. As far as I remember work is the only place that my phone does its little shut down thing. When I'm not at work I wear my good ole cotton jeans.

supdawg 11-01-2008 03:14 AM

The static theory seems pretty good so far. The air has been colder and obviously drier too. Although not sure why I didnt notice it last year. Perhaps it is a combination of aging components and static?

shaggylive 11-01-2008 03:28 AM

while your problem might be static (try a piece of fabric softner in the pocket)

I had this problem with my main phone with my extended battery, but not my other phone. if it got bumped wrong it would shut off. I narrowed it down to the battery being slightly shorter and in that phone it was just enough. I put a small peice of black tape on the battery and problem is solved.. I still found it strange only 1 phone has the issue though. probably just wear on the contact springs, they've had a year of abuse by now..

thomlanphear 11-01-2008 08:55 AM

I gave my Mogul to one of my co-workers and he came to me this week with the same issue. I'll have to check with him about the static. We wear uniforms so I guess it could be caused by static build up so I'll have to look into it. I have the Diamond with no issue but I usually leave it in the holster. I think I have seen him put the mogul in his pocket. It does seem a little weird to have it happening to so many people all over at the same time. Any possibility that Sprint did something or is it possible that the latest PRL could have done something. Just seems weird

mooneyb 11-01-2008 12:33 PM

I'm Alltel and its happening to me.

bsgjunkie 11-02-2008 02:12 PM

Does this seem strange to anyone else?

I'm not too worried since I, as well as most of you, have insurance on the phone. In fact if it is a fault in the phone it may be a good reason for us to be "upgraded" to a touch pro here soon ;)

DaveTN 11-03-2008 05:01 PM

I've been off work for three days now and my phone has performed flawlessly on a single charge. I have carried it in my pants pocket (jeans), my cargo pants pocket (100% cotton). Did this to rule out the banging around in the pocket theory and the phone stayed on all day. Also carried it in the holster some while I was wearing my jeans.

My scrubs are 65% polyester and 35% cotton and thus would be more prone to static accumulation.

I may try the fabric softener sheet in my pocket....heck, I've found them in my pants leg before, but not since the phone problem.

Interesting side note. My step son is having a similar problem with his LG Rumor. Guess what....happens most of the time when he is wearing nylon sweat pants!

I'll report back after the dryer sheet test. Will go half the shif without the dryer sheet and half with.

David

matsonjb 01-13-2009 12:48 PM

Guys I want to say that this theory is correct. I had the same thing happened to me as the phone was on my bed. I have a micro suede comforter that can be staticly charged and I noticed the same thing as mentioned. Thanks for help...

j3phone 04-05-2009 04:36 PM

I know what makes my Mogul 6800 shut off spontaneously.

I purchased a larger battery. Whenever I stick this battery into the phone, it shuts off spontaneously. When I install the original battery, it never shuts off spontaneously.

Now, the question is ..... why?

mooneyb 04-06-2009 08:06 PM

My phone is getting worse about this. It is about to the point that i am going to have to move on. It is dying several times a day. I don't ever know how long its been off. I just wish there was some way to fix the problem.

entwined82 04-06-2009 08:14 PM

Seek out a new battery or a new battery cover. Mine with an extended battery does this once in a while. Its rare but it does happen.

jayr0422 04-07-2009 10:26 AM

I was having this problem a couple days ago so I called Sprint and they sent me out another phone...

sdruid 04-07-2009 07:37 PM

I've been using the last "Kitchen" since Dec., radio upgrade, unlocked phone, and Verizon GPS hack with no problems. A week or 2 ago my phone starts resetting itself randomly and I finally called Verizon tech support (This is a brand new phone I got in December 200:cool: and they recommended that I upgrade my phones firmware -> .....yes,!!! flashing my phone !!!!
The representative I talked to even asked if I had a data cable available...
I was having an outage issue with my GPS at about the same time but it wasn't that important at the time as opposed to have a phone that worked.

This was the site they sent me to get the rom to flash my phone with: http://www.pcdphones.com/phone_downl...zon%20Wireless

I flashed to "MR2" and phone seemed to work fine minus all the a nice goodies that come with the "kitchen", so could this be related somehow to the GPS outage ?

thanks...

PDAPhoneJunkie 04-07-2009 07:49 PM

It very well could be your battery prongs are not meeting right. I bought a cheap EbAy battery and just a little but of movement and the phone powers off. I recomend using only original HTC batteries.

harpua 04-08-2009 10:07 PM

hey, vzw user here. same stuff. my 6800 has been shutting off and the only way to bring it back is by popping the battery. i'm going with the static ruling. but as someone else had posted, not a bad idea to just go ahead and get the refurb/upgrade if this keeps up