PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   magnet in pouch rotates screen (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35836)

Rangerdave 08-27-2008 03:27 AM

magnet in pouch rotates screen

anyone else notice this?--just found it

ejbleendreeble 08-27-2008 08:15 AM

Re: magnet in pouch rotates screen

You're quite correct -- it does.

I use a stick-on magnet on the dash to hold my Mogul when I'm driving. When I attach the Mogul, it will chime and the screen turns 90 degrees. When I remove it, it will return to its normal orientation.

I use AP button to allocate a soft key to rotating the screen so I can use the GPS etc. when I'm driving. It's become so habitual I no longer think about it -- until I read your post, that is.

No idea why it happens ....

weedahoe 08-27-2008 08:39 AM

Hmmm.....I have a side hip pouch with a magnetic clip and I dont get this effect. Am I missing something.

blasphemous_prime 08-27-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 395500)
Hmmm.....I have a side hip pouch with a magnetic clip and I dont get this effect. Am I missing something.

The magnets have to be a bit heavier in order for it to take effect. I tried this with a Verizon magnetic holster a while back on my friend's xv6800.

cornelious2 08-27-2008 09:59 AM

I cant replicate it, and I used a pretty strong magnet.

MrShoe 08-27-2008 11:06 AM

Interesting.

I had to have the magnet on the left side of the phone from the scroll wheel down to the WiFi button.
Front/back/edge all react about the same.
I can see the value when mounting as GPS in the auto. Wonder if it could cause any problems?

jaminmc 08-27-2008 11:21 AM

The reason why this works is because there is a magnet behind the screen right about where it shows the time when it is open. That is how the phone knows that it is closed, the sensor senses the magnet, and knows it is closed. When you bring in another magnet into the equation, it cancels it out and therefore changes the screen orientation.

Actually, most flip phones use magnets to sense if the phone is open or closed, (Well, Some use a little switch). Some laptops use magnets too for this. Like my macbook. If I stick a magnet by my "fn" key, it goes to sleep because it thinks it is closed. then I remove it, and it wakes up.

subhumanderelict 08-27-2008 04:12 PM

My co-worker's Nokia N95 had a similar issue where he would take it out of his holster (with a magnetic clasp) when someone was calling him and it would hang up on the caller. I think the answer/ignore funtion is tied into the sliding mechanism on his phone. His friends and family were getting a little ticked off at him after a while. :-P

treeboy 08-27-2008 04:38 PM

Yep! I have the stock HTC pouch and the magnet held just under the Voice command button rotates the screen.

weedahoe 08-28-2008 09:08 AM

Are you guys pulling my leg and laughing at me because U just took my 68 out and out the magnet right beside the voice command button and didnt get anything except looking retarted by rubbing the phone up against it.