PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   1800 mAH stock sized battery? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35558)

pleasestirme 08-23-2008 03:41 PM

1800 mAH stock sized battery?

I found this battery over at PocketPCTechs.

It is 1800 mAH and they say it has the same "footprint" as the OEM battery.

Here is the link:
http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...er+Battery.htm

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this battery and if it actually fits under the stock battery cover on the Titan? If it does fit it sounds like a much better option than Seidio's 1650 mAH battery since obviously it has a higher capacity.

PleaseStirMe

t0mmyr 08-24-2008 01:42 AM

Re: 1800 mAH stock sized battery?

sprint sent me a new battery with my insured mogul replacement that says its 1590mah and its made by Sony, how weird

whats the stock battery rating at? im currently relocking my old phone so i dont want to move the battery at the moment

unclutchable 08-24-2008 02:49 AM

Stock battery size is 1500mAH. This looks like a pretty good option if you want to use a stock-sized battery. Personally though, I don't really see a need for a bigger battery. Mine lasts days with some pretty decent usage.

Maybe if my current battery malfuctions, I'd probably look into this 1800mAH unit.

pleasestirme 08-24-2008 02:19 PM

I recently got the Blueant M1 speakers. They are expensive but a sweet portable BT speaker that pretty much rock. I've been using them in my backyard alot this summer.

I attach to the internet with WiFi to listen to internet radio stations. I also have BT on for the speakers. Using all of that at once jamming music has proven to drain my battery too quickly.

I dont want to make my phone all bulky with an oversized battery so I have been searching for the best "stock/OEM sized" battery.

I'm thinking these 1800 mAH are the best option but if anyone has found anything better I'd love to know.

Thanks
PleaseStirMe

hippity.hoppity 08-24-2008 06:54 PM

Loving the 1800mAh battery. Much better than the battery that Seidio sells. Seidio is known for stretching the truth about their battery ratings as well.

pleasestirme 08-25-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippity.hoppity (Post 392827)
Loving the 1800mAh battery. Much better than the battery that Seidio sells. Seidio is known for stretching the truth about their battery ratings as well.

So it is the same size as the OEM then. Sweet thanks hippity.hoppity!

I'm going to order it today then.

PleaseStirMe

toinejuan 08-31-2008 02:19 AM

the hell with that, they have them on Amazon for $10, I won't have my mogul till friday but this is one hell of a deal linkage http://www.amazon.com/1800mAh-Batter...0162524&sr=8-5

nick aguas 08-31-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toinejuan (Post 399678)
the hell with that, they have them on Amazon for $10, I won't have my mogul till friday but this is one hell of a deal linkage http://www.amazon.com/1800mAh-Batter...0162524&sr=8-5

why is the photo of the OEM battery? anyway, imma check out that battery. for 10 bucks? who can beat that.

pleasestirme 09-01-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toinejuan (Post 399678)
they have them on Amazon for $10, I won't have my mogul till friday but this is one hell of a deal linkage http://www.amazon.com/1800mAh-Batter...0162524&sr=8-5

Nice find toinejuan. If Nick is going to buy it maybe he can give us the low down.

Either way I bought the 1800mAH from PocketPCTechs. It arrived on Friday so I have had all weekend to play with it. I have not done any comprehensive testing but I can say it has been lasting longer.

I am a heavy user. The stock battery almost lasted all day for me but normally I had to charge it as some point. This new battery has been lasting all day. I'll have a better feel for how much more capacity it has after I go back to work this week :(, and tether.

PleaseStirMe

jmorton10 09-01-2008 09:34 PM

I just received two of the 1800 batteries from PPCTECHS.

I will be a pretty good test, I drain the hell out of my batteries as I use Slingbox mobile for hours every day at work. My screen is basically never turned off all day & I have never gotten a full day out of any battery (including a 1650 Seidio)

~John

adamjt 09-03-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 400881)

I will be a pretty good test, I drain the hell out of my batteries as I use Slingbox mobile for hours every day at work. My screen is basically never turned off all day & I have never gotten a full day out of any battery (including a 1650 Seidio)

~John

Any update on how the 1800mah batteries worked for you?

jmorton10 09-03-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjt (Post 402339)
Any update on how the 1800mah batteries worked for you?

I've been out of town & didn't get the new batteries charged.

I am now in my office at work & one of the new 1800's in sitting here in a cradle charging so I will try it out later today or tomorrow.

~John

Brad1279 09-03-2008 04:30 PM

iam gonna try the one from amazon, only 12.08 with shipping not bad, worth the try, i have insurance if anything happens, will let everyknow if someone doesnt beat me to it.

jmorton10 09-04-2008 09:31 AM

I put a fully charged 1800mAH battery in my phone at 9:15 AM, set the screen backlight to the brightest setting & fired up Slingbox Mobile.

I will leave it running until the phone shuts down & I will post back with the results.......

~John

jmorton10 09-04-2008 01:03 PM

Well, so far I am not impressed with this battery at all.

The phone went totally dead in (2) 1/2 hours. This is BY FAR the shortest battery life I have ever gotten (I have never had the phone die before lunch, no matter what I used it for).

I will run the batteries totally dead & recharge a few times as that sometimes seems to increase the capacity slightly, but so far anyway I am not impressed at all............

~John

Brad1279 09-04-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 403861)
Well, so far I am not impressed with this battery at all.

The phone went totally dead in (2) 1/2 hours. This is BY FAR the shortest battery life I have ever gotten (I have never had the phone die before lunch, no matter what I used it for).

I will run the batteries totally dead & recharge a few times as that sometimes seems to increase the capacity slightly, but so far anyway I am not impressed at all............

~John

ouch... that sucks, where did u get urs from?

jmorton10 09-05-2008 06:31 AM

Ppctechs

jmorton10 09-05-2008 08:39 AM

To get a better idea on a fair baseline for comparison, today when I get to work I will do the exact same test using a stock 1500 mah battery.

I leave the phone plugged in while in my truck (& using BT hands-free), so it will be fully charged when I get there. I haven't changed any setting since yesterday, so again I will start the Slingbox Mobile (which is one of my ALL TIME favorite apps) & run it until the phone dies.

Stayed tuned for the results.............

~John

jmorton10 09-05-2008 11:45 AM

Well, I don't really get it but the stock 1500 battery still has 25% life left in it at this point..........

~John

Fitefreak 09-05-2008 07:59 PM

I ordered the 1800mAh from Amazon for $9.99 but I received a 1500mAh. If you go back to the link that toinejuan posted you'll see they've changed the price to $42.01. I e-mailed them in hopes they'll honor the initial price that I paid.

Protonus 09-05-2008 08:50 PM

jmorton and others... Few things here, no particular order...

1.) 1800 mAH compared to 1500 mAH is a 20% increase over stock. That's virtually nothing. There is a good likelihood you'd never notice the difference even if there was one. If the Stock battery lasted 3 hours under "X" conditions, then the 1800 mAH battery would (theroetically) last 20% longer, which is only 3.6 hours - which is approximatly 35 minutes longer. If stock lasted 8 hours under "Y" conditions, then 1800 mAH battery would (theoretically) would last 9.6 hours, about an hour and a half longer.

2.) mAH is not the same concept as taking a container, and rating it for volume, IE: "this bottle is 2 liters". Batteries simply do not work that way. Here is a good explanation on batteries, charging rates, AH ratings, etc.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Different companies may be measuring the mAH rating using different discharge currents. That throws the comparison right out the window. You really need to know their discharge current (ie, is it C/20, etc?) to know for sure if the comparison is fair.

3.) Batteries generally do not discharge in a linear fashion (as in they may discharge faster/slower at the start/end). You must start / stop testing at the same point in the charge cycle for accurate testing. I recommend starting at full charge, and running the device till it's dead. I would also record the start / end voltage.

4.) The relationship between current draw (demand, etc) - and how long the battery lasts, is ALSO not linear. This is due to the Peukert Effect. The higher the load / current draw / demand, etc, the FASTER the battery is discharged, relative to a lighter load. In other words, (random numbers/example), say you had a 500 mAH current draw on the phone, and the battery lasted 4 hours; you might be inclined to think that a 250 mAH current draw, might allow the battery to last 8 hours. That is NOT the case, in fact the smaller current draw will allow the battery to last even longer then anticipated.

As such it is CRITICAL when comparing batteries, that the discharge rate or current draw is known. An easy way to do this, would be to use a program like acbPowerMeter (it's free and graphs).
http://www.acbpocketsoft.com/Product...verview-2.html
I would do something like, enable Wi-Fi, and stream media continuously, and verify the average current draw. Run the battery dead doing this, verifying the same average current draw throughout. Then do the same thing again with the new battery. Remember testing is more accurate when you run multiple samples/tests and average.

5.) Batteries, even lithium rechargeables like this, have a break in period. You must completely discharge and recharge them several times, before their max life is obtained. There isn't a "memory effect" per se with Lithium, so it won't damage the battery to not fully discharge/recharge, but you won't see the maximum life until several cycles are completed. I would do this at least 10 times, for a fair comparison, on the new battery before "testing".

Hopefully this clears up some of the conjecture / noobery so that a fair comparison can be done...

Last thing I'll note, I have the stock battery, and I'm not thrilled at the performance. However, I didn't want to get an extended. So, instead, for around $4 shipped from ebay, I bought one of those retractable USB to mini 5pin usb cables. Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-A-to-mini-US...QQcmdZViewItem
There are lots on ebay from many sellers. That's just the first I saw.
Retracts to a tiny assembly like 3" long that I can throw in my pocket. When extended it's 3 foot. Now I can charge my phone really anywhere - my xbox 360, any computer, laptop, any car / home charger that's usb... etc. Plus I can sync my phone or use nueMassStorage to access content on my SD card, virtually anywhere.. I keep one in my car, and one in my pocket all the time. USB provides around 500 mAH of charging power which is quite significant, if you're not drawing a lot of power on the phone while charging (ie turn off Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and cellular data connections while charging for best effect..)

JimSmith94 09-05-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitefreak (Post 405225)
I ordered the 1800mAh from Amazon for $9.99 but I received a 1500mAh. If you go back to the link that toinejuan posted you'll see they've changed the price to $42.01. I e-mailed them in hopes they'll honor the initial price that I paid.

I just got mine from that Amazon link today too, and it is also only 1500mAh! :( I rechecked my order online, and both it and the paper invoice in the package said 1800mAh. :scratch:

The seller of mine (through Amazon) was Selectinventory, Inc. Did you email Amazon, the seller, or both?

gorelow 09-05-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 400881)

~John

id love to know the results. i ahve this gorgeous mogul and i want to see the screen at full bright and run gps today but i wouldnt even think about doing these things and i have an extended batteries but not 1800. any price would be worth it i think to have freedom to do whatever you want, even if you had to charge it at night

JimSmith94 09-06-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith94 (Post 405394)
I just got mine from that Amazon link today too, and it is also only 1500mAh! :( I rechecked my order online, and both it and the paper invoice in the package said 1800mAh. :scratch:

The seller of mine (through Amazon) was Selectinventory, Inc. Did you email Amazon, the seller, or both?

I emailed the seller through Amazon and got this reply in about 10 minutes:
Quote:

Thank you for the message,

We did have a mistake where the batteries did mix up, the 1500 and the 1800.

I will ship you another one with the 1800, just keep the 1500 as a gift from us for the mistake.

-Sam

Protonus 09-06-2008 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith94 (Post 405457)

Nice! It's reasons like this I like buying things online... try getting service like that in a retail store!

I edited my previous post btw, added some links, a little more info, and fixed all the horrible spelling/grammer mistakes I made since I typed it in a hurry (in firefox, so no inline spell check).

Fitefreak 09-06-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith94 (Post 405457)

Yes, I emailed them directly too. They told me of the shipping error and are working on it but they have yet to tell me they're shipping me an 1800mAh. Hopefully they will.

pleasestirme 09-08-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protonus (Post 405283)
5.) Batteries, even lithium rechargeables like this, have a break in period. You must completely discharge and recharge them several times, before their max life is obtained. There isn't a "memory effect" per se with Lithium, so it won't damage the battery to not fully discharge/recharge, but you won't see the maximum life until several cycles are completed. I would do this at least 10 times, for a fair comparison, on the new battery before "testing".

Protonus is right the battery needs a break in period. Now that my battery seems to be even more broken in I am liking it alot better. My stock battery had about an 8 hour life where this one is lasting for more than 10 hours of typical use.

PleaseStirMe

yachtspecco 09-18-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitefreak (Post 405489)
Yes, I emailed them directly too. They told me of the shipping error and are working on it but they have yet to tell me they're shipping me an 1800mAh. Hopefully they will.

Ditto here. Amazon from Select Inventory and same promise. Any one who ordered one of these received the 1800 ma replacement they originally ordered yet?????
John:silent:

JimSmith94 09-18-2008 05:04 PM

I got this email from them this Tuesday:
Quote:

Thank you for bieng patient, all new battery orders have been sent out.
We do apologize for the mixup and within a few days, you should have the new and correct battery. We would like for you to keep the battery you have recieved as a gift from us for the mistake.
If anyone feels that they have been inconvienenced, please let us know, we will also offer you a refund. We take our business extremly seriously and expect that every customer is happy in dealing with us and with the quality of our communication, products, shipping and shipping time.
Please let us know if you need anything else.
Thank You so much.
-Sam from Selectinventory.
My mail hasn't come yet today, but I expect it in the next day or two. Seems like they wouldn't be sending out emails if they planned on scamming everybody.

yachtspecco 09-23-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith94 (Post 422407)
I got this email from them this Tuesday:My mail hasn't come yet today, but I expect it in the next day or two. Seems like they wouldn't be sending out emails if they planned on scamming everybody.

I sent an email asking if it had been shipped as promised and they said it had so I am waiting also.
I received an email from Amazon today asking if I wanted to rate my transaction for an OEM 1500 ma HTC battery? They have done a switcheroo on the product description from when we all ordered the 1800 and it reflects in their correspondence.
John

jmorton10 09-23-2008 04:10 PM

I have two 1800's I have been using for a while now. They work OK, but there is almost zero difference between these & a stock 1500.........

~John

Fitefreak 09-26-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmith94 (Post 422407)
I got this email from them this Tuesday:My mail hasn't come yet today, but I expect it in the next day or two. Seems like they wouldn't be sending out emails if they planned on scamming everybody.

I received the same email from them on Tuesday Sept 16th and my battery is still not here. Has anyone received theirs yet?

JimSmith94 09-26-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitefreak (Post 434160)
I received the same email from them on Tuesday Sept 16th and my battery is still not here. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Thanks for the reminder. Mine hasn't shown up either, so I just emailed them again.

Fitefreak 10-01-2008 05:47 PM

Hey Jim have you heard anything? They've stopped replying to my emails.

JimSmith94 10-01-2008 06:52 PM

I got this on the 26th, but it still hasn't shown up.
Quote:

A new one was sent mid last week.

-Sam
I'm about to give up hope, although the stock OEM battery for $9.99 is still a good deal.

yachtspecco 10-06-2008 11:15 AM

This is starting to smell funny. We were all assured that the posting was correct but the stock battery being shipped was in error. I'm beginning to think that the posting was in error and has since been corrected but the company is prolonging the inevitable trying to stay in Amazons good favor as long as possible before they get cut off from bad feedback and customer dissatisfaction.
At least we all received a stock battery for a decent price. I'll be delightfully surprized if I see the 1800 ma battery show up as promised but I'm not holding my breath.....
John

JimSmith94 10-06-2008 11:35 AM

I'm going to email them again, and threaten to leave negative feedback if the new battery doesn't show up this week. Maybe if we all do that, they will either really send the battery, or at least fess up.

Fitefreak 10-06-2008 04:40 PM

Maybe putting something like 'they scammed a bunch of us at PPCGeeks' in the feedback might get them to respond.