PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Instructions for taking apart a mogul. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=30255)

ksemt7781 06-26-2008 02:43 AM

Instructions for taking apart a mogul.

First off I just wanted to put this out here because I thought it might help some people who either need to fix a peice on their mogul, or just want to take it apart for morbid couriosity. Second, its kinda rough because I was trying to type it while in a sprint store at work. I will clean it up shortly and add photos. And if the demand is great enough I'll make a video of a full feild strip and reassembly of the mogul and any other ppc that sprint carries.

This is a very dificult phone to take apart. But Im going to try to break it down for you.
1. Remove the battery cover, battery, and stylus.
2. remove the 4 screws inside the battery compartment. You will need a T6 to do this. The screw on the lower left should have a white sticker covering the screw head.
3. Using something like a guitar pick, you will need to remove the back housing from the main board and key board. Slide the keypad open and starting just below the space bar wedge the pick betweine the keyboard and edge of the housing. Slide the pick in both directions around the keyboard until the back housing is loose and you can easily remove it by hand.
4. Using a small philips screw driver, remove the 4 screws on the main board that hold it to the keyboard. There are two along the very top edge of the phone and two along the bottom edge of the phone.
5. Carefuly lift and slide the mainboard to the right so you can see the ribbon cables attached to the underside of the main board on the left.
6. Slide the guitar pick betwine each of the 3 ribbon cable attachment points on the main board and turn the pick like a key to pop the cables loose from the board. The last part of this step takes a bit of force. Pull the ribbon cables away from the main board as they are attached with cloth tape.
7. Remove the tape holding the camera to the video ribbon cable.
8. Now remove the 4 silver screws you see on the back of the keyboard with a philips screwdriver. This will remove the keyboard from the front housing slide mechanizm. Remove the keyboard from the front housing.
9. remove the 4 philips screws son the top and bottom cover plates, then remove the plates with your guitar pick.
10. Remove the only silver philips screw you can see. Then using the same method we used in step one, pop the front housing from the black metal plate and slide asemblely.
11. Using your pick pop the silver ribbon cable (the one that had the silver screw in it) loose from the front navigation keys.
12. Push, the screen from the front side to pop it loose from the front housing. It is held in by cloth tape so a few peices of tape will break but that is normal.
13. Near the screen you will see a large flat ribon cable that is silver and covered with cloth tape. Remove the cloth tape to expose the screen connection.
14. You will see a small ribbon cable going into a brown and white clip attached to the big ribbon cable. Lift up on the brown end of the clip and it will release the small screen ribbon cable from the clip.
15. Installitation is the reverse of removal.

If this post helped you in any way, dont forget to say thanks!

ch99tj 01-06-2009 07:27 PM

Re: Instructions for taking apart a mogul.

Hi;
I stumbled accross this. It should be a big help when I replace my HTC 8925 charging port on my Mogul. I've been stalling and it won't get recongnized at all since the prongs are all bent.

mopar_hendrix 01-06-2009 09:00 PM

Brb, gonna dig out my old mogul if I have it still just to take it apart.

hhaha

mopar_hendrix 01-19-2009 05:27 PM

And it's a bit harder to put back together then it is to take apart, anyone need any broken mogul parts? haha

wkwilley 01-19-2009 07:14 PM

There is already a good video on You Tube. Just done mine last weekend

kenton_supreme 01-20-2009 12:26 AM

Can more memory be added?

pickthecrowdup 01-20-2009 08:03 PM

Yeah.. So I dropped my Mogul and now it vibrates very slowly and sounds like a fart. Do you know, since you have already taken it apart, if that is something I might be able to fix via opening it up?

MrObvious 01-20-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickthecrowdup (Post 654653)
Yeah.. So I dropped my Mogul and now it vibrates very slowly and sounds like a fart. Do you know, since you have already taken it apart, if that is something I might be able to fix via opening it up?

Wanna record this? lol

nelly04 01-20-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickthecrowdup (Post 654653)

If you can get another vibrator (ewwww you people are sick. lol).... Its soldered to that main board when you take off the first cover off the back!

dashiot 01-21-2009 12:33 AM

Hey ksemt7781, you still around?