PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Car stereo decks with built-in bluetooth for music and phone, need feedback (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=29339)

wjrandon 07-07-2008 12:24 PM

Re: Car stereo decks with built-in bluetooth for music and phone, need feedback

I own the Sony MEX-BT5100 and I've been nothing but pleased with it's performance. I stream both mp3's and XM Radio Online from my HTC Mogul and I have nothing but prise for this units performance. I've been told that sometimes my calls are clearer when I'm talking into my dash than when I'm holding my Mogul to my head. Of course, MIC performance is subject to driving conditions. If I'm traveling at a high rate of speed on a noisy interstate I have to speak louder than usual but it's still clear enough that I can give vocal commands to automated telephone operators and have my instuctions be understood.

CopyCounsler 07-07-2008 12:50 PM

do you have subs?

If so, play something with some bass. do you hear the subs fully or do they sound dampened?

I am puzzled at the fact that you think you have good - scratch that - full sound when I am thinking the bluetooth bottleneck is in the phone, not the receiver...

Copy

ScrapMaker 07-07-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopyCounsler (Post 338850)
no one seems to care that bluetooth doesn't output full range. It's like I'm taking my AM radio I built out of 2 transistors and wiring it up to my radio. then I take my pocket pc and broadcast.

Copy

oh, I care. It sounds like garbage. I don't use it, and I can't evenaive listen to satellite radio... the quality is far too low...

wjrandon 07-07-2008 05:44 PM

Technology is going to do nothing but improve, sit back and enjoy what you're capable of doing today. The future is looking bright and sounds fantastic.

jayrodclg 07-07-2008 06:03 PM

i own the Pioneer AVIC-D3X in-dash navigation system. the d3x has BT phone/music capabilities and iPod connection/control. i love it. no problems, voice quality is excellent on both ends. BT audio isnt perfect but it works well enough to keep me happy.

ScrapMaker 07-07-2008 08:06 PM

I compare BT audio to FM radio..

germie 07-12-2008 11:36 PM

Just installed this unit
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385079386.html
Has an external mic. Purchase price of $139 at Fry's. I didn't need anything fancy. Bluetooth audio sounds amazing.

ScrapMaker 07-13-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germie (Post 345320)
Just installed this unit
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...385079386.html
Has an external mic. Purchase price of $139 at Fry's. I didn't need anything fancy. Bluetooth audio sounds amazing.

When you say that, do you mean it sounds as good as the CD the song was originally stored on?

CopyCounsler 07-14-2008 09:31 AM

I have yet to see *ANY* receiver receive lower and higher end of the spectrum frequencies. Please please please someone prove me that such a device actually exists and it is not the limitation of the phone's bluetooth...

please

Copy

ScrapMaker 07-14-2008 10:40 AM

Technically, the A2DP profile is MORE than sufficient to play fairly-decent audio... there is a total bandwidth of 723kbps available in BT 2.0. A chunk is allocated to A2DP... but what size is this chunk? I can't seem to find this information... What compression method is used? That matters, a lot--because most people are already listening to some sort of compressed file, whether that is "HD" FM radio, MP3/AAC/WMA, or satellite radio.

Adding another layer of compression on top of that is just asking for disaster... Most people don't understand this... I actually have friends that burn songs FROM MP3s they downloaded, to AUDIO CDs, and then later, have ended up ripping them back to their PC because they lost the MP3 from before... It sounds like *** to me, but they don't seem to notice.

Although, my girl had done this with a few of her songs, and she never noticed, until she got in my car! :) you can hear everything on a decent soundsystem... it is practically unlistenable. Hearing the lows and highs completely drop out, and everything else have the consistency of muddy Jell-O isn't my idea of "quality," or "amazing," sound.

cable-to-stereo = no added compression = win = not being lazy

Oh, and while I'm rambling... IF YOU OWN AN IPOD... please, for the love of God, turn off "normalization," or whatever the hell they call it. It's an option under iTunes... it completely destroys your music. My girlfriend had this enabled on hers, and her brand-new CDs were sounded terrible... I had almost given up, but then I remembered there was some weird option in iTunes... after disabling it, the "fullness" returned... I think it re-compresses the audio and raises/lowers the audio level... Yeah-- double-encoding is terrible...